kayumanggi

MORBIUS | April 1 2022 | Sony | Returns to 1000+ theaters June 3rd because we live in a simulation

On 5/9/2022 at 7:10 AM, CJohn said:

This movie doesn't exist.

Following this across Twitch last weekend gave me Memorial Day weekend joy since I didn't get to go see Maverick, yet.  I watched bits and pieces, and there was even someone broadcasting 16 different screens of it simultaneously!  (Complete with a "HaveSex" constant mini-screen of Matt Smith's now-infamous scene in the corner for whenever the sound died down!)

Is this the moment peak cinema transcends existence as a tangential object? 

Come on folks, you KNEW Sony would attempt to capitalize off this!  And yes, any talk is better than no talk -- this has all generated the possibility of a sequel or at least some re-appearance of the character!  

Edited by Macleod

43 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

This is only the beginning of the greatest Box office comeback story of all time.

It is truly morbin' time now.

Finally people can watch this legendary scene in theaters as the makers intended 

17 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

Sony is so stupid for doing this. 

For a while it looked as if Sony films had turned the corner, and had lost the title of 'The Big Studio Who Can Do Nothing Right" but a few more decisiions like this and they will be right back down there.

Edited by dudalb

27 minutes ago, dudalb said:

For a while it looked as if Sony films had turned the corner, and had lost the title of 'The Big Studio Who Can Do Nothing Right" but a few more decisiions like this and they will be right back down there.

The jury's still out on this Morbin' move by SONY, and sure, I wouldn't join any fight for the movie as some unacknowledged piece of genius, but I think there's a bit of over-exaggerated fanboy critique of its Spider-verse properties that misses everything else the studio is accomplishing.  They were the one major holdout against streaming throughout the pandemic, and it worked out for them.  We have to be fair here to SONY CEO Tom Rothman's recent record: His contract was re-upped in July 2021, he was promoted to CEO (already being Chairman), and presided over what turned out to be SONY's best year-ever in terms of box office, and they nearly beat Disney for 2021 highest-grossing studio.  Sure, a lot of this had to do with Spider-Man: No Way Home (which is Sony's highest-grossing movie ever), but Rothman will get the cred for presiding over that, too.  His tenure has been *very* successful for the studio.  

Here's a great new interview with him:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/sony-tom-rothman-spider-man-ghostbusters-1235024137/

I think the best possible outcome is for there to never be a sequel.  But for the rest of his life every fan interaction, junket, press event, interview or whatever, he is always asked to say the line and ask him "So when is Morbius 2 happening??"

• Like 1