grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah holdo character by friend was not liked by some.

One of my friend called her admiral gender studies.

:sparta:

Edit.....spoilers....careful please. THE STAFF

The second part has a certain truth in it.

I am really surprised All the Money did not move to January/February or even next fall. They were clearly banking on awards buzz to propel the movie and that is simply not happening to the extent they wanted. Even before the reshoots they surely knew the movie was not an Oscar contender so they could have used the reshoots as the excuse for bumping the release date. As it stands now, the movie will be forgotten in a month.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

I am really surprised All the Money did not move to January/February or even next fall. They were clearly banking on awards buzz to propel the movie and that is simply not happening to the extent they wanted. Even before the reshoots they surely knew the movie was not an Oscar contender so they could have used the reshoots as the excuse for bumping the release date. As it stands now, the movie will be forgotten in a month.

I think Plummer will get an Oscar nomination (he has the reviews and the narrative is too good to pass up on) but that's it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Plummer has a chance for an Oscar nom. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah holdo character was not liked by some of my friends.

One of my friends called her admiral gender studies.

:sparta:

:hahaha:

Another example of too much focus on a character that people don't care about. TLJ is supremely guilty of that. In fact, one of its biggest problems is pushing new characters and Poe (who was barely in TFA and therefore may not have been on GA's Top list) to the forefront.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So the TLJ number really was 27 huh? Geez... So much for the calendar being the issue.

Calendar is an issue. But there are WOM issues too. It's a combo of factors. It isn't excusing the movie's performance, just what's realistically happening. 

4 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

You of course are right, I should have wrote it a bit different, because I meant direct sequels and TFA, JW are basically new starters, I don't really need to know what happened in the other films to understand those, which especially is true for JW.

That still would mean that there were movies that increased.

You're right, I had a friend watch Civil War without seeing previous Marvel movies, except the first Avengers. Hadn't even seen Winter Soldier.  I slapped him after finding out, but he still really enjoyed it. It's just not something I'd recommend everyone or anyone do, haha.

JW I can understand that they might not have seen the first ones, even though that just says they make bad life choices 😂😂. People that have never seen at least ep 4-6 and see TFA just baffle me to no end.

4 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Plummer has a chance for an Oscar nom. 

But the rest of the movie is being largely ignored and presumably has not changed much since the Plummer reshoots. The studio seemed focused on eliminating any damage from Spacey rather than generating awards buzz for a performance that had not even happened yet. Some contractual obligation harmed the movie more than any benefit it stands to gain from Plummer being nominated.

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@ThiagoMaia Pointing out actual problems with TLJ (and yes, there are actual problems) is hardly shitting on the movie. It's simply that critics went considerably easier on problems, that they usually get hung up on, while some fans are not letting the movie off the hook and therefore are disagreeing with critics. IMO, there's a certain narrative about TLJ that boils down to "it didn't play it safe like TFA and therefore is automatically a better movie, warts be damned." And some fans disagree with this and deconstruct it point by point. It isn't about "my pet theory sunk" anymore (that factored only in early days backlash) but about actual problems that have nothing to do with wishful thinking and headcanons.

Yeah, I can understand your position, @Valonqar, you have been consistent in your treatment of the movie, for what I have observed, and I respect that, even agree with some of your critiques (is this the right word? Not a native English speaker), even thought I certainly enjoyed the movie more than you, because the highs were really high for me. I just feel that certain people would have said different things about the quality of the movie if the number was 35 instead of 27, even thought that has no bearing on the quality at all.

$32M with a grain of salt.....MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/26/box-office-last-jedi-wonder-woman-beauty-and-the-beast-now-2017s-biggest-hits/#1319965e29f6

As of this writing, I don't know for sure how much Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned on Christmas Day, although projections point toward a solid $32

Edited by Finnick
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Finnick said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/26/box-office-last-jedi-wonder-woman-beauty-and-the-beast-now-2017s-biggest-hits/#1319965e29f6

As of this writing, I don't know for sure how much Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned on Christmas Day, although projections point toward a solid $32

Sounds like he might be referring to Disney’s projection yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnick said:

If the actual was really between 27m-28m as per RTh, I would like to invite Scott Mendelson to join BOT

3 minutes ago, Finnick said:

He's just parroting the official Disney estimate for Monday, though.

• Like 1