Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

21 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

not good for Solo. 225-250m domestic potentially

Lower, don't think there's much chance of 250 at all

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

Unpopular opinion but I actually think the problem is that the first had people bringing their kids to it not expecting it to be the hard R that it was and obviously not returning for the second. I know this is anecdotal but I remember for the first the several times I watched it in theaters, there were families in there. Whereas Ive seen the second three different times in theaters (two being during the day) and its like those families got the memo on what kind of film it is. 

This makes me wonder if X-Force will be pg-13. 

The other thing working against Solo and Infinity War long term is Disney has 2 more huge movies in the next 5 weeks to open.  

Theaters are going to bury Infinity War starting next week and especially on 6/8 to get as much room for Incredibles 2.  Solo will especially get buried on 6/15 so theaters can get more screens of Jurassic World and be rid of it completely by 7/6 for Ant-Man.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Go back in time and tell people in 2005 that a Star Wars movie could potentially gross less than an Alvin and the Chipmunks live action movie

Go back to 2016 and tell people that a Star Wars movie released less than two years later would make less than either of the Illumination releases (The Secret Life of Pets and Sing) that year. Somebody on this forum would've probably called a mental institution to take you away.

Deadpool 2 is doing well for a comedy sequel. It's lucky that it's not going to drop 35% from it's predecessor. It's a huge hit that cost less than half of what Solo cost to make. Infinity War is a smash hit, whocares what it's going to drop this weekend. No matter how hard anyone tries they can't not make IW's amazing numbers disappointing. 700mil was NEVER the threshold for success. Solo's numbers are bad. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I kept saying sequels always have much worse legs, ignore the other recent Marvel sequel please :sparta:

On 5/6/2018 at 2:26 PM, Chewy said:

When IW ends with a 2.4x and yall have to apologize to my bb Ultron for laughing at his thicc robot legs >>>>

On 4/25/2018 at 1:22 PM, Chewy said:

Ppl are getting antsy cuz they know Civil War legs are probably coming but have been trying to talk themselves out of it for like a year

On 3/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, Chewy said:

Folks think Infinity War is gonna have legs? In this economy?

On 3/19/2018 at 8:14 AM, Chewy said:

I been saying this and ppl keep telling me it doesn't matter (it matters)

It makes a certain amount of sense if they know they can only do this "WHOLE UNIVERSE CROSSOVER" hype machine once. Legs won't be good and the next one will decrease but that's the price you pay

On 4/30/2018 at 8:58 AM, Chewy said:

For everyone saying "the WOM is great there's no way this has poor legs"... plz go read those early CW threads

On 2/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, Chewy said:

2.1x multi tho

On 4/30/2018 at 6:06 AM, Chewy said:

"Designed for the fans" is the exact opposite of the type of content that guarantees legs

On 1/2/2018 at 2:31 PM, Chewy said:

In, hype is huge and the OW will probably beat TA's but legs arent gonna be great for this P1 (I know it's not technically a P1 but cmon, it's a P1)

~475

On 11/30/2017 at 7:27 AM, Chewy said:

This is the first half of a two parter, legs arent going to be great

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Deadpool 2 is doing well for a comedy sequel. It's lucky that it's not going to drop 35% from it's predecessor. It's a huge hit that cost less than half of what Solo cost to make. Infinity War is a smash hit, whocares what it's going to drop this weekend. No matter how hard anyone tries they can't not make IW's amazing numbers disappointing. 700mil was NEVER the threshold for success. Solo's numbers are bad. 

700 only ever mattered so much because of Black Panther. It feels very strange to have it under that considering IW absolutely feels like the bigger event to me. 

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

The other thing working against Solo and Infinity War long term is Disney has 2 more huge movies in the next 5 weeks to open.  

Theaters are going to bury Infinity War starting next week and especially on 6/8 to get as much room for Incredibles 2.  Solo will especially get buried on 6/15 so theaters can get more screens of Jurassic World and be rid of it completely by 7/6 for Ant-Man.  

As long as Infinity War is making money, theaters will be eager to hold on to it. Especially when next week's openers aren't looking to be much of a threat, or getting very high theater counts (Adrift will make the biggest dent and even that likely isn't doing higher than low-teens at best).

1 minute ago, Nova said:

As I just said to another poster I am really not sure the release date would have made much difference except maybe it could have kept IMAX screens longer? Its drops OS are perfectly fine and its probably going to outgross the original in that department. So as a result I am not sure the domestic numbers would have been all that different for it on a different release date. 

I think the problem  is a tad more complex than most would like to discuss here, and the biggest reason why Deadpool 2 isn't performing as well as it should isn't sequeltitis, a lackuster sequel or even hitting the ceiling like some have suggested. The problem is that Deadpool 2 isn't an event. And that's the problem with Solo too, to be honest. You can't have three "events" films in the same month, let alone an "event" film like Infinity War and expect that the other films won't suffer. 

Many have said here how much their loved ones and acquaintances would always mistake the date of Solo as a December release instead of May. There's only so much of "event cinema" that the GA can take in one month. You know me, I'm a hardcore Marvel, DC and Star Wars fan. I've watched Deadpool 1 6 times on theaters. Civil War I've watched 10 times. TFA and TLJ 5 times each. This time, I've watched Infinity War 4 times, Deadpool 2 2 times. There's only so much time you can invest on, even if you are a hardcore fan like me. Now ask me how many times I've watched Solo: Zero. Why? Is it because the reviews got me scared? Is it because it's bombing? Nah, there's a truckers strike going on around here and my work took the best out of my time this week, because I had accumulated stuff from THE OTHER WEEKS I was hanging around watching Infinity War and Deadpool 2.

What should have happened: let Deadpool 2 rule August or even September. Let Solo rule December like ALL THE STAR WARS FILM WOULD if Lucasfilm wouldn't be so incredibly bipolar about it. General audiences are creatures of habit, but even more so, creatures that need time to invest on event cinema. What we are experiencing right now isn't superhero fatigue or Star Wars fatigue. It's event fatigue. And it was quite easy to predict that one, both Fox and Lucasfilm screwed up this one, big time. And I would be surprised if things don't change in the Lucasfilm Ranch after this one. 

1 minute ago, Sam said:

IW

Fri: 4M

Sat: 6.2M (+55%)

Sun: 5.9M (-5%)

Mon: 4.9M(-17%)

Total: 16.1M 3-day (-45%)/21M 4-day (-29%)

Passing TLJ by Sunday, and TA by Monday for #5 Dom. 

I think it'll have a similar trajectory of Civil War, so $19m 4-day. Hopefully you are correct tho. 

• Like 1