the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

3 hours ago, MrGamer said:

Did iJack hack into Tele's account and write this?

No, there is some kind of website Tele used for it.  It was absolutely hilarious when he posted it.  We all thought he took a day out of his life to write something so ridiculous.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, slambros said:

If Insidious really does beat Jumanji this weekend, then Jumanji will be high on the ranking of films that never reached #1 I'm the box office. We'll see how the weekend differs from Friday's gross.

No chance Insidious beats Jumanji. It's gonna take a sharp drop on Saturday; meanwhile, as per usual with family movies, Jumanji will take a bump instead.

2007 this weekend had big Fri bumps, relatively muted Sat bumps (in top 10: 9 sub-50%, 6 sub-40%), 40%+ Sun drop

Being conservative,

JUM

15.4 (+42.5%)

8.9 (-42%)

= 35.1 (-30%)

TLJ

9.1 (+38%)

5.4 (-40.5%)

= 21.1 (-60%)

Edited by a2knet

32 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I was just wondering, do we know which is the most liked post in BOT's history?

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

It was Shawn's retirement post

Then I think it was Tele's post where he was mocking Ijack

This one from Rth is joint 2nd (was 3rd before I just liked it!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

OUT OF TOUCH critics almost killed the buzz for this movie. Deserves way better reviews. Like any movie based on real life events is accurate. They review movies on their biases first merit second.

Yeah, at some point critics gotta decide whether they are writing reviews for each other or for the general public. 

23 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

OUT OF TOUCH critics almost killed the buzz for this movie. Deserves way better reviews. Like any movie based on real life events is accurate. They review movies on their biases first merit second.

To figure out the legs for non-Friday openers, I take the average of the 3-day weekend and the total gross after the first Sunday. In this case, Greatest Showman averages out to a theoretical $11.1m weekend as a Friday opener.

It's probably heading over a 10 multiplier from the $11.1m opening. Clearly excellent WOM driving this film's performance. Will be fun to see how high it can go. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

No, there is some kind of website Tele used for it.  It was absolutely hilarious when he posted it.  We all thought he took a day out of his life to write something so ridiculous.

My goal for this post is teach you how best to respond to Baumer's brown-nosing, sexist cock-and-bull stories—when to analyze and when to assert, when to dismantle and when to affirm. So let's begin, quite properly, with a brief look at the historical development of the problem, of its attempted solutions, and of the eternal argument about it. Every time Baumer tries, he gets increasingly successful in his attempts to prime the pump of exhibitionism. This dangerous trend means not only death for free thought but for imagination as well. 

Let me move now from the abstract to the concrete. That is, let me give you a (mercifully) few examples of Baumer's outrageous ineptitude. For starters, he has announced his intentions to produce culturally degenerate films and videos. While doing so may earn Baumer a gold star from the mush-for-brains tuchungism crowd, he who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. Of course, people like Baumer who do in fact perpetrate evil trivialize certain events that are particularly special to us all. 

I have a plan to fight on the battleground of ideas for our inalienable individual rights. I call this plan “Operation fight oppression”. (Granted, I need a shorter, catchier name, but that one will do for now.) My plan's underlying motif is that Baumer has long wanted to prevent anyone from stating publicly that he spews words like “epididymodeferentectomy”, “magnetohydrodynamics”, and “teleoroentgenography” and insidiously twists them into catch phrases designed to cause one-sided capilotades to be entered into historical fact. Why do I bring that up? Because by studying his repression of ideas in its extreme, unambiguous form one may more clearly understand why many people lie. Baumer, however, lies with such ease it's troubling. Listen closely and in the distance you can hear the ring of Liberty's bell calling gallant sons and noble daughters to get people to sign a petition to limit Baumer's ability to cause trouble. There is a genuine coldness, a chill, that pervades the land, as people are scared to death by Baumer's larcenous tricks. And that's the honest truth.

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Pretty funny how the Molly and Darkest Hour estimates got flipped around :lol: 

I'm glad. Darkest Hour strikes me as a typical British Oscar bait. Molly's fun and the fact that PGA went for Molly and snubbed Darkest Hour is another plus in my book.:hi5:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Just Tele said:

My goal for this post is teach you how best to respond to Baumer's brown-nosing, sexist cock-and-bull stories—when to analyze and when to assert, when to dismantle and when to affirm. So let's begin, quite properly, with a brief look at the historical development of the problem, of its attempted solutions, and of the eternal argument about it. Every time Baumer tries, he gets increasingly successful in his attempts to prime the pump of exhibitionism. This dangerous trend means not only death for free thought but for imagination as well. 

Let me move now from the abstract to the concrete. That is, let me give you a (mercifully) few examples of Baumer's outrageous ineptitude. For starters, he has announced his intentions to produce culturally degenerate films and videos. While doing so may earn Baumer a gold star from the mush-for-brains tuchungism crowd, he who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. Of course, people like Baumer who do in fact perpetrate evil trivialize certain events that are particularly special to us all. 

I have a plan to fight on the battleground of ideas for our inalienable individual rights. I call this plan “Operation fight oppression”. (Granted, I need a shorter, catchier name, but that one will do for now.) My plan's underlying motif is that Baumer has long wanted to prevent anyone from stating publicly that he spews words like “epididymodeferentectomy”, “magnetohydrodynamics”, and “teleoroentgenography” and insidiously twists them into catch phrases designed to cause one-sided capilotades to be entered into historical fact. Why do I bring that up? Because by studying his repression of ideas in its extreme, unambiguous form one may more clearly understand why many people lie. Baumer, however, lies with such ease it's troubling. Listen closely and in the distance you can hear the ring of Liberty's bell calling gallant sons and noble daughters to get people to sign a petition to limit Baumer's ability to cause trouble. There is a genuine coldness, a chill, that pervades the land, as people are scared to death by Baumer's larcenous tricks. And that's the honest truth.

In this post I plan to cite some of Tele (who's not a mod)'s more topical crimes and let you, the reader, decide for yourself how to react. There are a number of reasons Tele (who's not a mod) isn't telling us as to why he wants to create a desolation and call it peace. In this letter, I will expose those reasons one-by-one, on the principle that if the only way to speak up and speak out against him is for me to have a conniption, then so be it. It would definitely be worth it because Tele (who's not a mod) has not yet been successful at instigating acrimony and discord. Still, give him some time, and I'm sure he'll figure out how to do something at least that longiloquent-to-the-core, probably more so. In any event, Tele (who's not a mod)'s treacheries promote a redistribution of wealth. This is always an appealing proposition for Tele (who's not a mod)'s cult followers because much of the redistributed wealth will undoubtedly end up in the hands of the redistributors as a condign reward for their loyalty to Tele (who's not a mod). Even though Tele (who's not a mod) has aired his disapproval of being criticized, I still avouch that he always puts a fugleman in charge of condemning children to a life of drugs, gangs, drinking, rape, incest, verbal abuse, physical abuse, and a number of other horrors. That way, Tele (who's not a mod) can feign innocence, as he wasn't the one who did anything wrong. In fact, he can easily deny that if he had lived the short, sickly, miserable life of a chattel serf in the ages “before technocracy” he wouldn't be so keen to degrade, divide, and destroy our nation. Maybe he'd even begin to realize that he has never disproved anything I've ever written. Tele (who's not a mod) does, however, often try to discredit me by means of flagrant misquotations, by attributing to me views that I've never expressed. In the end, in a vain effort to exculpate himself, he has been proclaiming to the world that he has done no wrong. Rather, it was his toadies who have been courting a neo-wanton minority of the most unenlightened rubes you'll ever see. I suppose the next thing he'll have us believe is that the cure for evil is more evil.

To simplify, Tele (who's not a mod) claims that the eradication of his corrivals would restore mankind's golden age and save humanity from ruination. You should realize that absolutely no empirical evidence obtained by scientific means exists to support that claim. Alas, that doesn't stop Tele (who's not a mod) from placing bookish, mean-spirited dodos at the top of the social hierarchy. Most people don't realize this, but he has, in fact, presented evidence in support of his claim that he's honest, trustworthy, and likable. Of course, his evidence has been rather flimsy in the credibility department. It's generally a lot easier to find evidence that Tele (who's not a mod) keeps telling us that bad things “just happen” (i.e., they're not caused by Tele (who's not a mod) himself). Tele (who's not a mod) should feel free to publish his scientific findings on that matter and claim his Nobel Prize and 8 million Swedish krona—unless, of course, Tele (who's not a mod) is just making an assertion with no evidence whatsoever to support his position. Which do you think it is? If you were to ask me that question, I'd say that the purpose of this letter is far greater than to prove to you how cacodemonic and negligent Tele (who's not a mod) has become. The purpose of this letter is to get you to start thinking for yourself, to start thinking about how his admirers tend to fall into the mistaken belief that he commands an army of robots that live in the hollow center of the earth and produce earthquakes whenever they feel like shaking things up a bit on the surface, mainly because they live inside a Tele (who's not a mod)-generated illusion world and talk only with each other.

Tele (who's not a mod) is the type of person who will trump up any lie for the occasion, and the more of a thumper it is, the better he likes it. Tele (who's not a mod) wants us to think of him as a do-gooder. Keep in mind, though, that he wants to “do good” with other people's money and often with other people's lives. If Tele (who's not a mod) really wanted to be a do-gooder, he could start by admitting that his propaganda factories continuously spew forth messages like, “Tele (who's not a mod) is inflexibly honest, thoroughly patriotic, and eminently solicitous to promote, in all proper ways, the public good” and, “It's okay for Tele (who's not a mod) to indulge his every whim and lust without regard for anyone else or for society as a whole”. What they don't tell you, though, is that Tele (who's not a mod) is a man utterly without honor, without principles, without a shred of genuine patriotism. That's why I say that his obiter dicta are becoming increasingly tetchy. They have already begun to hammer a few more nails into the coffin of freedom. Now fast-forward a few years to a time in which they have enabled Tele (who's not a mod) to ruin people's lives. If you don't want such a time to come then help me push a consistent vision that responds to most people's growing fears about pompous misogynists. Help me lead the way to the future, not to the past.

Tele (who's not a mod) has been cynically and deliberately violating his oath not to silence truth-tellers like me. Yes, this message will be lost on those who refuse to step outside their own opinions. However, Tele (who's not a mod)'s sophistries are Bourbonism reincarnate. Let's remember that.

Tele (who's not a mod) and I are as different as chalk and cheese. He, for instance, wants to boss others around. I, on the other hand, want to address the real issues faced by mankind. That's why I need to tell you that if he doesn't like it here, then perhaps he should go elsewhere. In the end, I draw strength and courage from knowing that most people comprehend the crusade to stop Tele (who's not a mod) and are supportive of my role in it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

Well, I knew it was coming. In fact, I predicted it quite a long time ago when I said that That One Guy would exploit public sympathy in order to bolster support for That One Guy's nauseating stanning of the film,

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. And now that he has, we must decidedly advocate concrete action and specific quantifiable goals. Let me start by stressing that I am not attempting to suppress anyone's opinions, nor do I intend to demean That One Guy personally for his beliefs or worldviews. But I do avow that I must cast an unfamiliar ray of sunshine over the dour landscape of That One Guy's harangues.

I have no intention to cut and run even if That One Guy were to dispossess, stress, and dissolve the cultural bonds that keep our forum healthy. Rather, I will stand my ground and solve our problems over a negotiating table instead of resorting to the battlefield. Whether or not I'm successful, That One Guy is the picture of the insane person on the street, babbling to a tree, a wall, or a cloud, which cannot and does not respond to his vituperations. It is immature and stupid of him to prevent us from getting in touch with our feelings. It would be mature and intelligent, however, to stand together and stand up and fight for our heritage, traditions, and values, and that's why I say that whenever people fail to fall for his nocuous deceptions, That One Guy tries leading them to the slaughterhouse via the back entrance to the movie theater. If that ploy still doesn't work, he then sics his blood-drenched, murderous incendiarism movement in all of its resplendent foulness upon them. To be quite frank, he who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. Of course, people like That One Guy who do in fact perpetrate evil create a climate of intimidation (especially if you don't like Gore Verbinski movies).

To say merely that the chief difficulty in writing about That One Guy is that the antithesis of loathsome, rash classism is moral, religious, and cultural solidarity among the people of a nation is a vast understatement. Just like dirty clothes on the floor and cluttered closets, his mess won't go away if we simply look the other way. There can be no doubt that his fellow casuals fundamentally believe that truth is merely a social construct. Alas, this deeply held belief is fiction from start to finish. Every piece of evidence I can find makes it abundantly clear that the whole of That One Guy's bloodthirsty worldview may perhaps be expressed in one simple word. That word is “rowdyism”. Let me explain: I am appalled by That One Guy's serial dishonesty. First, he lied about Bright being worse than The Emoji Movie. Then, That One Guy lied about lying about that.

I have never been in favor of being gratuitously renitent. I have also never been in favor of sticking my head in the sand or of refusing to provide people with opportunities to grow, develop, and exercise their potential as human beings. Anyone who follows today's debates on privatism and, by happenstance, is also familiar with That One Guy's two-faced communiqués is struck by that old truism: That One Guy has convinced a generation of people that he's a wonderful human being. One must pause in admiration at this triumph of media manipulation. As a matter of fact, he accuses me of being narrow-minded. Does he feel I'm narrow-minded because I refuse to accept his claim that he has answers to everything? If so, then I guess I'm as narrow-minded as I could possibly be.

I don't know which are worse, right-wing tyrants or left-wing tyrants. But I do know that That One Guy's shenanigans reek of shit (or is it mud?). I use the word “reek” because That One Guy says that he can change his stultiloquent ways. You know, he can lie as much as he wants, but he can't change the facts that Valerian is a piece of garbage . If he could, he'd unmistakably prevent anyone from hearing that many people who experience oppression feel embattled in the current climate of parasitism that That One Guy has created. Think about it, and I'm sure you'll agree with me. I can see from the length of what I've written so far that I should save the rest of my comments about That One Guy for a future letter.

Let me close by stating simply that That One Guy's cringeworthy stanning ofValerian must be exposed and neutralized wherever it lurks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Seeing how this thread has gone (hilariously) off topic, has anyone seen Netflix's THE CROWN? I just started second season. I never thought I would like it this much, especially since it is the definition of a slow burner.

9 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Every couple of years people re-discover my iJack rant and the complaint letter generator. :lol: 

Does it happen before or after the Cyber Thriller over 100M in China thread gets bumped?

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, James said:

Seeing how this thread has gone (hilariously) off topic, has anyone seen Netflix's THE CROWN? I just started second season. I never thought I would like it this much, especially since it is the definition of a slow burner.

I have seen both seasons. It is fine. I didn't knew their story so it was a good way to know everything about the royal family.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, James said:

Only seen the first season, one of the impressive tv production ever imo, there is some phone call scene that probably costed more to make than some small movies.

Really loved it.

• Like 2