Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

ask someone out. let's celebrate w/ a part 2 there's actually not a lot of teen angst in the thread these days despite the title!

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

that's cuz it's all in the Telegram chat now. 

Basically this. I got some feels for a friend, but who knows if I'll act on them.

Don Newcombe passed away today. :( For those who aren’t baseball fans or aren’t familiar with baseball history, he was the second African-American player to play in Major League Baseball (following a year later than Jackie Robinson, and also playing for the Dodgers). He was Rookie of the Year in 1949 and won the Cy Young and NL MVP in 1956. Although he played for other teams he maintained his closest ties with the Dodgers and was a community advisor for the team for many years; he also helped a lot of people with sobriety issues after fighting his own battles with alcohol early in his career. 

I had the opportunity very briefly to meet him because — of all the strange weird coincidences in this world — one of my show-runners was his stepson. He was a towering figure in the baseball community and it’s a sad day today for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

So, watched my 1st 2019-released movie in theaters today - The Kid Who Would Be King.  Wouldn't have been my 1st choice, but my youngest was the only kid in the world dying to see this...and it was pretty good.  As I mentioned to my oldest girls, it was a C movie that became a B movie every time either Merlin showed up on the screen...and in good news, Merlin is in a LOT of the movie.  The rest of the cast kinda exists on the screen, but it's a different retelling with a sweet story and the requisite kid movie happy ending, so what's not to like.

And that's also what I explained to my girls...they said "how is this 89% on rotten tomatoes?" (Yes, they track this...maybe I rubbed off on them).  I said b/c there's nothing not to like in the movie, so everyone liked it, but no one loved it.  And that's where I'm at with it.  I liked it...my girls and I gave it a B-...and my boys, the target audience, both gave it wild A+s (which the youngest has been cautious about handing out lately:) and loved it - and that was the best part for me - seeing them love a non-superhero live action movie.  

It was a good $2 Tuesday movie...and I'm glad I saw it before it totally left the screen.  It's better than its box office, but that can be said for a lot of movies.  It also seems to be a movie that really never "hits" in box office anymore, which is a shame...