Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

1 hour ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Totally agree. She’s only great at making faces.

Gal Gadot is good at staring at things with a frown, a typical formula which is often seen with those who haven't establish enough acting skills. Dwayne Johnson is in the same catalog.

57 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Give it 4 years max til it's 600M only

Only need three more after Black Panther. SW9 should make it, which leaves two more. I think Avengers 4 has a small chance if it's seen as the final team-up (at least for the Phase 1 icons like IM, CA, Thor, etc). The Lion King could possibly do it too. Shocking to think there's a chance (however slim) of three $600 million grossers for a single studio in one year.

I don't think anyone is gonna argue that Gadot is this phenomenal actress but her role as Wonder Woman doesn't require that. She may not be the best actress out there but she is phenomenal as Wonder Woman and in the end that's all that matters for that role. If the actor or actress can sell themselves as the character they're playing, what more can you want in a franchise film? 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Gadot is great. The DCEU doesn't deserve her.

People sure as hell don't give a crap about mopey CGI mustache Superman and murderous useless Batman.

Well they've certainly haven't done enough to make people care about those last two, to say the least. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't think anyone is gonna argue that Gadot is this phenomenal actress but her role as Wonder Woman doesn't require that. She may not be the best actress out there but she is phenomenal as Wonder Woman and in the end that's all that matters for that role. If the actor or actress can sell themselves as the character they're playing, what more can you want in a franchise film? 

Bravo.

Same goes (in my opinion!) for Christopher Reeve as Superman, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I don't see any of those as Oscar-caliber thespians, but who cares? They embody those characters so well, and truly "sell" them with effortless charm and phenomenal screen presence. I believe ALL OF THOSE, including Gal, as those characters. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Bravo.

Same goes (in my opinion!) for Christopher Reeve as Superman, Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. I don't see any of those as Oscar-caliber thespians, but who cares? They embody those characters so well, and truly "sell" them with effortless charm and phenomenal screen presence. I believe ALL OF THOSE, including Gal, as those characters. 

Exactly! 

• Like 2

Only need 2 years for 600+ top 10 — BP, A3&4, Ep IX ;)    

Of course you could also have  a wildcard get us there even before IX, or fill in for an underperforming Avengers.

Edited by Sliver Legion

3 hours ago, vc2002 said:

Yeah, 600m+ movies have been popping out more frequently than ever.

Just like 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, and 500m became more frequent through the years. Shouldn’t be surprising. Our first 600m movie was 21 years ago. 

More interesting/difficult question imo: how long until the top 10 are all 700+ grossers? We’ve got 2 now, maybe 3 if Panther legs it very well, and nothing else on the horizon that I’d consider favored to get there. Can we get there in under a dozen years? Under a decade?

39 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Just like 100m, 200m, 300m, 400m, and 500m became more frequent through the years. Shouldn’t be surprising. Our first 600m movie was 21 years ago. 

Well, 600m actually became more frequent before 500m did.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

More interesting/difficult question imo: how long until the top 10 are all 700+ grossers? We’ve got 2 now, maybe 3 if Panther legs it very well, and nothing else on the horizon that I’d consider favored to get there. Can we get there in under a dozen years? Under a decade?

SW9 could do it if it's another crowdpleaser like TFA. Only needs a 13% increase from TLJ, and the third film in SW trilogies have traditionally increased from the second film. Avatar 2 is another film that could pass $700 million if its visuals are really as groundbreaking as Cameron is hinting at. Despite being the culmination of everything in the MCU, Avengers 4 will probably be too frontloaded to make it even with a record-breaking OW. 

11 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

SW9 could do it if it's another crowdpleaser like TFA. Only needs a 13% increase from TLJ, and the third film in SW trilogies have traditionally increased from the second film. Avatar 2 is another film that could pass $700 million if its visuals are really as groundbreaking as Cameron is hinting at. Despite being the culmination of everything in the MCU, Avengers 4 will probably be too frontloaded to make it even with a record-breaking OW. 

Those immediately came to mind as the two best candidates, but I wouldn’t personally give either of them 50% or better chances right now.

Forecasting The Shape of Water post-Picture win:

Remainder of this week: 1.5M (58.9M Total)

Mar 9: 3.4M (1.3M weekdays, 63.6M Total)

Mar 16: 1.5M (600k weekdays, 65.7M Total)

Mar 23: 1M (400k weekdays, 67.1M Total)

Mar 30: 700k (300k weekdays, 68.1M Total)

Final Total: 70M

70M is going to be tight. Fox really should have held off on releasing the Blu-Ray for a few weeks.

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

Bravo.

I like how you unintentionally buried every single person you listed in trying to defend them.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

70M is going to be tight. Fox really should have held off on releasing the Blu-Ray for a few weeks.

It's gonna be crazy around here the next few days (if not weeks) for it. My theater finally finished their refurbishments this weekend and filled the other 10 (of their 20 total) screens with the 7 Best Picture nominees from the last two months plus I, Tonya.

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

70m isn't happening. It'll be lucky to hit 65. Not that it really matters since it's a success anyway.

I remember how not too long ago after Wonder Woman people here on this board said that no superhero film would break The Avengers record. 

The same people are the ones still underplaying The Avengers: Infinity War. All I'm saying is, 2018 is off to an insanely great start, and it's far from over. 

• Like 1