CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

8 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I’m curious as to what Matthew Vaughn could have done with the X-Men franchise had he stayed on past First Class.

So am I :whosad:. I was a bit heartbroken when I heard that fox hired fucking singer again for the x-men franchise.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Box office landscape 2018:

It is hard to break 200m total nowadays.

Marvel: it is hard not to break 200m in opening weekend

As said elsewhere, its nuts that Disney will have three 200m openers inside of 5 months. 

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

3 hours ago, RRA said:

As said elsewhere, its nuts that Disney will have three 200m openers inside of 5 months. 

It's nuts that there's 5 openers in three months that hit 200M.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Friday - 103

Saturday - 83

Sunday - 71 (-14.5%)

= 260 weekend

Monday - 22.4 (-68.5%)

Tuesday - 24.6 (+10%)

Wednesday - 16.6 (-32.5%)

Thursday - 16.4

= 80 weekdays, 340 total.

And then add ~110m for the 2nd weekend and boom 450m knocking on Ultron's Door!

Its more than nuts. Its unbelievable. lol   200 million weekend openers are supposed to belong in rarified box office history. They are supposed to come once in a blue moon and make box office history when they happen, never to be repeated for a long time. To have three within 5 months is absolutely ridiculous. lol  :D

• Like 1

I don't think I was emphatic that it wouldn't get the opening weekend record (I had 240 in the summer game) but I really didn't think it would get it.  So I was wrong and to those of you who said it would get it, I salute you guys.  

li-obama-beerrtr2zi11_2.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Why is that? There is plenty of evidence to back it up throughout box office history. Before you say $250-260m is maximum capacity, I'm just going to shoot that down very quick. I believe Spizzer did the math years ago and the theoretical maximum is in the neighborhood of $350-400m for a weekend. 

I agree.

Anyway, remember $312.5M from 1999. :P

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't think I was emphatic that it wouldn't get the opening weekend record (I had 240 in the summer game) but I really didn't think it would get it.  So I was wrong and to those of you who said it would get it, I salute you guys.  

li-obama-beerrtr2zi11_2.jpg

Appreciate it.  I knew it was a bold prediction when I made it, but knew pretty much it was going to do it.  

Feels good.  

• Like 1

I am delighted this is taking the weekend record in such a fashion. But lets not forget it took a lot of balls, commitment and money from Marvel and Disney to make all this happen. And also an infinite amount of patience. They were willing to stretch this out into a 20 movie arc over more than ten years before its culmination and finale. I can think of no movie studio that would have had that kind of long term thinking and patience.

Just look at how soon DC and warner brothers threw together justice league as a comparison. And there were any number of "sagas', some even based on popular book series that have flamed out (Narnia?), or just never grew from strength to strength like the MCU. Even Harry Potter, which is one of the most popular book series never really grew much from its opening movie except for its finale movie.

• Like 2