Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I am going to make one more overly positive prediction looking at anecdotal numbers and how they go this weekend that I will happily own when it is wrong.  

The preview number is going to look weak.  People will freak out.  

Looking at things for Friday and especially Saturday, they actually look pretty encouraging with everything factored in.  The word of mouth will be good, the Memorial Day crowd is more casual walk up types and the numbers will end up looking improved in comparison to the Thursday preview number.

I actually agree, but this reminds me of fans (such as myself) saying JL could recover some in its legs from the crap OW and make an okay multiplier b/c it was a decent, fun movie...and it did, in part, going way above BVS's 1.99x and getting a respectable 2.44x, even with being knocked out of the market before the Xmas holidays...but that box office was still lackluster and under-performing, at best...

I mean, Star Wars getting previews under $20M (almost certainly) and under $15M (possibly) - unimaginable probably til last week...now, it starts so far behind the 8-ball, all it can do over the weekend is recover from a possibly epic disaster, but not actually do anything considered good for the BO weekend...

Although, one more caveat and "oh shi&t" detail...the walk up numbers tonight are even scarier than the presales...hopefully, that's b/c everyone just assumes Star Wars sells out, so no one walks up Thursday at reserved seat theaters...b/c almost literally, at those theaters, no one is walking up Thursday, looking at a few posters' theaters (and my own checks)...Disney better start advertising yesterday that they have plenty of walk up room for this movie all weekend...or this could just be the tip of the iceberg...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I actually agree, but this reminds me of fans (such as myself) saying JL could recover some in its legs from the crap OW and make an okay multiplier b/c it was a decent, fun movie...and it did, in part, going way above BVS's 1.99x and getting a respectable 2.44x, even with being knocked out of the market before the Xmas holidays...but that box office was still lackluster and under-performing, at best...

I mean, Star Wars getting previews under $20M (almost certainly) and under $15M (possibly) - unimaginable probably til last week...now, it starts so far behind the 8-ball, all it can do over the weekend is recover from a possibly epic disaster, but not actually do anything considered good for the BO weekend...

Although, one more caveat and "oh shi&t" detail...the walk up numbers tonight are even scarier than the presales...hopefully, that's b/c everyone just assumes Star Wars sells out, so no one walks up Thursday at reserved seat theaters...b/c almost literally, at those theaters, no one is walking up Thursday, looking at a few posters' theaters (and my own checks)...Disney better start advertising yesterday that they have plenty of walk up room for this movie all weekend...or this could just be the tip of the iceberg...

I don't worry about walk up numbers mostly until Saturday.  That is where they make the real difference.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunch said:

The Russos are obidient studio puppets, I'm sure Kathleen would love them too.

Honestly the one thing that might totally reinvigorate Star Wars in the future, if the current films start flopping, is George Lucas returning to the director's chair. But that will probably never happen.

He will never return since he still doesnt forget what the "star wars" fans did to him

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

The Russos are obidient studio puppets, I'm sure Kathleen would love them too.

Honestly the one thing that might totally reinvigorate Star Wars in the future, if the current films start flopping, is George Lucas returning to the director's chair. But that will probably never happen.

Kathleen, for her faults, never made a SW film as bad as AOTC or TPM , for which Lucas was responsible.

ANd your comment on the Russos is beneath contempt.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Their films being really good, well received by critics and beloved by fans and General Audiences?

Yeah I guess Kathleen Kennedy would love to have them.

I mean sure, but they're not classics and won't ever be. Marvel is pure prolefeed. It's factory line happy meal movies. They could be directed by anyone. There's a reason why the X-Men films are so much more sophisticated. Until Disney buys Fox, I guess.

But when it comes to Star Wars, they need someone with a vision. 

Edited by Hunch
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

If the Russo Brothers are not studio puppets then they are completely talentless filmmakers. Take your pick.

Also, for what it's worth Force Awakens is worse than Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace @dudalb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I mean sure, but they're not classics and won't ever be. Marvel is pure prolefeed. It's factory line happy meal movies. They could be directed by anyone. There's a reason why the X-Men films are so much more sophisticated. Until Disney buys Fox, I guess.

But when it comes to Star Wars, they need someone with a vision. 

:apocalypse:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Sad day when people think George Lucas still has anything to offer as a director.

I think Lucas  losing his skills as a screenwriter was just as damaging to the prequels as his directing.

I think it's a minor miracle he managed to get enough of his writing skills back or let his co writer take the lead for ROTS,and least get one decent film out of the prequels.

Yes, it's not what it could have been, but compared to the previous two prequels....