grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Seems like Deadline underestimated the effect of schools being off there and failed on predicting the evening business off a very strong afternoon.

The competition is tough out there.

I'm not surprised, while looking around yesterday there were a ton of sell-outs for a bunch of movies (Star Wars, Jumanji, Pitch Perfect, Darkest Hour, and Call Me by Your Name all had sell-outs close by) in the afternoon but almost none at night.

I think competition is a lame excuse really.

Its Star Wars...

The only reason why the numbers are lower is frankly is the repeat business is suffering badly. 

Like I am debating on seeing this again while with RO and TFA I had my tickets already booked. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

SW8 would need close to 35 on Monday for 100+ 4-day. As such doing 35 this Monday would not be very surprising, but now with a lower Friday the Sunday estimate goes down too a bit. Sunday could be 13-14 and so 35 Monday requires a 150-170% bump.

Edited by a2knet

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I'm going to be the better person right now...and as a fan of the genre, actually be sad about the number, even as I knew it was coming...even if others, even the experts, did not...

Sometimes, like with BvS, you still get a wild box office success that ultimately disappoints you...normally it's b/c the OW is so huge and you can't imagine tiny legs off the OW...this is starting down the same road its 1st week in holiday form...still a long way to go, and still could turn around, but all the signs so far are not encouraging...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm going to be the better person right now...and as a fan of the genre, actually be sad about the number, even as I knew it was coming...even if others, even the experts, did not...

Sometimes, like with BvS, you still get a wild box office success that ultimately disappoints you...normally it's b/c the OW is so huge and you can't imagine tiny legs off the OW...this is starting down the same road its 1st week in holiday form...still a long way to go, and still could turn around, but all the signs so far are not encouraging...

It's time to consider TLJ will come lower than $700m, AOTC dropped 28% from TPM(including that IMAX reexpansion), the sequel trilogy will repeat that fate after all..... 

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think competition is a lame excuse really.

Its Star Wars...

The only reason why the numbers are lower is frankly is the repeat business is suffering badly. 

Like I am debating on seeing this again while with RO and TFA I had my tickets already booked. 

Agreed. IMO, competition is always a lame excuse except when it leads to losing theater count. Cause people don't have to see those new movies. If a holdover has a staying power, it'll fend off the competition.

It's also lame excuse to say that some movies had a long run cause they had no competition (Titanic gets this a lot). Competition always exists but some movies simply are more appealing and keep on going unaffected or barely affected. 

That said, isn't SW more of a Saturday player? I've seen this before, underwhelming Friday jump and then a jaw-dropping Saturday one.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

SW8 would need close to 35 on Monday for 100+ 4-day. As such doing 35 this Monday would not be very surprising, but now with a lower Friday the Sunday estimate goes down too a bit. Sunday could be 13-13.5 and so 35 Monday requires a 160-170% bump.

Which TLJ will have no way to achieve that, through somewhat "disappointing", the TLJ's number is still very gigantic/huge/big! It's hard to increase 100% with that huge numbers, let alone 160%, $25m of CD most likely, $90m 4 days weekend....  

Edited by titanic2187