Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Relying just on production budget is faulty - even if one has the correct numbers that studios rarely give out - when one is discussing profitability

1. Deadline has their whisper numbers of $116m budget after Georgia tax credits

2. Domestic/OS split matters in terms of money going back to the studio

3. Sony's later SM movies would have been more profitable if the P&A wasn't also as huge as their budgets. As it is ASM2 barely made any profit.

4. Sony's earlier SM movies profited enormously from the DVD boom (Marvel's minuscule cut from the DVDs was a big reason they started their own studio)

I was going to point is numbers were a bit "wrong" and would add for a 5. Merchandises isn't the same for Sony than during the first trilogy.

That makes it, in terms of production budget versus global theatrical grosses, more profitable than any Spider-Man movie since the first 

Spider-Man movie ($822m on a $139m = 5.91x) back in 2002. 

Do not know (did find anything in the leak for movies before 2004)

Spider-Man 2 earned $784m on a $220m budget in 2004 (3.56x) and 

Net budget was 237.5m and the movies revenues went a bit above 1 billion, 280m profits for the studio

Spider-Man 3 (which featured Venom as one of the villians) earned $891m on a $260m budget in 2007 (3.42x). 

Net budget was 299.76m and the movies revenues were a bit above 1120 millions, 190m in profit for the studio

Amazing Spider-Man grossed $758m worldwide on a $230m budget in 2012 (3.29x) while

Net budget was 261.58m, 704m in revenues 69m profit for the studio

Amazing Spider-Man 2 earned $709m on a $255m budget in 2014 (2.78x). 

263.95m, 603m in revenues, 14m in profits.

Amazing Spider Man box office not that different than Spider Man 2 but 30% less revenues from it and 75% less profits.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Ah Mendeslon...

Even if Venom does merely “okay” in China ($50m) and merely “okay” in Japan ($30m),

CBM without Spider-Man or called The Avengers doing $30m would be phenomenal in Japan.  Just as $50m for a CBM in China would be disappointing.

Relying just on production budget is faulty - even if one has the correct numbers that studios rarely give out - when one is discussing profitability

1. Deadline has their whisper numbers of $116m budget after Georgia tax credits

2. Domestic/OS split matters in terms of money going back to the studio

3. Sony's later SM movies would have been more profitable if the P&A wasn't also as huge as their budgets. As it is ASM2 barely made any profit.

4. Sony's earlier SM movies profited enormously from the DVD boom (Marvel's minuscule cut from the DVDs was a big reason they started their own studio)

Still, a great financial success for Venom and Sony.   Maybe they're not as quick to announce a sequel b/c Hardy now has some leverage to ask for a better film around him, including a better director. 

Hopefully

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

:Venom: deserves every penny of this success. :bravo:

2exwii.jpg

(Tbh I haven't seen the movie, but if this means that the stupid Spider-Man-less Spider-Man villains universe idea is a go, then yeah, I'd rather it didn't do well just so Sony could get it out of their heads.... Venom without Spider-Man is like the Joker without Batman: it doesn't feel complete, especially if you know the character's background and powers :) That being said, good for everyone involved that this is striking a cord with audiences everywhere, I guess.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

This happens all the time. People were so excited about Venom that they've willed themselves to like it. By the Blu-Ray release it'll have sunk in that it's just not very good. Happened with Apocalypse - people were in denial for months, but now it's the consensus that it was a dud.

Yeah but Apocalypse underperformed at the box office while Venom continues to defy expectations. That said it would be silly of Sony to believe that just because Venom was a success that every Spider-Man villain film they do from now one will be a hit. But it's still crazy to think we live in a world where Venom might make $800M.

Sony will now either think that

1. Cool we don't need Spider-Man back in our creative control because Venom can now be the launchpad for our superhero films. 

OR

2. Yeah we know what we're doing imagine if we cross over Spider-Man with Venom. Finally that $1 Billion we wanted for TASM films

Regardless Venom has got to be in the discussion for some of the best box office runs of any superhero film.  

• Like 1

The success of Venom also gets rid of the main negative of the Sony/Marvel deal which was that at best Sony was only going to be able to make a Spider-Man film every two years. Now with the success of Venom they can (depending on audience reception of other films of course) put out a superhero film every year while also keep Spider-Man being tied into the MCU. 

This all could change if Far From Home underperforms of course (which btw I've seen some predictions for that film to gross less than Homecoming which idk why that would happen).

30 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The success of Venom also gets rid of the main negative of the Sony/Marvel deal which was that at best Sony was only going to be able to make a Spider-Man film every two years. Now with the success of Venom they can (depending on audience reception of other films of course) put out a superhero film every year while also keep Spider-Man being tied into the MCU. 

This all could change if Far From Home underperforms of course (which btw I've seen some predictions for that film to gross less than Homecoming which idk why that would happen).

To my knowledge, the few FFH under Homecoming predictions I've seen are based mostly on the lack of Iron Man for this one and the competition from The Lion King. TLK is a fair argument - that shit could hit 700+ DOM and 1.8-2B WW - but the Iron Man point seems a bit moot, cause no one notices that Spider-Man himself is a draw, his popularity was boosted further more in IW and Homecoming was a generally well liked movie with very strong legs. Michael Keaton's return will help a lot too. If TLK doesn't cripple it, I think FFH has a very good chance to hit 1B WW.

26 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To my knowledge, the few FFH under Homecoming predictions I've seen are based mostly on the lack of Iron Man for this one and the competition from The Lion King. TLK is a fair argument - that shit could hit 700+ DOM and 1.8-2B WW - but the Iron Man point seems a bit moot, cause no one notices that Spider-Man himself is a draw, his popularity was boosted further more in IW and Homecoming was a generally well liked movie with very strong legs. Michael Keaton's return will help a lot too. If TLK doesn't cripple it, I think FFH has a very good chance to hit 1B WW.

FFH is not making a billion in its current release date....relax...:Venom:

• Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Actually mildly surprised Sony hasn't dated a sequel yet 

It's reasonable. I think Tom Hardy have a big problem with Sony on sequel though he already signed 3 movies. Hardy cares about quality more than box office. Look at his INS, he almost didn't update any thing after Venom opened in US(two posts when Venom made huge on OD in China). He definitely got hurt by what critics said and wanted to disassociate himself from it(I heard he refused to attend any marketing activities after the film debuted in US, and that's why there is no Chinese premiere). Audience from everywhere loved it, but it's not enough for Hardy until China could give a $100M level debut. He really want to make a better movie next time, and he probably won't do it unless Sony can give him a better script and director. It will take some time for them to make a agreement.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

It's reasonable. I think Tom Hardy have a big problem with Sony on sequel though he already signed 3 movies. Hardy cares about quality more than box office. Look at his INS, he almost didn't update any thing after Venom opened in US(two posts when Venom made huge on OD in China).

Hardy doesn't seem prolific on social media though, only 280 instagrams in total and all about Venom recently.

In general I don't think two months is abnormally long to officially announce a sequel. Sony has to negotiate a new contract with the director (or find a new one), probably a pay raise for Hardy too and other people involved. It seems unlikely Hardy would walk away from a massive paycheck in his first successful "franchise" lead role (since Mad Max is going nowhere).