CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

3 hours ago, Sand-omJC said:

There is not a small part of me that would love if Coco was under estimated, and Ferdinand was over estimated.

That would be truly depressing for Ferdinand if the actuals had Coco coming in higher.

4 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Ferdinand has a $111m budger!?!?! Is that a typo? The f

Looking at Bllue Sky's budgets, they seem to be on the rise these past few years. They've been hovering at around $80-95M for the longest time, before slowly inching over $100M since 2014.

the last Monday's x-mas was 2006, too far for comparison, while last year could serve as the best comparison, it still can't tell how this could benefit or affect TLJ.....

60% 2nd weekend drop could be likely case, as friday was inflated by $45m and sunday is x-mas eve.....

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

758, very close to Avatar. That's the target at the moment. Curious to see how it goes.

To be fair Avatar added 10-11 in the 2nd release. I don't think it was just an expansion like say Disney and Uni/Illumination add 1000 theaters for their animations towards the end of the run, but a legit 2nd release which at least Mojo counts separately. If TLJ goes over 749.766, I will consider it to have beaten Avatar.

Date Title (click to view) Gross
12/18/2009 Avatar $749,766,139
08/27/2010 Avatar: Special Edition $10,741,486

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

To be fair Avatar added 10-11 in the 2nd release. I don't think it was just an expansion like say Disney and Uni/Illumination add 1000 theaters for their animations towards the end of the run, but a legit 2nd release which at least Mojo counts separately. If TLJ goes over 749.766, I will consider it to have beaten Avatar.

I am aware of that. But the domestic chart doesn't care. It lists Avatar #2 at 760. So that's the target. It's a reasonable multiplier similar to Rogue One.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

It was a legit Imax rerelease in the duldroms of August lol. Was glorious to see. 

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I am aware of that. But the domestic chart doesn't care. It lists Avatar #2 at 760. So that's the target. It's a reasonable multiplier similar to Rogue One.

This. Its like ignoring titanics rerelease. 

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I'll rather to include those 10+m, instead of having another discussion of inflation-adjusted figure.....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

A New Hope didn't do $460m either. Just to name one example...

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, DARth DAR said:

I think same multiplier puts it around 750.

I'd think a slightly better multi, simply because it's harder for massive 200m openers to burn off upfront demand due to theaters playing at capacity.  We'll have a lot spillover than RO.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Gone with the wind released 10+ times over decades and decades in a time before home cinema.

Very good example. Its actually astounding that the adjusted highest-grossing first run of any movie ever (DOM) is The Force Awakens. Unless i am mistaken in that regard, thats an unbelievable achievement for a sequel.

Edit: I am mistaken.

Edited by Brainbug

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Very good example. Its actually astounding that the adjusted highest-grossing first run of any movie ever (DOM) is The Force Awakens. Unless i am mistaken in that regard, thats an unbelievable achievement for a sequel.

Well Titanic has the most admissions I'm not actually sure which made the most adjusted $.