kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

I said this in the tracking thread but I get the sense, with the way every single industry event is getting either postponed or completely scrapped, that the move was because they were down to the wire on making the final decisions as to whether to proceed with their marketing plans or not given that the movie was 25 days away from being released to the public. Guessing they didn't want a big LA premiere with just Leto and literally nobody else in attendance.

Not a terrible decision, since this movie doesn't quite have to wow factor that something like Spider-Man has. Not worth seeing in theaters to most people during the rise of Omicron. April seems a little excessive but whatever. Knowing what happened with Delta I don't think this will be a recurring thing since it might have subsided by the time The Batman is out.

I'm fully expecting Scream 5 to go day and date on Paramount+ at this point though. That's another move that I don't think people will be braving the Omicron storm for. It's not like Scream 4 did too well, and I'm just not seeing the hype right now. Another "sins of the father" dilemma much like Matrix 4 and The Suicide Squad. They can't delay it since tickets are already on sale. So a hybrid release is pretty much their only option if Paramount wants to add a safety cushion to that movie.

22 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I personally don't think so, at least not that close to it as it will have a "too soon" vibe for it. 

Who knows though, theaters need to just hang on a little while longer and good things are coming.  March / April / May are stacking up nicely.  

Taking this here so as not to clog up unrelated discussion from the Tracking thread. And honestly, I don't buy it being "too soon".

In its original date, NWH would have been on its 7th weekend. It'll make, what, 15M that weekend? Less than that probably? It's the perfect time for some big, shiny new thing to make a splash. The discourse and interest with NWH will have been dried up and that audience would be hungry for something new and exciting. Might as well give those Spidey fans a new Spidey-related thing to chew on, since the appetite would still be strong and that demo doesn't give two craps about Omicron.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Not a terrible decision, since this movie doesn't quite have to wow factor that something like Spider-Man has. Not worth seeing in theaters to most people during the rise of Omicron. April seems a little excessive but whatever. Knowing what happened with Delta I don't think this will be a recurring thing since it might have subsided by the time The Batman is out.

I'm fully expecting Scream 5 to go day and date on Paramount+ at this point though. That's another move that I don't think people will be braving the Omicron storm for. It's not like Scream 4 did too well, and I'm just not seeing the hype right now. Another "sins of the father" dilemma much like Matrix 4 and The Suicide Squad. They can't delay it since tickets are already on sale. So a hybrid release is pretty much their only option if Paramount wants to add a safety cushion to that movie.

I don't think Scream is going to Paramount+ since the ticket sales are said to be a horror movie's version of Spider-Man: No Way Home at the box office.

So, I think Scream will break out, 60% of Canada shut down be damned.

3 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

This was a terrible move. It had it's best possible release date in January. Even with covid fears, this move is stupid. Now, I'm convinced this is gonna bomb

Not if they have a scene with Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man in it, which is why I think it was delayed, to film and add in a scene of Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the movie.

2 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

This was a terrible move. It had it's best possible release date in January. Even with covid fears, this move is stupid. Now, I'm convinced this is gonna bomb

Couldn't agree more, it had to compete with nothing. I would have saw this in Jan. cause there was literally nothing else to see. there is not going to be a massive shut down again. (not in the US) this movie could have hit $100m in Jan. now it will be lucky to hit $60m.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

Not if they have a scene with Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man in it, which is why I think it was delayed, to film and add in a scene of Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the movie.

That makes a little more since, they are giving up a really great date to do it though. oh well. at least I have SCREAM in a couple weeks.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Movies4Life said:

Tell me, do you think they're going to delay it to add in a scene of Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the movie??? Can't tell where you stand on this

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Movies4Life said:

This sounds like wishful thinking. There's no indication this is happening beyond a few fans wanting it (why do they want it??), and if it was just one quick scene they wouldn't need to move their marketing and release 3 months to a time with MORE competition.

Edited by thedast
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Movies4Life said:

what makes you think an Oscar nominated, Tony award winning actor like Garfield would want to be associated with this movie?