Plain Old Tele

Death on the Nile | Feb 11, 2022 | Branagh returns as star/director/moustache model | Armie Hammer is sadly in this | Will release in China

Trailer looks stylish enough, but substance /coherence was the main problem affecting Branagh's MOTOE. 

The cast is certainly not on par with the previous effort, but that has been said multiple times.

What I am not convinced of is the Linett character: she is basically a saint in the novel, but there seem to be a certain sexuality and mischievouseness in Gal Gadot's version of her. 

Emma Mackey does look like a perfect fit for Jaqueline though, and I'm curious to see more of the other suspects.

The OS market will lap this up like they did with Murder on the Orient Express. Even if it only does say $200-250m WW, it'll still be profitable. 

That being said, I'm not sure which Agatha Christie novel they should adapt next. It's between Evil Under the Sun and The ABC Murders.

I think Death on the Nile is a better book than Orient Express. It toes the line between being genius and preposterous the best. It's her most crowd pleasing story, I think. People really love the 78 version, though, and I think it's convinced people that the story is a fun romp when it's really quite mean spirited and nasty.

There are loads of great Poirot books, but they're really not (at least obviously) cinematic. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is probably her most acclaimed book, but it doesn't lend itself to film at all (the tv version is dire).

My personal favourite Christie is Five Little Pigs, but I can't imagine them going for that.

Murder in Mesopotamia would be a good shout if not for the supremely daft ending.

I think The ABC Murders would make the most sense: it's a nice contrast to the other two (small cast, open world), the plot still feels quite modern, it's pacy and people really seemed to hate the recent BBC miniseries. It'd be quite easy to tie the beginning of that story to the end of Death on the Nile, too.

I still think a smaller budgeted 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas' released in November would do really well.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, SpiderByte said:

The consensus from my book nerd friends is that Murder on the Orient Express is the best Poirot book and that they start to go downhill overall, so if they continue on after this one it'll be very interesting to see where they go with it

Murder on the Orient and And Then There Were None have by far the most intricate plotting of her books. This one is enjoyable but more of a generic mystery that I think most people can figure out about 80 pages into the book. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:07 PM, ddddeeee said:

I think Death on the Nile is a better book than Orient Express. It toes the line between being genius and preposterous the best. It's her most crowd pleasing story, I think. People really love the 78 version, though, and I think it's convinced people that the story is a fun romp when it's really quite mean spirited and nasty.

There are loads of great Poirot books, but they're really not (at least obviously) cinematic. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is probably her most acclaimed book, but it doesn't lend itself to film at all (the tv version is dire).

My personal favourite Christie is Five Little Pigs, but I can't imagine them going for that.

Murder in Mesopotamia would be a good shout if not for the supremely daft ending.

I think The ABC Murders would make the most sense: it's a nice contrast to the other two (small cast, open world), the plot still feels quite modern, it's pacy and people really seemed to hate the recent BBC miniseries. It'd be quite easy to tie the beginning of that story to the end of Death on the Nile, too.

I still think a smaller budgeted 'Hercule Poirot's Christmas' released in November would do really well.

I think Ackyurod is one of Christie best novels ("Then There Were None"" is her best novel) but it's pretty much impossbile to film. The idea that makes that plot work is pretty much impossible to put on film.. And I can't explain why since doing do would ruin the novel if you are reading it for the first time. BBC failed totally trying to get around this.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:40 PM, excel1 said:

"And Then There Were None" would do quite well in the right hands. 

It has already been filmed 6 or 7 times in the English language alone.

But I would not mind a new attempt, if theystick to the book and don't soften the rather grim ending that most of the film versions have.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:40 AM, excel1 said:

"And Then There Were None" would do quite well in the right hands. 

Been adapted a lot but they often seem to insist on changing it to have a happy clappy ending instead of the book's nihilistic one, and it kills it.

Edited by Ithil

I think this also needs to open in 2020...it's kinda perfect for the current theater models...even the current release date will probably work well to give it a long, slow run DOM...

If I'm theaters, I offer it the Tenet deal just to open - it would be worth it to keep all the subscribers continuing to pay their restarted monthly fees...