CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

4 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Some YouTube chick whose name is well represented by one of our forum members here tweeted out that it was "SHOCKING" for IW to do less on Thursday previews than TFA :hahaha:

[delete] does box office videos every week and she thought the Thursday record was totally going down? Come on.

She talks about B.O. a lot and knows little about it, like most of those YT nerd shows.

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, peludo said:

Revenge of the Sith set the OD record on a Thursday after that masterpiece called Attack of the Clones...

In the same way I must learn to not underestimate Kevin Feige, you should not do it with Star Wars.

So it also means we should not underestimate Han Solo even though it is opening right after Deadpool 2.

Honestly, I feel like there ought to be an asterisk attached to Force Awakens's record if Infinity War falls just short of it. Force Awakens was fantastic and had an unbelievably huge opening and all, but it also had grosses from the Episodes I-IX marathon - which ranged from $50-60 per ticket - factored in.

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Honestly, I feel like there ought to be an asterisk attached to Force Awakens's record if Infinity War falls just short of it. Force Awakens was fantastic and had an unbelievably huge opening and all, but it also had grosses from the Episodes I-IX marathon - which ranged from $50-60 per ticket - factored in.

Rubbish. Going by this logic: There should also be an asterisk next to every asterisk, reminding people that someone can always find an asterisk to credit/discredit any accomplishment they do/dont like.

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cookieleeann said:

This really is Marvel's year. What a way to celebrate their 10th anniversary.

Despite being a 3-movie sub-studio, Marvel Studios may well close the year out with a DOM and WW Numbers above most (is all possible? I haven’t even considered the possibility before) other full size studios — including non-Marvel Disney.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

Just now, manny1234 said:

So it also means we should not underestimate Han Solo even though it is opening right after Deadpool 2.

Rogue One is a fucking spin off too and look what it did... I would never underestimate Star Wars in USA.

• Like 2

I am soooooo tempted to create a Ep IX over 700m* DOM club EXACTLY on December 20th at the one year date when clubs can be created.  Just so I can get the names of all the doubters on record.

* Number still in flux; probably want to run some more comps first.

Not saying I'm going to.  But sakes alive, am I tempted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Not a chance.  I'm solidly in the camp that thinks Episode IX is going to be by far the lowest grossing of the new trilogy.  

Han is dead.  Luke is dead.  Carrie Fisher is dead.  Snoke and Phasma are dead (not that they really mattered).  Killing all of them off (essentially) cut a huge chunk out of the audience for the next movie, and quite frankly, it feels more like they are only beginning a story rather than ending one in the next 2 hours 20 minutes.  

I agree honestly it felt like TLJ was the final chapter in the Skywalker Story. Rey made her choice and Kylo made his and their paths felt like they were set for the rest of their lives. The only thing left unresolved was the whole First Order vs Resistance conflict which frankly has been poorly set up that does anyone really care about it?

Don't think Episode IX will have the advantages ROTJ and ROTS did which allowed those films to increase.

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Despite being a 3-movie sub-studio, Marvel Studios may well close the year out with a DOM and WW Numbers above most (is all possible? I haven’t even considered the possibility before) other full size studios — including non-Marvel Disney.

I mean, BP's 685~ current total is still 230mil above the #2 studio warner Bros. IW only needs 215mil OW to pass Paramounts current total even with AQP. Fox won't pass BP's total till Deadpool comes out and it'll need 280mill + for that. If Deadpool disappoints then no studio will pass BP's total till Jurassic World.... assuming it doesn't also disappoint. 

Edited by Ledmonkey96
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

But weren't there MCU marathons too?

Edited by eddyxx

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I am soooooo tempted to create a Ep IX over 700m* DOM club EXACTLY on December 20th at the one year date when clubs can be created.  Just so I can get the names of all the doubters on record.

* Number still in flux; probably want to run some more comps first.

Not saying I'm going to.  But sakes alive, am I tempted.

You’ve got me on record 7 months early :)   

Edit: For 700, of course. Don’t flex that too much lower or you’ll have a meager assortment of doubters.

Edited by Thanos Legion

With BP increasing over last friday (just like AoU increased on AM's OW) I Wonder if they're gonna try to release them closer. 

I guess if CM goes batshit crazy on A4 OW they'll try to stick them all together (with a Disney X-Men release taking November's spot)