Neo

Venom | 5 OCTOBER 2018 | Sony | Tom Hardy is Venom. Social Media reactions coming in

48 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Wow. Bold move Cotton. 

Not really, you can expect around $100M DOM for The Nun:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 The Conjuring WB (NL) $137,400,141 3,115 $41,855,326 2,903 7/19/13
2 The Conjuring 2 WB (NL) $102,470,008 3,356 $40,406,314 3,343 6/10/16
3 Annabelle: Creation WB (NL) $102,092,201 3,565 $35,006,404 3,502 8/11/17
4 Annabelle WB (NL) $84,273,813 3,215 $37,134,255 3,185 10/3/14

Venom has a very good chance to open above $100M.

PG-13 cut-down Venom?  I hope it isn't a mess, but is still warmly welcomed enough to warrant 'A' cinemascore.

Has there ever been pent-up anticipation for a villain movie before?  I remember people went wild for Jared Leto's Joker a few years ago during the 3 months of constant trailers before SS opened.  

3 hours ago, a2k said:

Missed the PG-13 breaking news. Can't believe Sony chickend out :sparta:

Make sure that the grocery store bit looks as lame in the theaters. Check.

I really don't think they shot this as a rated R. I know that when they announced the project they said they were gonna do R but I think that changed once Hardy and Fleischer came on. In all of his interviews, Fleischer keeps saying "it hasn't been rated yet, but we're pushing the envelope" and in one of the interviews he mentioned THE DARK KNIGHT to compare Venom darkness and violence wise. All his answers are hinting that it's PG13 but he doesn't want to disappoint anyone and just say it's PG13 bc everytime he gets asked about the rating the questions is always "Is it rated R?" rather than "What's it rated?"

Also, think about it, they couldn't have just edited it down. They could have edited and taken out the violence if it was rated R, but if the movie was shot as a rated R, then it likely would have had strong language like Logan or Deadpool (maybe not as abrasive). Language would have been nearly impossible to cut out. Therefore, I think the shooting script was a PG13 project

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dX airdry zid said:

Wondering if this one will take a different creative direction and end up divisive but still making like 80 OW / 200 DOM domestic, and ward of franchise potential.  Kind of like The Mummy took a creative spin. 

Alita: Battle Angel could do the same and limp to 200 million and be hailed as a flop.  

What? Alita probably won't even make it to 100 million. 

• Like 1

The Russian dub of the trailer changed "turd in the wind" to "turd hanging in the sewer" but that does honor the amount of sense the original line makes. Also the Russian word for turd (kakashka) sounds so much funnier especially in this context. Packed auditoriums gotta be losing their shit at this. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The Russian dub of the trailer changed "turd in the wind" to "turd hanging in the sewer" but that does honor the amount of sense the original line makes. Also the Russian word for turd (kakashka) sounds so much funnier especially in this context. Packed auditoriums gotta be losing their shit at this.  

I had to look it up.

lmao

• Like 1

On 9/3/2018 at 9:43 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Not really, you can expect around $100M DOM for The Nun:

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 The Conjuring WB (NL) $137,400,141 3,115 $41,855,326 2,903 7/19/13
2 The Conjuring 2 WB (NL) $102,470,008 3,356 $40,406,314 3,343 6/10/16
3 Annabelle: Creation WB (NL) $102,092,201 3,565 $35,006,404 3,502 8/11/17
4 Annabelle WB (NL) $84,273,813 3,215 $37,134,255 3,185 10/3/14

Venom has a very good chance to open above $100M.

Maybe, but more than a few people I know have commented on how shitty it looks. Anecdotal, but interesting. 

Whats the deal with people jumping on the "its not R rated so its has to suck" train? I dont see how an R rating would improve a Venom movie in any significant way. The Dark Knight was PG-13. Theres nothing in Venom that has to be more raw or brutal than anything that was seen in that movie.

16 minutes ago, Crainy said:

Whats the deal with people jumping on the "its not R rated so its has to suck" train? I dont see how an R rating would improve a Venom movie in any significant way. The Dark Knight was PG-13. Theres nothing in Venom that has to be more raw or brutal than anything that was seen in that movie.

TDK comparison is wrong. Venom is a dark movie with horror elements about big monster with big teeth who eats people and tortures his host. The initial reports promised body horror in the vein of early Cronenberg movies. It's definitely adult material, if they tone it down, it'll hurt this movie.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Firepower said:

TDK comparison is wrong. Venom is a dark movie with horror elements about big monster with big teeth who eats people and tortures his host. The initial reports promised body horror in the vein of early Cronenberg movies. It's definitely adult material, if they tone it down, it'll hurt this movie.

You act like you have seen the movie and know how it handles things. You havent seen it, making your concern an unfounded assumption at best. Venom for the largest part is a big element of a mostly immature comic book series. Sure, you could go with an R-rating for the character, but unlike something like Deadpool, its not something that is intrinsic to the character. And the question wether or not you would like an R-rated take on the character more is completely irrelevant when it comes to judging the quality of this movie.

30 minutes ago, Firepower said:

If it was shot as rated R and they edited it down to PG13, then yeah that might hurt the movie. But I really do not think they shot this as an R. If it was shot as an R it would have strong language, and that would be near impossible to work around

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

You act like you have seen the movie and know how it handles things. You havent seen it, making your concern an unfounded assumption at best.

I described the movie shown in the trailers and it's a movie where the best possible version obviously has R-rating. How do you think they'll handle PG-13 version of a dark horror movie about giant scary monster who eats people? They'll just cut nasty stuff, tone down violence and body horror stuff, obviously. This is not TDK, which can be made like an uncompromised vision without R-rating.

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

Venom for the largest part is a big element of a mostly immature comic book series. Sure, you could go with an R-rating for the character, but unlike something like Deadpool, its not something that is intrinsic to the character.

Deadpool is also part of immature comic book series, but like Deadpool Venom needs adult take to be the best possible version. The character has as much adult stuff as Deadpool, if not more. I don't know why do you think that Deadpool with some gore and dirty jokes is "more adult" than dark movie with horror elements about big scary monster who eats people and body tortures its host, it just doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

And the question wether or not you would like an R-rated take on the character more is completely irrelevant when it comes to judging the quality of this movie.

Everyone wants R-rated Venom, I don't know a single person who wants to see a toned down version of it instead.

Edited by Firepower