CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

2 hours ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

65-67

Holy Saturday number insanity. I knew today would increase, but not by that much. This weekend is actually super exciting. It has a chance of topping TFA's saturday. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, please provide any actual statistical evidence that it is "clearly" divisive.  

I have plenty of actual data that it isn't clearly divisive (box office, critics reviews, critics aggregate, ComScore data, Cinemascore grade).  

Not going to let this slide from anyone unless you can submit something to back these claims up that isn't anecdotal.  

People throw around 'divisive' waaaay too casually now.  When I hear divisive i think of shit like Cloud Atlas, The Grey, King Kong 2005, Noah, The Witch, Pacific Rim, The Neon Demon, Prometheus, Killing Them Softly, Under the Skin, Mother!, Interstellar, The Tree of Life, American Sniper, Man of Steel, and so on....

24 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Especially if it includes characters like Boba Fett and Darth Vader. Still think it moves from that May date.

I think a Younger Jabba, Vader and Boba Fett would definitely help.  We are getting a Young Han, Chewie and Lando in this as well.  I mean "Rogue One" did over 500 Million Domestic with "No Name" Characters in the franchise.  "Solo" will definitely have more known characters.   They missed a golden chance, a Teaser should of been ready for "The Last Jedi", I mean that would of been a lay up for promotion.  

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

How would they not move Solo? I'm not saying to December, but some of you guys said August would be a good move and I have to agree. The current release date sucks. I don't like it at all. Assuming Deadpool 2 gets an IMAX release (isn't it?) wouldn't that only mean a week of IMAX for Solo? That's terrible. I'm used to watching these movies in IMAX for at least a month. As a fan the release date pisses me off. I used to love May Star Wars, but meh not anymore. 

Still no teaser trailer even, forget a trailer, not even a tiny teaser. If it's still coming in May that's... shocking to me. 

Because Lucasfilm has a hard on to release it on the EXACT anniversary of A New Hope?  Because Lucasfilm actually wants to try to get back to releasing films in May?

Because they're taking pity on other franchises?  Who knows.  What I do know is that LFL REALLY wanted to hit that date during production.  Whether they'll actually hit it now that they're in post is anyone's guess.  

14 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

You clearly haven't seen much of reviews on youtube then!...And then read comments sections...57% audience score on RT, which is even lower than Justice League from almost 100k viewers is also a strong argument...

Yeah, none of that is reliable data or anything but anecdotal.  

Not one single person has offered up anything other than "I read some people on a message board or did you see the flixter audience score??"

Until someone offers up something, then every single time this comes up I'm going to point out it is wrong.  

• Like 4

Just now, DARth DAR said:

Yeah TLJ and Solo being marketed at the same time could cause confusion.  

I'm not disagreeing with you, I just am playing Devil's Advocate, but why wouldn't this apply to marketing Black Panther and Infinity War together literally in front of the same movie like TLJ? I see Black Panther in the IW trailer but I don't even really know that much yet about the character. Heck I heard someone next to me last night say, "What the fuck is up with Thor's eye?" Obviously they missed Thor 3. 

Do you think Solo would confuse people about TLJ that much? I honestly thought Rogue One confused people a lot more. Or maybe this is a case where Disney really would be better off just saying sorry everyone else can fuck off December is Star Wars month forever, deal with it, we need a year to market our movies. :P

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

$225-230M for the weekend.

kKnZtHA.gif

C'mon $231.77M...I'll be able to like everyone for everything every day:)...c'mon, bring that number home Star Wars fans!

(PS - Why did I doubt my initial bets Friday morning when I know Star Wars fans and their crazy...I blame the sick kids...of which a 2nd one is sick, but thankfully just a cold...although 2 viruses in 2 days...right when all the learning is over and we're supposed to be hitting vacation time - yeah, me)...

1 minute ago, DARth DAR said:

Does anyone remember when Disney dropped the first teasers for Pirates 5 or Looking Glass? Those were the last two Memorial Day releases for them

October and November, respectively.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I think a Younger Jabba, Vader and Boba Fett would definitely help.  We are getting a Young Han, Chewie and Lando in this as well.  I mean "Rogue One" did over 500 Million Domestic with "No Name" Characters in the franchise.  "Solo" will definitely have more known characters.   They missed a golden chance, a Teaser should of been ready for "The Last Jedi", I mean that would of been a lay up for promotion.  

Boba Fett has always been a huge fan favorite. I think many fans would show up to see him again....especially in some large set piece.

Edited by somebody85

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

Yeah, none of that is reliable data or anything but anecdotal.  

Not one single person has offered up anything other than "I read some people on a message board or did you see the flixter audience score??"

Until someone offers up something, then every single time this comes up I'm going to point out it is wrong.  

It's almost like some think you sit on a throne of lies.  Sorry got Elf on

6 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I guess we're just casually dismissing arguably the most iconic film character of all time as a "No Name" character now?