CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

Wonder how long the 9.2 on IMDB will stay. I believe Spider-Man HC and Civil War had around an 8+ at one point. 

While 39 mil is a huge amount, it's still far behind Force Awakens, which basically made the same amount Avengers (2012) made without the previews. I'll wait till Friday and Saturday estimates come out before I firmly believe that this will beat Force Awakens. 

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

I haven't had time to look through the posts?   Happy? Sad? Angry? LMFAO?

All of the above, I would guess. That seems like par for the course for any massive opener that doesn't utterly demolish expectations. ;)

1 minute ago, Nova said:

On Fox it got 3.9 million viewers. No way between NFLN and ESPN it got over 25 million. Also not sure where these guys are getting their ratings from but THR reported that Fox got a 1.1 rating and 3.9 million viewers. 

From THR: 

Fox got a nice lift from its typical Thursday smattering of Gotham and Showtime at the Apollowith primetime coverage of the NFL draft. It gave the network a 1.1 rating in the key demo and 3.9 million viewers.

Yup. This. Still likely kept it from doing $40M+ rather than $39M. But, yeah, no where near the impact that some are suggesting. And, unlike the boxing match with enormous viewership, people didn't have to pay to watch. It didn't cut into their entertainment dollar for the weekend. So, if they held off Thursday because of the draft, they definitely catch Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. This. Still likely kept it from doing $40M+ rather than $39M. But, yeah, no where near the impact that some are suggesting. And, unlike the boxing match with enormous viewership, people didn't have to pay to watch. It didn't cut into their entertainment dollar for the weekend. So, if they held off Thursday because of the draft, they definitely catch Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Agree those people will come out for the weekend. Which is why my original point was simply that the internal multiplier could be on the higher end of comparable historical examples.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think we've always been on the same page. I just didn't want some folks to get the idea that the NFL draft kept this from hitting 45M+ lol Unfortunately I don't think we will ever know the impact because MCU films tend to play really really well on Saturday anyways regardless of an NFL draft 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Thing is you could have been waiting for the film to start and maybe you looked at your phone and watched a minute or two of the draft.  But I don't think it would have had that much of an impact

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Saturday will tell the tale. That's when Black Panther, Avengers, Iron Man  3 all had impressive days that paved for outrageous weekend numbers.

I find CW's sat bump (21%) from true Friday (50.5) most impressive considering it was a three-quel. (It had a bigger Sun drop (30%) than most MCU 'summer' openers I think but am not sure)

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Thing is you could have been waiting for the film to start and maybe you looked at your phone and watched a minute or two of the draft.  But I don't think it would have had that much of an impact

Sure. But the difference between 39 and 45 is 600k people. That's 2% of people who cared enough about the draft to turn it on. 

To hit 39mm it means perhaps 3.5mm people went to see it last night, or 1% of the US population. NFL fans likely overindex to CBM fans. So we're talking reasonable figures here.