Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Woody Allen Hits Amazon With $68M Suit Over Killed Film Deal & “Baseless Allegations”

https://deadline.com/2019/02/woody-allen-amazon-lawsuit-movie-contract-allegations-1202551882/

I hope he wins. No matter if Woody Allen is innocent or not, Amazon knew about those allegations before they signed the deal. Typical Hollywood hypocrisy. 

21 minutes ago, James said:

Just watched Mortal Engines. I was entertained and then I checked the budget. How in the world did this cost only 100m? It looked more expensive than anything Marvel or DC put out. 

That was an other: We are receiving phone call at deadline that it did cost much more than 100m case:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/mortal-engines-bombs-at-the-box-office-1202520828/

Some film finance sources who were even asked to participate in the project claim that the production cost is even higher than the $110M being floated around.

That would make sense, projects like that are heavily co-financed and they will have many people that have passed on it knowing about the planned cost at least.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

People who love nothing more in this world than to point a finger at someone and say "hypocrisy" like a magic word are definitely my favorites

There is also some mathematics to it, factorial (!) make it almost certain will be hypocrite outside some crazy extremist/fundamentalist.

If you make 100 statement and 100 actions, the chance than none of the action / statement does not goes in logical opposition on the 99 others (or the implication when you combine some) are almost nill, we are all imperfect walking contradiction, molding our action and statement along to make them vaguely cohere.

Amazon sign a nice contract with Allen knowing full well all of the accusations yes, but Amazon do not care about movies they want product/publicity for a platform they sell.

Allen big name what the thing they were buying, remove is prestige and they are not interested, forcing cast into this is not worth it and so on, not sure it is hypocrisy, not sure they ever postured themselves as being in this for the art and remove it because of some moral purity and not a reputation for the platform/relation with press and talents business decision.

That said depending of the contract (if it had any must put the movie on the platform, X weeks in theater type of clause), Allen should win (not necessarily the asked amount obviously), I really do not see any possible defense on the Amazon side legally.

Edited by Barnack

My sister asked me for some movies on Blu-ray to watch, and among the options I offered, there was The Jungle Book, and she looked at it and said: Oh I already saw it on Netflix. And then my cousin said he also watched it. But discussing the plot with them I realised the movie they saw was the one WB dumped on Netflix. They never saw the Disney one, because it was never on Netflix here in Brazil. This may mean something.

39 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@75Live @Chewy @CoolEric258 @TwoMisfits

Thoughts on the Realmuto trade?

If Sanchez's arm troubles last year are a sign of recurring problem, it's a great trade...if not, and he could be the Cy Young of the future, it's probably not:).  But, better a bird (or an All Star) in the hand than two in the bush...so, I overall like the trade, especially if it convinces Harper or Machado to sign for less than market with us, too...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 2/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, Avatree said:

Going to the cinema drunk is never gonna end well for the film. Wikipedia has 5 paragraphs for green book plot, I fell asleep just after the first one.

First time I went drunk to the movies I went to see First Man (instead of Venom which was the other option). Not very wise of me.

I fell asleep, betraying Chazelle’s trust, whom never let me down.

Edited by Goffe

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

This better not be a waste of my NYT free articles quota

It's not it's a super interesting deep dive into the studio politics behind Paramount rn and why it declined the way it did from the 90s.