DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

There's a definite hook to Episode III (basically we all knew it was a collision course to Obi Wan vs Anakin) that Episode IX does not have, but audiences can be plenty forgiving. They also have a relatively blank canvas to create a nice hook.

• Like 3

I think there is a big reason to think it might not follow the old pattern. No Vader hype. Sith was boosted a lot by that and I’m sure people were very curious to see what happened with Vader and Luke after the big twist in Empire.

Also everybody knows there will be more SW movies after IX.
ROTJ and ROTS had the finale factor going for them.

6 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

They had TLJ @ 85m past weekend, so huge grain of salt needed when deadline forecast is involved...

Inside the Deadline offices where they make their forecasts:

blindfolded.jpg

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

There's a definite hook to Episode III (basically we all knew it was a collision course to Obi Wan vs Anakin) that Episode IX does not have, but audiences can be plenty forgiving. They also have a relatively blank canvas to create a nice hook.

Bring in Renner and his Infinity War haircut.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

And yesterday they said $550m by the end of New Year’s Eve, which requires $85m for the 3-day. They are all over the place. 😂

Yeah it's actually kind of embarrassing. I used to be all over sites like Deadline and Variety for box office news but it's now exclusively BOT

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Interesting you mention that.

Top Five on Pulse right now:

TLJ

Jumanji

TGS

PP3

Ferdinand

MT:

TLJ         32.0%

Jumanji   21.9%

PP3          8.4%

TGS          8.0%

Ferdinand  6.7%

Okay..so I don't know what MT(probably movie ticket) pulse is, but the pulse of ferdinand is lower than the one posted last time. It was 7.3% before. Does that mean the box office of Friday is expected to be lower than of Thursday?

Just now, sexyegg said:

Okay..so I don't know what MT(probably movie ticket) pulse is, but the pulse of ferdinand is lower than the one posted last time. It was 7.3% before. Does that mean the box office of Friday is expected to be lower than of Thursday?

I haven't been following that but it does not imply that.

It just means the percentage share of Ferdinand's gross compared to all other movies might be smaller. But if the overall box office increases by 30% as a hypothetical example, it just means Ferdinand might  be increasing by a smaller amount compared to other movies

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think there is a big reason to think it might not follow the old pattern. No Vader hype. Sith was boosted a lot by that and I’m sure people were very curious to see what happened with Vader and Luke after the big twist in Empire. 

All u need to do is make a few small corrections and the hype will be there. I mean.....stick Vader in the trailer as ghost Vader and boom goes the dynamite. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

All u need to do is make a few small corrections and the hype will be there. I mean.....stick Vader in the trailer as ghost Vader and boom goes the dynamite. 

Hayden Christensen awaits the call.

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

It just means the percentage share of Ferdinand's gross compared to all other movies might be smaller. But if the overall box office increases by 30% as a hypothetical example, it just means Ferdinand might  be increasing by a smaller amount compared to other movies

Thanks for explaining. 

1 minute ago, sexyegg said:

Movietickets.com and Pulse measure different things.

MT.com is displaying the percentage of tickets sold to a movie in the last 24 hours.  But if there are more tickets sold overall any particular movie can still go up even if the percentage goes down.  Say 8% of 100 is still more than 9% of 50 (8 vs 4.5).

Pulse is just ranking the Top five movies sold within a certain time frame.  "Recently" is all I think we really know. And even that's complicated by the fact that Fandango separates out the 3D and IMAX showings of the same film into different sets.

So they give us collectively a piece of the picture, but not the overall one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Just name it Return of the Sith, put Vader and knights of ren in the trailer. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Right...AND Movietickets.com sells certain types of movies a bit better...and certain movies presell vs walk up more or less, especially on weekends...

So, it's not a "perfect" thing to look at...but it's a helpful tool...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Right...AND Movietickets.com sells certain types of movies a bit better...and certain movies presell vs walk up more or less, especially on weekends...

So, it's not a "perfect" thing to look at...but it's a helpful tool...

Yes, I believe who does business with Movie Tickets, as well as the demo which tends to visit its website, matters a great deal as well.

One thing MT is good for is figuring out which foreign films, especially the Bollywood ones, and which ultra-limited engagement films might do well.  They tend to pop up on MT a hell of a lot more than they do on Fandango, for whatever reason.

• Like 2