CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Uh oh. 

Whatever way you try to spin it, opening under the original is not ok.

A shame cause Deadpool 2 was 16 x more entertaining than Infinity War.

58-60% drop for IW isn’t good either, no spinning. 

Lol, both of your statements are wrong. First off all it may still open above D1, if it doesn't it's still a massive opening which should lead to 300M + gross DOM and 700+ WW on a 110M budget.

Also, AIW won't drop more than 55% even in the worst case scenario, it may even do 30M + and drop only 51-52%.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Uh oh. 

First Deadpool OW was inflated by a holiday. (Although I did think the marketing push could get DP2 to 150 OW but wtv)

IW isn't dropping 60%. More like 53%

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool 2 is going under the first one opening weekend Not a big deal but no one was really expecting that 

It’s surprising AF but this is a first world franchise problem when put into context. 

Breaking In:

1.9M (+141%)

2.7M (+40%)

1.5M (-45%)

6.1M Weekend, 65% drop

Obviously this isn't a good hold by any means, but the PTA will still be over $2,400. If this and LOTP hold similarly next week, theaters will give the edge to Breaking In when deciding what to get rid of on June 1 and 8.

14 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

DP1 added 84.9 on Sat+Sun. Considering DP2's true Friday is the same (34.7 vs 34.6) and there's no VD Sunday boost, 75 more for 128.3 ow seems like the most I guess.

That would be almost 0.5 x IW OW.

• Haha 1

The overall decline of the home media market has made it difficult for sequels to see a substantial increase from their predecessors. Now you need to capture people's imaginations out the gate and hope that they'll want to come back for more.

Edited by filmlover

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Uh oh. 

Good math skills on the IW drop and nice “no spinning” comment as well :hahaha::hahaha:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Uh oh. 

what if i told you its not dropping 58-60%? :hahaha:

• Haha 1

For R-rated May openers, Neighbors and Aliens both dropped more than 20% on Sunday, Nice Guys also, and the very well received Mad Max dropped 21.5%.  Godzilla(-29.7%) and Star Trek ID(-19.9%) opened on this same weekend and had varied drops.  

Mad Max jumped 25% from Friday to Saturday.  125-130 seems like the range to me.  Best case IMO:

18.6 + 34.7 + 43.4(+25%) + 34.7(-20%) = 131.4

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The overall decline of the home media market has made it difficult for sequels to see a substantial increase from their predecessors. Now you need to capture people's imaginations out the gate and hope that they'll want to come back for more.

So wait, what about Netflix/streaming?  I get that DVDs/Blu-ray sales are falling, but I was sort of under the impression that streaming was picking up the slack.

Honestly though, that makes the MCU's consistent increases between installments that much more impressive.

12 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Lol, both of your statements are wrong. First off all it may still open above D1, if it doesn't it's still a massive opening which should lead to 300M + gross DOM and 700+ WW on a 110M budget.

Also, AIW won't drop more than 55% even in the worst case scenario, it may even do 30M + and drop only 51-52%.

That would still be less than the first, as I said, not ok.

11 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

First Deadpool OW was inflated by a holiday. (Although I did think the marketing push could get DP2 to 150 OW but wtv)

IW isn't dropping 60%. More like 53%

IW drop still bad, and sequel should out-open origjnal, more hype. 

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Good math skills on the IW drop and nice “no spinning” comment as well :hahaha::hahaha:

Doesn’t need spinned, still not good. 

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

what if i told you its not dropping 58-60%? :hahaha:

Still not good.

Finished :) 

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Or maybe this is just the cap for this particular franchise regardless of reviews/video/etc? Hell Marvel Studios couldn’t break 200 million OW after 2012 despite their vaunted brand name until this year (twice!) 

personally if I’m running Fox (until King Mickey kicks me out) I would prefer an underwhelming OW with good reviews than a record breaking OW with meh reviews. Short term yeah you win bragging rights but at what cost for the brand long term? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Uh oh. 

Well, when you consider that the original opened on a double holiday weekend, it actually is more than ok.  

The original had the benefit of Valentine's Day inflating Friday/Saturday and then President's Day causing an increase on Sunday.  

To basically tie or beat that is great.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

DP2

Fri: 53.3M 

Sat: 43.5M (-18%/+25%)

Sun: 34.7M (-20%)

Total: 131.5M weekend

IW

Fri: 7.25M (+111%)

Sat: 12.33M (+70%)

Sun: 9.25M (-25%)