Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

TV Critics Spar With ‘Whiskey Cavalier’ Creators And Cast Over Geography And Flirtation Boundaries – TCA

(...)

The series is shot in Prague which, one TV critic described as being eastern European. “It’s actually central Europe” corrected Cohan. “You want to play that game with me?! I’m from France” the critic shot back, winning that round.

(...)

But, in 2019, one TV critic wondered if the flirtation bordered on, or crossed over the line to, harassment. The critic noted that, in the clip reel shown before the Q&A, Foley’s character said he was going to win over Cohan’s, followed by a scene in which they are in the same bed and she “feels the need to show she is armed.” Lawrence insisted those two moments in the clip reel were not related. Even so, put your money on that clip reel not surfacing again without changes.

(...)

Whiskey Cavalier became a running joke at ABC’s May Upfront presentation when, during Jimmy Kimmel’s traditional Upfront 7th inning stretch, joked “we finally came up with a title that’s worse than Cougar Town…Should we cancel it now or should we wait until you leave the room?”

When ABC Entertainment chief Channing Dungey returned to the stage, she announced, “When we’re celebrating Season 10 of Whiskey Cavalier I’m going to bring Jimmy back out there and we’re going to talk about it!”. Channing left the network a few months later, joining Netflix, as Vice President of Original Content.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/whiskey-cavalier-bill-lawrence-scott-foley-flirtation-harassment-europe-tca-1202549924/

Didn't know where to put this since a ton of threads have been about how the Fox/Disney deal is gonna kill Hollywood or whatever but Fox is expected to be making 4-5 movies a year under Disney. So basically what New Line is for WB. FWIW they released only 10 movies in 2018 (not counting that PG-13 Deadpool thing) compared to 14 in 2017 (when rumors of the sale started to emerge) so they were clearly getting ready to undergo an overhaul and cut a bunch of people either way.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-disney-will-make-21st-century-fox-disappear-1182704

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Didn't know where to put this since a ton of threads have been about how the Fox/Disney deal is gonna kill Hollywood or whatever but Fox is expected to be making 4-5 movies a year under Disney. So basically what New Line is for WB. FWIW they released only 10 movies in 2018 (not counting that PG-13 Deadpool thing) compared to 14 in 2017 (when rumors of the sale started to emerge) so they were clearly getting ready to undergo an overhaul and cut a bunch of people either way.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/how-disney-will-make-21st-century-fox-disappear-1182704

but I thought the Disney deal wouldn't have an effect on Fox's output.  that's what I've been told for the past year.

(also, it was 16 in 2018 and 25 in 2017 counting Fox Searchlight films)

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

d0oai4634z911.jpg

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fox has 15 movies (17 with Searchlight) scheduled for the rest of this year per Mojo but who knows if it'll stay that way.

Edited by cookie

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

but I thought the Disney deal wouldn't have an effect on Fox's output.  that's what I've been told for the past year.

(also, it was 16 in 2018 and 25 in 2017 counting Fox Searchlight films)

Yikes didn't realize Fox Searchlight had slowed their roll that much. I guess it's understandable considering they no longer seem to be in the acquisition game after purchasing nothing (I think) at Sundance the past two years (especially after all of their acquisitions from there within the past few years - Me & Earl & the Dying Girl, Birth of a Nation, Patti Cake$ - have turned out to be whiffs).

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I can't believe people are celebrating this deal just because it means a few more toys in the MCU. I'm assuming this includes Fox Searchlight films too, and if so, yikes. Just an awful thing for everyone, but at least we'll finally have Wolverine fucking the Hulk, right?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

I can't believe people are celebrating this deal just because it means a few more toys in the MCU. I'm assuming this includes Fox Searchlight films too, and if so, yikes. Just an awful thing for everyone, but at least we'll finally have Wolverine fucking the Hulk, right?

Pretty sure it's just actual Fox itself that'll be producing 4-5 movies a year. They mention nothing of Searchlight (which is still gonna be its own thing as of now).

Also didn't realize how dismal Fox's 2018 was overall at the box office. Bohemian Rhapsody and Deadpool 2 were the only real hits they had all year while the rest either underperformed, barely met expectations, or flopped.

Edited by filmlover

4 minutes ago, noname said:

I wish antitrust laws around the world were abolished because I hate the fact the Disney Fox merger is taking long to be completed.

This might be the worst take I've read on this site, and that's saying something.

4 minutes ago, noname said:

I wish antitrust laws around the world were abolished because I hate the fact the Disney Fox merger is taking long to be completed.

You do not want a world where anti-trust laws don't exist, trust me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

btw Searchlight and 2000 are still mentioned as "coming aboard" in that article, and are mentioned after the "4-5 films a year" sentence. So the content they produce will likely still be fine

Especially when Searchlight has put out three Best Picture nominees including one winner within just the past two years.