Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

I wish that JWFK would be released in NA the same time as most of the world is getting now that Han Solo is doing underwhelming numbers and since this from hearing early reactions will Ben the best JP Sequel.

Yeah. Then it could have taken advantage of Father’s Day. Unfortunately they probably thought domestically they shouldn’t be too close to Solo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Yeah. Then it could have taken advantage of Father’s Day. Unfortunately they probably thought domestically they shouldn’t be too close to Solo

What sucks about it is tying to avoid spoilers.

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's a lock to make over a billion. People who think that it isn't are letting their dislike of the last movie get in the way of reality.

Yeah, in a sense JW is like Universal's other tentpole franchise: Fast and Furious. These films may fall domestically, but OS will carry them over $1 billion WW easily thanks to China. 

I'm gonna be very honest...

DH2 did $961m OS...$60m without China...

Anyone else frustrated that it never hit $1b OS? It was a franchise that gave so much happiness and hope to people...it breaks my heart it never did

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Just think of how pissed you'd be if they took everything you love about Harry Potter and turned it upside down.

the better potter stans wouldn’t mind as long as they kept churning out good stuff. movies shouldn't be treated as fanfiction.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

By that definition, every movie, even something like TFA or Infinity War, could have been a fluke. Fact is, JW wasnt, quite the opposite :lol:

Fallen Kingdom needs to do very significant business for JW to not be a fluke.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Anyone else frustrated that it never hit $1b OS? It was a franchise that gave so much happiness and hope to people...it breaks my heart it never did

Yeah it keeps me awake every night.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Eastwood47 said:

I checked the first Deadpool to see how it compared on it's sophomore weekend and I was surprised to see it dropped 57.5%. So if the sequel can get relatively close to that, then I think it would be fair to say it's operating within normal expectations. I've seen it twice and felt it was even better the second time. I'm not getting the notion it doesn't have re-watchability. If those numbers stay somewhat depressed we might have to give some of it to the Memorial weekend that is soft on movies. Plus you have the NBA playoffs which have been epic this year. I just didn't catch any measurable loss of interest in the franchise or the exit polls from audience members who rated the new movie. I definitely want a trilogy. 

DP1 dropped from a double holiday inflated o/w.  DP2 is dropping on a holiday w/e

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noctis said:

When they bring them back for the sequel it will

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It would have been nice to see it be the first non-Cameron film to break $1 billion OS instead of Furious 7. Definitely felt like the bigger event worldwide.

11 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

Almost 9pm and no Sat numbers from Deadline :redcapes:

I'm telling you, it's because it's such an undeniable failure that they're having a hard time figuring out how to spin it positively. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is trying to get ahead of the narrative and minimize press on how bad it's doing. I think they want no marketing of any kind and are really hoping that the only people talking about it are the people who actually go see it. Like I said before, it'd explain the massive budget (assuming deadline is correct, which is questionable) and the lack of marketing. 

At some point they realized it was going to be a shitshow and they said to themselves "well, we can either spend a little extra with ron howard finishing, then move forward with marketing as usual and hope that people like whatever we can salvage....OR we can slash the marketing budget by 75 percent and divert those funds to production to make a better final product. If we do that, the fanbase may be big enough that word of mouth markets it instead, and as a bonus now we have a better movie which means better long term profit"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

DP1 dropped from a double holiday inflated o/w.  DP2 is dropping on a holiday w/e

But it's been my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), that Memorial weekend is traditionally bad for films. So would that be one instance where a holiday weekend hurts a tally? 

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think FK has a really good dom release date.

I2 will have done 7 days worth of dom by the time FK releases (dory's 1st week was 44% of it's total).

Then the 2nd weekend has The Hustle, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Uncle Drew and I2's 3rd weekend. Great for FK.

3rd weekend has a biggie in AMW. But having an 80-90 opener in 3rd weekend in middle of summer is fair. JW had IO's ow in it's 2nd weekend.

4th weekend Skyscraper, HT3 and AMW's 2nd weekend. This weekend's crowded compared to the numbers FK will put in this weekend.

5th weekend Equalizer and Mamma Mia 2. Some breathing room to recover from previous weekend.

6th weekend will have a big ow in MI6 but by this time FK's weekend will be sub-10m (JW itself was 11.5m).

Edited by A2k Raptor

Throwing in a guess thinking Rth will grace us soon: 25.5

55% of RO's Sat will be 25.5 and +18.6% from true Fri of 21.5

35.6+25.5+23.5+18.8=84.6/103.4 using -8%/-20% Sun/Mon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

i think  most of us were just commenting on her overall acting abilities actually

Remember the shortlist of actresses for the female lead? They were pretty much all ethnically diverse. Everyone wanted Tessa Thompson.

They ended up going for Clarke instead, yet another white British gal who wasn't on the list.

Just now, Jay Beezy said:

Remember the shortlist of actresses for the female lead? They were pretty much all ethnically diverse. Everyone wanted Tessa Thompson.

They ended up going for Clarke instead, yet another white British gal who wasn't on the list.

I was pissed off about that but now I'm happy that she got the role because it saved actresses that I actually like from playing in a big flop.

• Like 3