That One Girl

BlacKkKlansman | August 10th, 2018 | Spike Lee directing | Adam Driver, John David Washington

Great movie. The tonal shift in the end I think really caught people off guard and left an impact. Haven't heard a theater that silent since Infinity War and many people stayed in their seats through the credits. I had no idea that was Denzel's kid and now it makes sense that his voice and some of his expressions had such a familiarity to it that it was bugging me throughout the movie. I thought it was just the Spike Lee effect lol.  I definitely recognized some musical cues from Inside Man. And was it just me or was that a re-mixed version of Shawshank's prison theme when Stallworth was going into the police station for the first time? 

• Like 1

Where's John David Washington been?! He's in his mid-thirties, and this is the first time I've heard of him. I didnt know he was Denzel's son until someone told me about a week ago. I dont watch Ballers...stuff like that 🙂...he definitely has Denzel's voice pattern 🙂

I dont get the phone deal...he's undercover, and his home phone is right in the middle of a bustling police station 🤣?! There's no way the Klansman on the other end of the phone didnt hear the police and radio chatter in the background?

Edited by OdinSon2k14

2 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

TBH yes it.  which would explain why the film is getting major Oscar buzz and way better reviews. Not to mention better box office.

BK boxoffice is really good. 87.5M WW (48M dom) on 15M budget is great for any movie let alone one with a tough sell topic. Detroit cost 34M but made only 16.7M dom. No info about OS so likely wasn't released there. 

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BK boxoffice is really good. 87.5M WW (48M dom) on 15M budget is great for any movie let alone one with a tough sell topic. Detroit cost 34M but made only 16.7M dom. No info about OS so likely wasn't released there. 

it was definitely released in the UK... cos i saw it.

but yeah, detroit was kinda a mess.

2 hours ago, Curtis1986 said:

TBH yes it.  which would explain why the film is getting major Oscar buzz and way better reviews. Not to mention better box office.

I think Detroit was objectively the better picture.  I haven't seen BK, Detroit is like a 9.5/10 for me.  I would naturally find it hard for any movie in particular to be objectively better than Detroit.

• Like 1

Hah, I just saw it.

Minor miracle, because they would never release such movie in an Eastern European country.

So there was a single showing - like, ONLY on February 27th at 19:00 at Odeon Cinema!! - and NO subtitles (luckily the Shay needs none). And this only happened because the movie won some Oscar. And there were like ten people inside - and the Shay one of them. Look at the lengths I go to see a movie!!

Movie itself was quite the beast. Definitely the preachiest film I've ever seen - and I laughed many times imagining why this Spike Lee fellow foamed at the mouth when The Green Book won, lol. :) But fortunately the movie was fun enough, like the trailer suggested, so I can forgive the rest.

Didn't learn anything new though - but I can imagine many people would. Too bad they wouldn't see such movie to begin with...

Edited by shayhiri

I plan on watching this again tomorrow night with everything going on right now. Also checked to see if Do the Right Thing was available anywhere and apparently...it isn't. It would be seeing a massive resurgence in popularity right now if it were.