YM!

Wednesday #s: TLJ 16.9M, Jumanji 7.2M, Greatest Snowman 2.45M

Ultimately, the biggest problem with Bright is that it squeezes nudity, profanity and blood into the kind of dopey adventure that should be aimed more at adolescents - right down to its simplistic lessons about tolerance.

December 20, 2017 | Full Review…

:thinking:   How can that be?  Every one knows nudity, violence and profanity = ADULT

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What were you guys expecting from this anyway?  It had no shot at getting anywhere near TFA a once in a generation hype machine.. 

Many here were wanting it to get past Avatar. Maybe it will, but needs to outgross Rogue One by 46% every single day (on average) the rest of the way to do it. Not easy. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The box office pro twitter pos/neg ratio is indeed really low, but I am not sure if it is representative.

DATE # TWEETS POS:NEG RATIO
December 20, 2017 154,916 4 : 1
December 19, 2017 195,028 3 : 1
December 18, 2017 240,620 5 : 1

How representative that non random group would be and how small it it is, not sure how good at tracking them box office pro is, but we are talking about 200-500k twitt a day, divide say by 5 for the amount of unique users, we are getting what over 50 million people that have seen that movie by now, the immense majority not talking about it on tracked platform.

In my day to day life at work and so one I had heard more Force Awaken is just a copy complain than complain about this one, that said not many big star wars fan in that feedback, really general audience like.

How does that twitter stat compare to TFA or RO though 

11 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Many here were wanting it to get past Avatar. Maybe it will, but needs to outgross Rogue One by 46% every single day (on average) the rest of the way to do it. Not easy. 

Avatar is roughly 80% of TFA's gross. The way I see it, there is no excuse for it to open to 88% of TFA's OW and yet come in less than 80% of its total if not reflective of WOM. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Avatar is roughly 80% of TFA's gross. The way I see it, there is no excuse for it to open to 88% of TFA's OW and yet come in less than 80% of its total if not reflective of WOM. 

Not necessarily WOM it could totally be explained by sequalitis lol. I don't argue it has stellar word of mouth he'll, I haven't even had a chance to see it yet and judge for myself but I dont think anyone expected it to have the same legs as TFA regardless. 

5 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I would think if anyone would be in the know about discount Tuesday theaters it would be @EmpireCity and our other fearless insiders. 

Absolutely.  But the other films showed what would be expected out of a strong discount day bump

Edited by Rumpot

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

How does that twitter stat compare to TFA or RO though 

Does not seem to be able to find older data with internet archives very much and they move a lot over time:

TFA:

March 21, 2016 20,118 31 : 1
March 20, 2016 24,794 30 : 1
March 19, 2016 24,041 31 : 1

Rogue one:

January 03, 2017 117,142 8 : 1
January 02, 2017 125,207 7 : 1
January 01, 2017 111,135 3 : 1
January 26, 2017 33,722 16 : 1
January 25, 2017 99,959 13 : 1
January 24, 2017 108,132 17 : 1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

Absolutely.  But the other films showed what would be expected out of a strong discount day bump

And one could argue that the bumps as great as they were are not nearly as strong across the whole board as we have seen the last few months. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Not necessarily WOM it could totally be explained by sequalitis lol. I don't argue it has stellar word of mouth he'll, I haven't even had a chance to see it yet and judge for myself but I dont think anyone expected it to have the same legs as TFA regardless. 

I'm not expecting same legs as TFA, that would be 88% of TFA's gross. If it came in more around that 80% mark, then I might agree not necessarily WOM. But it's more likely to be in the 70-75% range with how things look so far. WOM is a factor in that case.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Last Jedi is doing extremely well. As expected.

It isn't gonna match The Force Awakens or inspire the mania that movie did. As expected.

You all are arguing over a bunch of nothing. As usual.

Image result for mic drop gif

We wouldn't be BOT if this wasn't the case 

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

And one could argue that the bumps as great as they were are not nearly as strong across the whole board as we have seen the last few months. 

Not a regular Monday though. Films like Coco and Daddy's Home were actually up from Monday to Monday thanks to some kids out of school.