Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

You don’t have to be white (I’m not) to notice that Rey is a boring character with no arc, Rose was a boring character with terrible dialogue that had  way too much screen time , and the Admiral subplot was clearly some kind of lecture to people who didn’t vote for Hillary Clinton 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I hope all of the Star Wars movies flop from here on out so that I don't have to deal with this damn fanbase anymore.

I hope after Episode 9, the films go on a break...

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

You don’t have to be white (I’m not) to notice that Rey is a boring character with no arc, Rose was a boring character with terrible dialogue that had  way too much screen time , and the Admiral subplot was clearly some kind of lecture to people who didn’t vote for Hillary Clinton 

Motherfucker this movie was made before the election :apocalypse: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am Indian, and I know a lot of fellow Indians and minorities and females such as colleagues, cousins and my sister who all had issues with TLJ.

So when I hear the accusation that most people who disliked TLJ are white basement dwellers and mostly hated it for sexist or racist reasons, I dont buy it because those idiots were the same ones who hated TFA and RO and no real effect on the overall audience reaction to the film. So where are you guys basing this narrative on? Its a nonsense argument that you guys repeat endlessly.

The reality which I find more likely is some people who watched TLJ just did not like the pacing, some of the characterization and the storyline.

Exactly there's a real bad and false narrative going on here.  I liked TFA just fine, but TLJ was a giant fail by comparison.  Same characters basically.  The problem is how they were characterized and written.

This is not a left/right issue.  I'm liberal, many of my friends are liberal.  They see it the same way as I do.  TLJ was bad because... its poorly written.  Badly plotted, baffling editing choices, inconsistent characters from TFA to TLJ... it's all about the writing and how they were handled.  At least JJ was much better at handling characters, but TLJ put the story and characters started in TFA and put them into a dead end.  There's nowhere interesting for the 3rd act to go!  No reason to tune in to anything they're doing with Star Wars anymore.

So if you want to understand why Solo is now flopping, that's it.  At least for me and everyone I know.  Buncha elite liberals and Hillary voters, Obama supporters.  How dare us for properly recognizing bad writing.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif?fit=40

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

How was RO an obvious attempt? By sticking more token characters in unmemorable roles? Tokenism doesn't work abroad.

Look at Coco. That movie was not token and it blew the lid off Chinese and Mexican boxoffice because it respected Mexican culture while China related to values in Mexican culture that are similar to theirs.

If sticking a Mexican into the movie as another generic Han wannabe (after Han Wannabe jacketed Poe and Finn) and relegating a Chinese superstar to playing a tertiary Shaolin Monk Stereotype is their attempt to attract those markets, than they deserve to flop. It's lazy af and those markets did right to ignore that shit.  

Yes exactly it is certainly not for artistic reason they put a Chinese superstar to play a tertiary Shaolin Monk and I am not sure I remember what the other Chinese movie star was playing, but how was it not an obvious attempt to appeal to the China market ?

Why do you add was it well done or not in my statement ? And yes Tokenism often work well abroad look, it boosted Magnificent 7 in South Korea for example, there is a long list of small role by big local star helping in the market.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

So when I hear the accusation that most people who disliked TLJ are white basement dwellers and mostly hated it for sexist or racist reasons, I dont buy it

Ain’t no one saying “most”.

I said that there’s a shockingly high amount, which is too high for me. That’s it.

i don’t think anyone here said “most”.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Motherfucker this movie was made before the election :apocalypse: 

you have to admit it was pretty annoying when laura dern told everyone to "Pokemon Go to the resistance base on Crait!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Just now, Water Bottle said:

So it's because she's Asian even though you say it isn't? I don't see what "identity politics" has to do with anything on why she's a shitty character. Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't think if they casted a random white actor, it would make a big difference? Cause I don't see it. 

There is no reverse causality in my argument.

I will make an infographic for you so you don't get confused.

IDENTITY POLITICS ----cause----> MINORITY

IDENTITY POLITICS ----cause----> SHIT WRITING

I don't care about the first. I care about the second. Your fixation that I care about the first, as if it undermines my character, and my opinion, is just mind bongling. At this point I think you're trolling me.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I hope all of the Star Wars movies flop from here on out so that I don't have to deal with this damn fanbase anymore.

I have zero investment in these films and reading this thread has been exhausting 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

nah the sexists and racists who hated on TFA also hated TLJ. For the record, most people who didn't like TFA but liked TLJ are not racist or sexist in any way (and vice versa). Some people just didn't like TFA because they thought the plot was too much of a retread of ANH and other legitimate criticisms.

Calm down water.

i'm being completely calm and civil lol. moving on... that's untrue.

32 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No sensible person had an issue with Finn in TFA, it was that his character was rather nerfed in TLJ but instead of taking it as a critique of the film, people turn that around into a sexism or racism issue.

see this is where i'm confused. i hated finn's role in tlj. because the movie was racist. i hated rey's role in tlj. because the movie was misogynistic. no one is calling me racist or sexist for that because in criticizing their roles i'm being ANTI-racist and ANTI-sexist. and i think this applies widely. during tfa, like you said, there was no real big valid reason to criticize finn, but plenty of racist people hated on him just for being black. in my experience those people didn't have the same level of hate for tlj because there just straight up wasn't a lot of finn for them to complain about. meanwhile us finn FANS are mad about the movie sidelining him. so you appear to be on my side, and i'm the crazy sjw here so i don't see the truth in this narrative that "people turn that around into a sexism or racism issue". as far as i'm concerned hating tlj doesn't make you racist/sexist, it makes you anti-racist/anti-sexist. i mean obviously there's also people who hate tlj just for having women, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely misogynistic movie as somehow being progressive wrt gender. obviously there's also still people who hate tlj just for having a black guy, but i really think that's overblown and the bigger issue here is that people are presenting an extremely racist movie as somehow being progressive wrt to race. just because a small amount of extremists exist that hate black/female characters whether they're big or small roles doesn't mean that a racist/sexist movie isn't racist/sexist because those extremists hate it. water bottle this should explain what i mean, thanks lordmandeep for the jumping off point

3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

The comeback nostalgia factor. JW2 won’t have that.  

Not sure how something without fans can have a strong nostalgia at the same time like this, sound really counter intutive.

Edited by Barnack

I just want to dial it back for a second and tell everyone they should check out @Daxtreme completely awesome top fights of all time thread.  He's put a lot of work into it and it totally kicks ass.  Check it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's super cool that i've never met a person who'd say stuff like "SJWs" or "identity politics" or stuff like that in real life. could you imagine hearing those phrases, like actually spoken out loud by someone who meant it, and not immediately trying to cut your own ears off? SO embarrassing. 

Thought I'd taken a hard right turn to the cesspools of Reddit for a second and had to double check I was on BOT seeing those terms littering this thread.

But yeah, just seeing them written is straight up laughable and I can't imagine keeping a straight face if I heard them uttered in real life. Though, and I think it was this thread, the brief "soyboy" discussion earlier reminded me that the first time I ever heard that I thought it was referring to a new Starbucks craze. Wish I never learned the actual meaning of that one and could've lived in ignorance.

as a minority (ginger) it's totally cool that i can criticise the new star wars characters without being racist too btw and so i gotta tell you guys bb8 is annoying. got nothing on r2 and c3po (the only couple in star wars that actually has chemistry btw)

20 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Doesn't seem particularly faint at all.  I imagine the goal of most film makers is to make movies that people enjoy.

Death Race was a crowd pleaser. So was Saw III. It's a very wide, low bar. Most movies are crowd pleasers (Cinemascore B or higher). I think most directors want more than that, especially one qualified to direct a Star Wars entry.

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

Why didn't Poe do an epic clapback on Space Twitter to re-establish his authority? Johnson really lost his touch.

This is a foreign language to me.  WTF does this mean?  What's a clapback?