CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

• Community Manager

Well I saw Deadpool 2. Only because my apartment is under construction during the day and I didn't really have anything better to do. It was okay. Just like the first movie. Probably the worst CBM movie of the year so far.

• Like 7
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Istealnames said:

Stupid move by fox to move deadpool up to this weekend. Both the movies got cannibalised. And next week solo drops, if these numbers hold true IW is dropping like a cliff and DP2 isnt crossing 130.

Fox didn't have a lot of options because of the World cup next month. Ideally Deadpool would've been the Memorial weekend release and Solo moved to December.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Wait how is a 52-55mil Friday disappointing? Also it's early, the numbers could easily increase. 

A lot of people thought 150 was a lock (not me). I would have liked an increase over the original but even 125 would be a solid opening. It just seems like it's probably going to decrease more domestically than once thought since mediocre legs are expected.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

JL was always going to flop after how hated BvS was. Release date was never going to matter for JL.

Ok so Thor opening 2 weeks before didn’t affect JL. But DP2 opening 4 weeks after Avengers has an impact.

Got it!

:lol:

• Haha 1

December, 23rd, 2015

In the greatest bit of marketing for Marvel's "Deadpool" yet, Wade Wilson (Ryan Reynolds) gives us the gift that keeps on giving the whole year. And by gift we mean a bag of burning feces on our doorstep as a Christmas Yule Log video.

https://www.wired.com/2016/02/deadpool-marketing/

The anatomy of why it WORKED back in February, 2016 and why it DID NOT in May, 2018.:whosad:

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

A lot of people thought 150 was a lock (not me). I would have liked an increase over the original but even 125 would be a solid opening. It just seems like it's probably going to decrease more domestically than once thought since mediocre legs are expected.

Oh okay. I predicted 139.4mil in the derby and thought it had a solid chance of hitting 150mil. I guess if the numbers don't increase I'm not disappointed because I always thought 120ishmil was a possibility. It's very difficult for sequels to 130+mil openers to increase a lot. Catching Fire had great reviews and an actress on a red hot streak and it still only opened with a couple of mil more than the first.

• Like 1

I don't get all the folks saying Deadpool's #'s are bad...it's a supers movie that is looking at matching or possibly exceeding its 1st edition's OW and its total budget in 3 days...c'mon, guys...$120M or $140M - either way, it's a great starting number - I mean, not all supers make $600M+...just 10 months ago, we were cheering all the $300M performers (and freaking out about the one that finally cracked $400M) last summer - let's keep some perspective!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Feel like there's probably a middle ground between "direct competition doesn't matter" and "direct competition is always the end of the world" but what do I know

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I don't get all the folks saying Deadpool's #'s are bad...it's a supers movie that is looking at matching or possibly exceeding its 1st edition's OW and its total budget in 3 days...c'mon, guys...$120M or $140M - either way, it's a great starting number - I mean, not all supers make $600M+...just 10 months ago, we were cheering all the $300M performers (and freaking out about the one that finally cracked $400M) last summer - let's keep some perspective!

Think ppl wanted bigger OW than first b/c sequel legs are gonna be worse. But this is an excellent OD, thought it would be much lower few weeks ago

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Feel like there's probably a middle ground between "direct competition doesn't matter" and "direct competition is always the end of the world" but what do I know

go beat your street Ass chewy

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Think ppl wanted bigger OW than first b/c sequel legs are gonna be worse. But this is an excellent OD, thought it would be much lower few weeks ago

You know, I don't know for certain that the legs will be worse...it's possibly a better release set for Deadpool to ride through I2 - college kids are all out all summer - there's a 4 day holiday coming...it's supposedly a really good movie...it will have the R rated comedy spot to itself for awhile...

I wouldn't be shocked if the legs fall within .1x either way of the 1st with the way this movie sets up (having to deal OW with grad weekend and packed end of May and the super that is still chugging around it)...

I mean, I'm not going til next weekend or 1st weekend of June b/c I'm just too darn busy...and I was at Deadpool 1 OW...anecdotal, yes, but Valentine's Weekend is the much bigger "going to the movies and this is an easy call" weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Wonder Woman opened 4 weeks after GOTG2 and WW still became the hit of the summer, so DP2 opening 3 weeks after IW shouldn't be a huge difference maker.

Comparing WW or BP with DP doesn't work. Neither are regular superhero films, and DP2 has the disadvantage of not having the same stellar viral marketing campaign that the first one did. If DP2 used the blockbuster season to build up its viral campaign I could see it being as effective as the first one. This time what we got was better than the first, but all at once and not enough time for the GA or even hardcores to consume it. 

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

DP2 number will probably go up later into the evening. The IW number is sad but honestly I expected a 60% drop lol

This reminds me of when everyone was freaking out over IW opening weekend numbers on Friday but then everything ended up alright.

Not necessarily saying that absolutely will happen here but we should wait before we start rioting

• Like 1

Just now, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

This reminds me of when everyone was freaking out over IW opening weekend numbers on Friday but then everything ended up alright.

Not necessarily saying that absolutely will happen here but we should wait before we start rioting

Not here :hahaha::ohmygod:

• Haha 2