WrathOfHan

Doctor Sleep | November 8 2019 | Ewan McGregor is Danny | Jacob Tremblay joins

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, TLK said:

I liked the first five episodes but the rest of the show is very weak and completely misses the point of the book.

The TV series got off to a good start but went south in the last few episodes.

But that was better then the horrid 1999 film, which totally misread the book by making Shirely Jackson;s masterpiece into a "Poltergeist" wannabe.

The film screams it's head off, when ,as Stephan King said, the great strength of Jackson's novel is she could scare the hell out of you without ever raising her voice.

The 1963 Robert Wise film is very faithful to the book, and remains one of the best, if not the best, haunted house film ever made.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:02 AM, TLK said:

I liked the first five episodes but the rest of the show is very weak and completely misses the point of the book.

I think the 6th episode is the best and perhaps most acclaimed of the series. The long takes in the funeral home.

On a second viewing, the whole thing feels more complete. Even the end, which to me is still the only weak point of the series, feels a lot better.

11 hours ago, JB33 said:

@baumer I take it you've read the book? If so, how is it?

Anyone else who has read the book, feel free to share your thoughts too.

Yes I have read the book and the book is utterly fantastic in my opinion. It's a perfect and worthy sequel to Stephen King's original shining. Some of it it's pretty disturbing and some of the kills are pretty grotesque as well. I'm looking forward to the movie and I hope they stick pretty close to the vest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, baumer said:

Yes I have read the book and the book is utterly fantastic in my opinion. It's a perfect and worthy sequel to Stephen King's original shining. Some of it it's pretty disturbing and some of the kills are pretty grotesque as well. I'm looking forward to the movie and I hope they stick pretty close to the vest.

I saw it last night and the changes from the book are numerous and significant, especially in the third act,

Spoiler

where it becomes much more obviously a sequel to the movie rather than the book. While I preferred Kubrick's ending in The Shining, I prefer King's ending in Doctor Sleep.

Overall, it was an enjoyable horror flick. It has some pacing issues - even though some key scenes from the book don't appear in the film, I still felt like it would've been better served cutting back on about 20 of its 150 minutes. The screening audience with whom I saw it chuckled during a couple scenes that weren't intended to be funny - never a good sign, especially for a scary movie.  It did get some applause at the end, though. There were a few scares and at least one scene that's genuinely disturbing and uncomfortable to watch - if you read the book, you can probably guess what that is. McGregor does solid work as Dan; the young actress playing Abra is great; Rebecca Ferguson is suitably sexy/scary as Rose The Hat. I'd give it a 7/10.  Really hard to guess the box office - is the general audience aware that this is a direct sequel to The Shining? King fans obviously are.  I'd like to see it do well, but $100 mil domestic seems like the absolute ceiling to me - I recommend it to King fans, but I'm not sure I'd send hard-core horror fans to see Doctor Sleep. Honestly, it's just not that scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

He has one scene??

it's a pretty small part. kinda surprising. and he's in an in between state where he's done enough leading roles that it's weird he'd do a part this small, but he's also not famous enough for it to count as a cameo.

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's a pretty small part. kinda surprising. and he's in an in between state where he's done enough leading roles that it's weird he'd do a part this small, but he's also not famous enough for it to count as a cameo.

Hmm, odd. His talent is extraordinary and I enjoy watching him so it's too bad he's got such a small part in this.

• Like 1