DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A Thor movie is flying past 300 with BP all but locked to be another all around triumph for MCU. There's no argument that will possibly convince me IW can miss 400 DOM. I still don't think it can do worse than Ultron outside of similar reception. 

It has a generic CGI villian which is already on some sites top 10 worse SH villians lists.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's a movie that's gonna be a real wild card next year...it could as easily way underperform sky high expectations as exceed them.  I think critics will play a huge role in how that goes, since if it feels like a 2-parter and that gets out, it could go the way of Harry Potter 7 pt 1 - taking a step back when you can't imagine why it's not taking a step forward when all the fans have waited for it...I mean, it's got an enormous floor guaranteed...but then so did JL and it's not going much above it...at least not yet...

I think another part of it depends on the marketing. The JL marketing was very muted. There was little to no hype at all. It was just there. It almost felt like WB had no confidence in the movie.

Of course, I wouldn’t have thought it would lead to a possible sub 100M opening. I thought the brand was strong enough to have a good opening.

Edited by ProtoMan
  • Like 1

Lets be honest...when the film was planned, written, and greenlit for production, Justice League was supposed to be the event movie of the year money-wise. AT LEAST 150 mil OW, as high as 200 mil maybe even more. Even if it cracks 100 mil that's a failure. That's 20 mil below the LOW-END of what a movie like this (with this budget, with the DC fan base, with this kind of built-in appeal) should be making out of the gate. It's disastrous. 

I don't doubt it's possible that overseas grosses could save it in terms of WB's actual number-crunching, but perception? Perception is everything. Below 300 mil total domestic or even just over is going to be percieved as a huge disappointment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A Thor movie is flying past 300 with BP all but locked to be another all around triumph for MCU. In other words, the MCU couldn't possibly be in any healthier of a condition going into IW. There's no argument that will possibly convince me IW can miss 400 DOM. I still don't think it can do worse than Ultron outside of similar reception. 

Generic villain

Too many heroes, not enough screen time, too much confusion

Obvious commercial for a part 2

Too much GA has to know to enjoy

Poorer than norm for Marvel critical reviews

Any of these things can go wrong...all of these things don't even need to go wrong for an underperformence...

It's not hard to miss Ultron, and even to miss $400M (heck Cap 3 barely made it with a great movie that required just too much of GA)...I mean, I'm in as a sucker OW...just like I am for JL...but I'm in the floor...I know a lot of my friends just show up when they want for supers and something has to catch their interest to bring them in...it won't just be b/c my favorite character is in it, b/c they'll be in their own movie 12 months from now anyway...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

Black Panther has a lot of buzz, much more than Dr Strange did.  It could push for 300m, especially with an uncrowded february.

I'm only bummed that so far it doesn't seem to bear the mark of Coogler's style. Stylistically it doesn't look much different from a Thor or Guardians film. Would it kill Marvel to let these filmmakers inject a little of themselves? 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

23 hours ago, franfar said:

98m OW

Probably won't happen, but whatever. It's only slightly ahead of WW with much worse reviews. 

1 hour ago, Truckasaurus said:

‘Justice League’ Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Is ‘Wonder’ & ‘Thor’ Cutting Into Business?

'Wonder' cutting into business :ohmyzod:

That would be 1m below my OW prediction

Just now, tonytr87 said:

I'm only bummed that so far it doesn't seem to bear the mark of Coogler's style. Stylistically it doesn't look much different from a Thor or Guardians film. Would it kill Marvel to let these filmmakers inject a little of themselves? 

Just wanna say I rewatched some of Iron Man 3 the other day and it had a lot more Shane Black-isms than I remembered it having.

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Are we sure they aren't taking a very, very hard look at Shazam

It's already filming, so ,yeah, they are commited to that one.

But if it had not started production, they would be taking a good look at it.