Mojoguy

Tuesday Numbers: Jumanji 10.2, TLJ 7.9 (Asgard)

27 minutes ago, KC7 said:

33 minutes ago

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN $3.6M Tuesday $58M Total (North America)

Still doing well! Deadline is projecting 10-11 for the weekend. If so, that should get it to around 75 through Sunday.

100m is oddly possible, those are some strong legs.

• Like 2

Saw Shape of Water today. It was okay.

Saw Mollys Game today.  I thonk its the best movie I have seen this year. Jessica Chastain and Idris elba's are absolutely amazing. I really hope both of them get Oscar nominations. A powerful story and Incredibly written and terrifically directed as well. It's just a stunningly hypnotic movie.

Every showing that I looked into today Jumanji was very busy. Every show that I looked into today The Last Jedi wasn't as busy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Jumanji is the biggest BO surprise since It. Though for me, Jumanji beeing a family-friendly adventure flick gave it a higher chance for such a break-out than It, which was a R-Rated horror movie after all. 

Still, this run is baffling. I would have NEVER thought that a Jumanji movie could pass 300M DOM.

True. But did many thought that Jumanji 2 was going to beat the first one, adjusted-wise? Since that one is adjusted to $204M DOM in today’s gross.

However...i do miss Kirsten Dunst from the first one...and especially Robin Williams, who he sadly is no longer with us. 😔😢

However...if Sony wanted to play more on the nostalgia...they could have brought Kirsten back. I really like Kirsten Dunst.

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Jumanji is the biggest BO surprise since It. Though for me, Jumanji beeing a family-friendly adventure flick gave it a higher chance for such a break-out than It, which was a R-Rated horror movie after all. 

Still, this run is baffling. I would have NEVER thought that a Jumanji movie could pass 300M DOM.

I felt way more hype for It based on the trailer reactions in theaters. Not sure I saw the Jumanji trailer with audiences. But it seems to be more of a WOM hit than anything. Jumanji didn't open to some insanely large gross like It did.

• Like 4

TLJ didn't shut the door on the market like TFA did (and in fact, probably repelled a part of the family market)...and Ferdinand put up no competition for the family dollar...without supers and Pixar options, Jumanji was given a chance by some families to prove it was worth their dollar...and those families told other families and WOM blew up...

I never saw it coming b/c I didn't think TLJ would ever be divisive or non-family friendly (I mean, TFA worked - even though I thought it was mediocre, I never thought Disney would punt the formula until it failed)...and I never thought a sequel to an original mediocre movie would ever actually be better quality wise...

But it goes to show - if you beat people's expectations, WOM goes crazy well - if you come under people's expectations, WOM tanks...this is a lesson to either meet sky high expectations or never set them that high in the 1st place:)...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

All I'm saying that Avatar 2 with Avatar's legs but a big opening weekend, $300m x9.. 2.7b domestic. All I'm saying.

Seriously though... $3b world wide is inbound. You're using normal film/director rules for the RULE SETTER. This won't drop from Avatar.

Unlike some other people, I would never disrespect King Cameron. However, the normal rule for a sequel released so long after the first movie would be to crash. So if Avatar Too only decreases by a TLJ-style percentage, that would already be pretty good.

The most impressive thing about Jumanji's run is that it is going to obliterate the original's ticket sales. Jumanji was a bit of a box office disappointment upon release, but it still made decent coin and a lot of people were immediately dismissing the new film.

• Like 1

My gripe with Jumanji is that while a sequel, they didn't actually pick up where the 1st left off - considering the game was in Africa at the end of the first film.... (I had never seen it so we watched it the other night with the In-Laws before seeing the new one.)

You can really tell the lack of school / back to work effect on the Tuesday numbers - the adult films, particularly limited fair just plunged (ala the Post's -60%) while the family films all had very very good drops.

Looking like Jumanji will be pushing close to 240m by Sunday - Coco 190, Showman 72m, Pitch around 83m and Ferdi around 65m - all in the holiday top 4 non Jedi holiday films are putting up respectable totals...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Well, that's what a proper competition can do. It's not like TFA was delivering better numbers on its first post-holiday Tuesday, it ended with 7.97m. Sure, there is probably more of a holiday effect in place right now, and discount Tuesday is bigger as well, but that doesn't mean that TFA would have made 10m+ under these circumstances either. Granted, that's a rather theoretical exercise, Jumanji probably wouldn't have become anywhere near this big if it had to face TFA instead of TLJ, but still.

There is no "probably" about it. There is more of a holiday effect going on this week. TFA grossed $42m in the 4th weekend. TLJ is headed for around $25m.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, baumer said:

Saw Shape of Water today. It was okay.

Saw Mollys Game today.  I thonk its the best movie I have seen this year. Jessica Chastain and Idris elba's are absolutely amazing. I really hope both of them get Oscar nominations. A powerful story and Incredibly written and terrifically directed as well. It's just a stunningly hypnotic movie.

Every showing that I looked into today Jumanji was very busy. Every show that I looked into today The Last Jedi wasn't as busy.

Its only Jan 3rd, isn't it a bit early for that kind of quote?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Anyone else getting tired of Oscar Bait movies being rushed out and released during these few months?

I am. Wish the academy had longer term memories and attention spans.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Anyone else getting tired of Oscar Bait movies being rushed out and released during these few months?

It has been that way forever;Hollywood has generally  saved it's most prestigious productions for the last 3 months of the year. Look at the release schduel for films in the 1930's;the Heavy Hitters were always saved for the Holiday season. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Script and screenplay for Molly's game is definitely the best one that I have seen this year. And Jessica Chastain and Idris elba's just sell it to perfection. It's not a movie that I'm going to forget about anytime soon.

• Like 2