CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

GOTW WW adjusts to around 3.6B or so

Avatar WW adjusts to around 3.4B or so

How sad!  Avatar couldn’t even do 1GWTW

just wait for 10 year anniversary re-release

36 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ant-Man making 250 and Capt M making 400. Feel free to quote me on this

I agree - Disney was so smart on Capt M...I'm upping my original thoughts by $100M...I think $400M is now in the ballgame...it almost feels like when they talk about coattails in political elections.  I don't know that Ant Man will have coattails, but I GUARANTEE Capt M will...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Keep in mind Civil War's biggest new draws, Black Panther and Spider-Man, weren't established yet in the MCU (and Spider-Man was barely in the marketing). Now that both characters have headlined hugely successful movies, along with Strange's solo and the Guardians with two big films under their belts... it was just the perfect storm. Phase 3 is a success story for the ages.

• Like 4

Just now, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Hmmm... might not even be that close.  The $ was rock bottom in 2009.  Where's @Jason's adjusted chart in the International section?

• Like 2

I’m very okay with Paul Rudd and Michael Pena just chilling and do whatever they do in the Ant-Man films, regardless of whether the universe around them is ending/collapsing or not.

• Like 1

I just remember how unsure some people (rightfully) were about The Avengers in 2012. In 2011 a lot of people weren't even sure the film would do $400M, let alone what it did. Hell, I remember a some predictions under $300M. Would this shared universe thing really work? Would people actually go see a big crossover movie with a bunch of characters from different films? And even so, how could this crossover do any better than the film featuring the most popular one of them?

Flash forward to 2018 and it all seems so distant that this sort of thing seemed like it required too many moving pieces to really work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

Now you know that's not a fair comparison.

GWTW didn't have any help from IMAX or 3D :hahaha:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I just remember how unsure some people (rightfully) were about The Avengers in 2012. In 2011 a lot of people weren't even sure the film would do $400M, let alone what it did. Hell, I remember a some predictions under $300M. Would this shared universe thing really work? Would people actually go see a big crossover movie with a bunch of characters from different films? And even so, how could this crossover do any better than the film featuring the most popular one of them?

@Telemachos

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh god not another @EmpireCity vs Jimbo episode... yes he gives numbers but is an ass and yes I'm annoying as hell... we get it. I'll still shake any of your hands at the midnight release to be honest.

Oh but you forgot the main part! He’s useful. You just shriek incoherently about something nobody cares about. 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Flash forward to 2018 and it all seems so distant that this sort of thing seemed like it required too many moving pieces to really work.

This is arguably the biggest franchise of all time. It broke the OW record twice and it owns 6 (!!!!) of the 10 biggest OWs of all time. This is unheard of.

• Like 5

Just now, HouseOfTheSun said:

Oh but you forgot the main part! He’s useful. You just shriek incoherently about something nobody cares about. 

That's what I just said but wrote differently, really got me there.

Just now, CJohn said:

This is arguably the biggest franchise of all time. It broke the OW record twice and it owns 6 (!!!!) of the 10 biggest OWs of all time. This is unheard of.

James Camron did that 3 times didn't he? not the same franchises though.

2 minutes ago, Dark Prince said:

Now you know that's not a fair comparison.

GWTW didn't have any help from IMAX or 3D :hahaha:

Wow, how pathetic for Avatar.  Couldn’t even beat a 2D movie released during the Great Depression when nobody had a job.  Wow, Cameron should step up his game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoLegMan said:

James Camron did that 3 times didn't he? not the same franchises though.

I dont think Cameron ever got the OW record.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Wouldn't have been surprised if some GA confused the Avengers with the other Avengers film