Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Deadpool 2's extreme frontloading shows that a portion of the audience that saw the first definitely had their fill of its brand of humor and weren't interested in returning.

Unpopular opinion but I actually think the problem is that the first had people bringing their kids to it not expecting it to be the hard R that it was and obviously not returning for the second. I know this is anecdotal but I remember for the first the several times I watched it in theaters, there were families in there. Whereas Ive seen the second three different times in theaters (two being during the day) and its like those families got the memo on what kind of film it is. 

• Like 3

Just now, Maxmoser3 said:

The last memorable Memorial Day weekend was 5 years ago.

I remember reaidng that Fast & Furious 6 was going to open on-par with its predecessor. 

Hangover 3 was expected to do north of $50-$60’million ow and do anywhere from $150-$170 million to even $190-$200 million on other sources. 

Well.. we know how that weekend turned out :ohmygod: 

The fall of Hangover 3 really shows how bad the reception of 2 was.

Just now, Nova said:

Unpopular opinion but I actually think the problem is that the first had people bringing their kids to it not expecting it to be the hard R that it was and obviously not returning for the second. I know this is anecdotal but I remember for the first the several times I watched it in theaters, there were families in there. Whereas Ive seen the second three different times in theaters (two being during the day) and its like those families got the memo on what kind of film it is. 

I saw a 6 year old in my showing.  They stayed til the end too :thinking: 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

I don't think it'd have this big of an effect. 

17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Nope.  It will have a 7 weeks to itself and summer weekdays.  

Not to mention it’s probably the biggest 4 quad movie of the summer. Families won’t just go to see it, nostalgia will be in effect and it’s stacked cast helped. Not to mention, only two of the family films in May-June are going $300M+, which are Pets 2 and TS4 (which we haven’t heard much of recently). Hell Pets and TS4 will hurt each other due to how close they are.

Solo’s actually a pretty dang good time.  It’s funny, I think all of the TLJ haters choosing to boycott it would actually dig it.

Probably my least favorite of the Disney Star Wars, it’s much better than AOTC or Phantom Menace.  It’s better made than Revenge of the Sith but not as hammy and fun as that one.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 4

Just now, Mulder said:

I have to wonder if people just didn't dig Deadpool 2 as much as the reviews'd suggest.

I think it's just that the first was a lighting-in-a-bottle success that was gonna be impossible to duplicate. It's hard to sustain a gimmick like that (potty-mouthed spin on an inherently PG/PG-13 genre) for more than one film; just ask poor, completely rejected Ted 2.

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I saw kids under 6 in both Deadpool and Logan but none for DP2, then again I went at 10:00.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's looking to drop 65-70% which goes beyond just being front loaded. 

Sorry Nova. I really mean that. I know how big a fan you are. I really just don't get why Fox put the movie where they did. Or do you think it would have dropped like this regardless?

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

This could be a big reason. I 100% agree.

When I saw the first, there were quite a few kids there.

The second film? Not so much. In fact I saw NO children, it was mostly middle aged and old people.

Remember when I told you my aunt loved this one? She didn't like the original. Is there something about this film that is attracting older folk? 

I know DP2 relies FAR less on dick jokes so maybe that's it?

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun

Just now, That One Guy said:

I saw a 6 year old in my showing.  They stayed til the end too :thinking: 

I mean I had a young kid in one of my showings but what I mean is that I distinctly remember several families being in my screenings for the first and Ive yet to see that for the second. I'm not saying the first played like a family movie but what I am saying is that the first most likely attracted folks who were naive about just how rated R it was and thus for the second they stayed away. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

That's what happens when these sites base their projections on a franchise name instead of what the pre-release data is showing. 

Absolutely. I was frustrated in particular with the higher ticket sales than Black Panther in 24 hours nothingburger story. The truth is, and I'm including myself in this, we were all afraid to actually predict Solo. We had Star Wars blinders on.

• Like 1