Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread: Rampage 34.5M, AQP 32.6M, ToD 19M, RPO 11.2M, Blockers 10.2M

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Not if you spent $50m on US marketing.

Perhaps but I still maintain that point. I think a major portion of HV and streaming and merchandise revenue comes from the domestic market so it is far better for a movie to perform well in domestic markets than Chinese markets even half as well. 

• Like 1

Are people really disappointed at Rampage's performance?

The same who thought RPO would bomb to hell?

IMO RPO always had more potential because of Spielberg + genre, whereas Rampage just looked like one of those high profile bombs.

I think it's doing quite well for a movie about a mutated gorilla and wolf. Yeah, it's supposedly based on a video game (who even knows this) and it has the Rock, but the concept was pretty dumb.

If San Andreas could only make, what $150m? Rampage surely couldn't have topped $100m.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

I don't know what happened to RT, but there are very few votes for WANT TO SEE. every film has this problem...it used to be thousands of votes for major releases, but now even Infinity war only has 10k votes. The avengers used to have over 100k

Have users deserted the site? Or Flixster? Or whatever it is that they use to rate it?

Funny how as RT rose as some sort of barometer in the public consciousness, the userbase evaporated.

17 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Perhaps but I still maintain that point. I think a major portion of HV and streaming and merchandise revenue comes from the domestic market so it is far better for a movie to perform well in domestic markets than Chinese markets even half as well. 

The WSJ had an article and chart in 2014 that a  $1 earned in US B.OX generates 7 times more revenue than $1 earned at the Chinese B.O.  because of the 25% share and paucity of ancillaries. Now ancillaries have dipped in the US since then but it's still a rich source of revenue.

• Like 2

Honestly, Rampage is doing fine. I don't think WB pushed it very hard, and considering that and being sandwiched, it's doing ok. There's definitely room for a sequel though. It's doing really well in China.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, straggler said:

Isn't there such a thing as fatigue? I saw the advertisements for Rampage and I was think "Jumanji is not even out of theaters yet." Lately the Rock he has been an assembly line. Then you add a "rotten" RT score. 

Luckily there isn't a Dwayne Johnson movie coming out before a long time.

Edited by The Futurist

59 minutes ago, BK007 said:

If San Andreas could only make, what $150m? Rampage surely couldn't have topped $100m.

I agree with you that it is a fine opening imo, as long as it play intl like it could, but maybe the genre is not has popular than in the past but those dumb disaster movie can reach 150+ from time to time in the 2000s

Day after tomorrow: 186m (adjusted: 276m)

Perfect storm: 182m (311m)

2012: 166m (200m)

Also the Godzilla, WWZ, War of the worlds, Gravity but they had more going for them.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I agree with you that it is a fine opening imo, as long as it play intl like it could, but maybe the genre is not has popular than in the past but those dumb disaster movie can reach 150+ from time to time in the 2000s

Day after tomorrow: 186m (adjusted: 276m)

Perfect storm: 182m (311m)

2012: 166m (200m)

Also the Godzilla, WWZ, War of the worlds, Gravity but they had more going for them.

Rampage isn't really a disaster movie though.... Disaster movies are more of survival than containment. Man vs Nature while Rampage is more Man Vs Man considering how the mutants were made.

• Like 1

So A Quiet Place will easily lead this weekend? 

Not terrible for Rampage, but will die after next weekend. So hopefully Skyscraper is bigger than expected.

Truth Or Dare doing better than expected. Not bad for a horror movie going against another horror movie. So $18 million wouldn’t be a bad debut, and $40 million would be solid. 

Damn, AQP is still roaring.  Ram is doing OK and is having a normal Rock Average as far as his openings as Lead.  It's extra week was a good move but AQP is really breaking out.  As for TOD? Look Blumhouse has a flawless budget formula so even if the movie isn't getting a good response, it's set up well to make profit.  

Edited by filmscholar

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Did wiT get fudged on Friday? Or did BOM list its TC wrong? Cause it's PTA is ridiculous 

Lmao, it's clearly a mess up with the TC. It didn't lose 99% of its TC in one weekend after making over 3m last weekend. :hahaha:

1,112 is surely the correct TC. Bad Friday hold though. Unless Sat does something amazing, 100m looks off again. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

But according to producers R rated horror movies don’t make profits, so any PG-13 rated movie that makes less surely isn’t making a profits either.

What??

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. 

Profit is based on gross and budget. 

If you think $3.5m budgeted Truth or Dare making 10 times it’s budget ($35m) won’t see any profit, then you’re mad. 

So AWIT won't make 100. TR looks like it will miss 60. PRU might make 60. Acrimony looking good to at least double production budget. ICOI ending in that 11x+ budget range. RPO isn't getting 150. I don't think BP hits 700, but who knows. If Chappaquiddick really spent the $16 million on marketing they were reported to be obligated for, they're doomed.