Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

when he's headlined a movie on his own (Child 44, Legend

Are you serious? These movies had limited releases and no marketing. Even Will Smith at his peak wouldn't have made much more in these circumstances. What about comparing wide releases with enough marketing? 

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

Are you serious? These movies had barely 100 screens and no marketing. Even Will Smith at his peak wouldn't have made much more in this situation. What about comparing wide releases with enough marketing? 

What wide releases has he put out that you could attribute to his drawing power, though? Inception (absolutely no)? The Dark Knight Rises (HELL no)? Mad Max (nope, not even that)? The Revenant (all Leo)? Dunkirk (lol)? The day he has a hit on his own that can't be easily attributed to something or someone else, maybe can you compare his drawing power in any way to Smith's. For now, no.

(FYI I could totally see A Star is Born making more than this even with a much smaller opening. Shades of Batman & Robin/My Best Friend's Wedding)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

ETA: I also don’t trust the trailer viewers with this one. I bet A LOT are only for Dick Tongue. 

I said pages ago....

You have to watch the trailer to be in on the joke. 

Watching the trailer, even repeatedly, doesn't mean this is destined for some large OW.

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

This is bullshit. The whole point of making Venom rated R was to explore the darkeness of the character and as an awnser to the success of Deadpool. Once you take that away and force a PG-13 rating, it just becomes yet another generic superhero movie.

Fucking Sony, always ruining everything.

2 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

This is bullshit. The whole point of making Venom rated R was to explore the darkeness of the character and as an awnser to the success of Deadpool. Once you take that away and force a PG-13 rating, it just becomes yet another generic superhero movie.

Fucking Sony, always ruining everything.

I remembered thinking that exact same thing about Suicide Squad. Of course, that movie was a financial hit, so it doesn’t seem like a PG-13 rating should hurt this movie from a financial standpoint. 

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mad Max (nope, not even that)

Do you really think it would have opened to 45mln OW just with great reviews, without appealing actor in the lead role? Well, I have bad news for you.

Edited by Firepower

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Do you really think it would have opened to 45mln OW just with great reviews, without appealing actor in the lead role? Well, I have bad news for you.

Charlize got equal billing so he can't take full credit.

But Mad Max was big more because of great reviews + amazing marketing campaign than either of them individually.

Edited by filmlover

Some movies benefit greatly (in terms of quality) when they're allowed to have an R-rating. This is one of those films. I think Sony really really dropped the ball on this one and big time by making it PG-13. I also believe Sony has limited the box office potential for this by making it PG-13. 

Lastly are people seriously questioning Will Smith's drawing power against Tom Hardy's? I mean Tom Hardy is a great actor but Will Smith was one of those actors who was getting folks to go to the theater aka he is the definition of what a movie star is. Wouldn't be surprised if you went to the dictionary and saw his picture next to the word movie star. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

You are not seriously trying to compare Tom Hardy (and anyone else who has broken out in the 2010s, really) to Will Smith at his peak, are you? Because dude...

I think it is simply reading comprehension issue here, he clearly did not he explicitly stated that he was not talking about prime Smith.

Edited by Barnack

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

You are not seriously trying to compare Tom Hardy (and anyone else who has broken out in the 2010s, really) to Will Smith at his peak, are you? Because dude...

Meth. Cocaine. It’s the only explanation for the insanity of these people.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

A lot of people watched Spider Man 3, a lot of people know about Spider Man and his main villains, not less than Batman and his bads. I can tell you that tons of people know about Venom, including outside US, he's iconic character. It wouldn't have made this much hype and trailer views with shitty trailers if he hadn't been popular.

Maybe if I would have seen Spider Man 3 I would know him I guess, but with that movie reception it became a more fans type that seen it.

He is popular among the comic-book crowd I do not doubt that, that crowd became big enough to boost online metric very high also, I do not doubt that.

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

What about After Earth/Colateral Beauty then? You compare Tom Hardy's art-house flicks with limited releases and no marketing with Will Smith's wide releases with a lot of marketing. Is it fair? What about Fury Road then? When did the last Will Smith's movie outside SS and MIB3 make 45+ OW? 2008 ?

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

For a certain type of movies achieving to get theater is more than half the battle and having a draw or not has the lead will be a great determinant in how many theater they get. That why it is really hard to access star powers, movie not having a star in them never get the treatment movie with known face get, outside genre/franchise/crazy great reviews and those can be sold with unknown.

45m+ OW for non franchise movie ? I mean even Denzel never did 45m OW in is life, that something almost only Smith did on a regular basis. the only time DiCaprio did it outside the adaptation of one of the most popular book ever was with Nolan, etc... Sure Smith cannot pull that off now, no one can.

Has for the comparable, yes is movies does not get pick by studio very often but I am not sure I would call Warrior an arthouse movie and it started wide, Legend was distributed by an giant MPAA studio Universal, if they dropped it it could be that it had terrible tracking type metrics and made a terrible PTA on is limited run, why a good reviewed movie supported by a studio didn't work, who knows but maybe if it stared a draw it would have helped it.

You could be right about Hardy being bigger now than a 2016 Smith, but it is a very shaky claim, has no Hardy lead movie ever had any commercial success yet, ever (if I am not missing one ?, I could). Some nice success has one of the or the main supporting player like dark knight Rises, This Means War, Fury Road, Inception, etc...

But when he is the lead, has yet to happen, Smith was still pulling 160m out of a movie like Focus (not that far from a Skyscraper outside China).

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I do not know him at all, first time I heard of him what on this message board with this thread / movie announcement, maybe it is different in the USA too were people follow those things way more. But you could be overrating average joe SH knowledge and interest here a little bit.

Tom Hardy lead movie have an hard time making 10m at the box office, I think none did reach 15m ever, that the movies box office when Hardy is the lead (copy pasting from here: https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/26519-venom-under-100m/?do=findComment&comment=3598671

If I am not missing / had too many in there, those are the sold on Hardy / list of Hardy when he is the clear lead movies (or was Joel the lead in Warrior ? I do not remember that movie much outside that it was quite fun):

DBO Rotten tomatoes
Legend   1.88 61%
Child 44    1.22 26%
The Drop 10.70 89%
Locke   1.37 91%
Warrior 13.65 83%
Bronson   0.10 76%

Smith is not half of Pursuit of Happiness Smith in term of drawing power, but if you put him in a summer blockbuster with a fun trailer and him saying funny thing, it is still freaking Will Smith that started to the biggest draw of the late 90s/early 2000 level he did not fall to a Kevin Costner level.

Hardy has good appeal for that crowd natural audience and a good choice, but no necessarily the type that will help the movie reach outside is natural audience and break out, like a Will Smith can.

I don't think putting Legend and Locke against him are fair. Even Warrior. If that movie had come out today I think it would have done great. Plus it had a no name distributor. Locke's a movie that takes place in a car the entire time. It got $5 million WW. I think that's as good as it could have done especially since A24 was just getting started. Legend did really well internationally and broke records??? in the UK. Universal just didn't care to push it in the US. And Child 44 was just a disaster that Lionsgate had no clue what to do with.  I definitely think MAD MAX: Fury Road is missing from that list as well.

His movies have done well when he's coleading like TDKR, This Means War (did ok), Tinker Tailor, Lawless, Mad Max, The Revenant, Dunkirk. Besides Mad Max, he really has chosen not to be the STAR of any studio movies. He usually only stars in Indies as you listed, just like he has again with FONZO. But hopefully VENOM breaks the mold and can do well

Venom is definitely a very well known character by general audiences. He was always present in all of those Spider-Man animated shows and video games, and those were not restricted to comic book fans. Not to mention of course Spider-Man 3 which was a big movie.

And the thing is, thanks to the current popularity of the movies, regular people are becoming more interested in the comic book universes. So, just having a movie like Venom coming out, and having fans and geek blogs talking about it, it's enough to attract interest from a lot of people who may not know the character. People are invested in comic book universes and want to know more about them.

Unless the conversation about Venom is really negative like with Justice League and Fantastic Four 2015, I don't see how it opens that small.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 1

I never heard of Venom as a CB character and if I go see it, it's because Tom Hardy is in it.

Just been watching him in Peaky Blinders and the guy is just an outstanding actor.

Also he's good at picking parts, if he took this role, then it would be because the script was good.

You don't always get a good film from a good script, but you can tell something from it.

Edited by AndyK

On 8/10/2018 at 10:03 PM, Nova said:

Some movies benefit greatly (in terms of quality) when they're allowed to have an R-rating. This is one of those films. I think Sony really really dropped the ball on this one and big time by making it PG-13. I also believe Sony has limited the box office potential for this by making it PG-13. 

Lastly are people seriously questioning Will Smith's drawing power against Tom Hardy's? I mean Tom Hardy is a great actor but Will Smith was one of those actors who was getting folks to go to the theater aka he is the definition of what a movie star is. Wouldn't be surprised if you went to the dictionary and saw his picture next to the word movie star. 

As a Venom fan, I dont think this movie would benefit all that much from an R-Rating. Venom isnt known for swearing or alot of sexual jokes and R-Rated violence can only add so much. A venom film can work perfectly well on a PG-13 rating, he isnt Deadpool, he doesnt need the R-rating.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:06 AM, WittyUsername said:

I have serious doubts that this movie will open to as low as $30 million, even with bad reviews. 

has a far better shot at 30 od than 30 ow imo:

8.5 + 21.5 (od=3.5x previews; IT was 3.7x+ with much bigger numbers)

26 (+20% from true fri) // IT was +22%

17 (-35%) // IT was -38%

= 73 (8.6x the previews; IT was 9.1x+)

IT may not be the best comp but it was R-rated like Venom could be and opened like a tentpole. Also had very strong online buzz.

Edited by a2k