kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

On 4/5/2022 at 5:01 AM, CJohn said:

Poor Espinosa. He wants no part of this shit.

Honestly I think the guy is either a hack or incompetent with no real handle on the craft.   Back in 2014, he screwed up an adaption of a good book called Child 44 with an incredibly stacked cast.  That had all the ingredients to be great yet it got Morbius level reviews.  Safe House was dull as fuck with annoying headache inducing camerawork and Life was just whatever.   He should be making direct to redbox/dvd stuff instead.

It's wild that the credited editor on this movie (Pietro Scalia) is a two-time Oscar winner (JFK, Black Hawk Down) and four-time nominee (Good Will Hunting, Gladiator) overall. Given how many articles have been pointing out the differences between the trailer and the final movie I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day an expose is released about how it became the subject of immense studio meddling in the editing room.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

It's wild that the credited editor on this movie (Pietro Scalia) is a two-time Oscar winner (JFK, Black Hawk Down) and four-time nominee (Good Will Hunting, Gladiator) overall. Given how many articles have been pointing out the differences between the trailer and the final movie I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day an expose is released about how it became the subject of immense studio meddling in the editing room.

You make a CBM, you can expect studio meddling by the execs. They keep a close rein on their franchise.

The difference is that with Marvel Studios, you have Kevin Feige who knows how to make this kind of film, and with the SONY exces they seem pretty damn clueless.

And to be honest, you can't expect, as a director,to have the same level of control over a film meant to be a big crowd pleaser that you have with a more personal project. 

And from the reviews, a lot of what is wrong with film seems to be baked in, and  a "directors cut" might not improve it .

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

I am fully aware that films have been ruined by Studio interference but, frankly, it's also easy for a director to play the "mistreated artist" card to shift the blame if he makes a not very good movie.

And, again, going by the reviews, so much seems wrong with individual scenes that the director has to take a good portion of the  blame.

It's easy to cheer for the poor artist raped by the studio, but the reality is often more complex.

God bless Matt Smith for being the one kinda fun thing about this otherwise lame and lousy movie.* He should've played the title role. I respect Avi Arad in the role he played in making comic book movies an enduring global phenomenon. He saw their potential (especially commercially) when Hollywood still saw them as just a passing fad, thus the help set the stage for Marvel Studios. *BUT* the dude needs to quit making these movies. He either needs a honorable retirement or forced intervention, I have no preference at this point.

(Never understood the Leto hype and this does him zero favors. Never been impressed with him as an actor, dude out got out-acted by a pro wrestler in Blade Runner 2049. In this, he has the charisma of a brick. This should kill the would-be movie star of Leto but because he has an Oscar and he's white, he'll get more chances I'm sure. Marvel dodged a bullet when they looked at him for Dr. Strange.)

*=The hype is real about those post-credits scenes, they have to be seen to be believed. Dumb, baffling, desperate, and amateurish. When it comes to superhero movie credit tags, we might've jumped the shark. 

10 hours ago, filmlover said:

I think it's pretty obvious. When you've seen enough movies, you can tell when something got monkeyed around heavily with in post and in terms of spandex films, this reminded me of Daredevil* (the film, not the show) and funny enough Suicide Squad. 

*=Now we've gotten the director's cut, which is a major improvement and actually watchable. David Ayer's original SS cut still hasn't seen the light of day. Not saying there is a magically decent Morbius edit out there, but I'm just trying to be fair here. 

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

The second week drop was horrendous; one of the worst in film history.

Best case scenario for SONY is they get a minor profit on this.

I'm not sure if the math is there for a profit on this off the BO alone. With VOD/DVD and finagling the accounting to get the capital coming from Netflix/Disney for their streaming deals they can say this made a profit, but the way I'm seeing it this is a bonafide bomba.

18 hours ago, AnotherDayAnotherDollar said:

I'm not sure if the math is there for a profit on this off the BO alone. With VOD/DVD and finagling the accounting to get the capital coming from Netflix/Disney for their streaming deals they can say this made a profit, but the way I'm seeing it this is a bonafide bomba.

That is why I said best case scenario for the threatrical run.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

They actually think that is going to sell the movie?

pretending they're in on the joke is the only way to sell the movie now i seem to recall universal acted like that with Cats after it had been out a couple weeks.

• Like 1