Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

what if Han's love life involves him debating The Last Jedi with that girl who raises her hands in class.

She probably wouldn’t be smart enough to appreciate it :sparta: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

This. Films like Ghostbusters 16 or Oceans 8 woudnt receive this "backlash" if they were original films/concepts. Basically rebooting a series with a gender swap as a gimmick is just asking for controversy. And its not helping anyone, really.

I want something like a female James Bond/more action films/franchises with females as the lead characters. But i expect creativity from Hollywood and not just "Hey its Ghostbusters, but now its with women!". Because that incredibly lazy.

That a bit unfair too and miss a bit of the picture.

Rebooting a series is so common that it is a very minor part of why those movie get backlash, there is stand to make about stop making star wars 10 marvel 20, Alien 7, predator reboot, Creed 2, etc... movies and created new stuff for sure. When Rocky is re imagined / restarted with someone else it is ok because he is a men but would be bad if it is a woman ? When Ocean is rebooted it was ok when they rebooted the franchise with Clooney/Pitt with a male crew but not with Blanchett/Bullock with a female crew ? That distinction is becoming really strange.

But being ok with men base products to redo and make sequels from the giant library of title from the past they have but female one should be limited to new stuff (or the more limited library of female starring franchise) would put them at a big disadvantage in today world were it is so hard to spend that giant money without any IP to reassure investor.

It would be ideal obviously if they come up with new stuff more often, but there is a high fear reality.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Whether she was written well or not, nobody should be complaining that she was Asian! 

I think that it works like this. if a useless character is white especially white male people say "that useless character has no business in the movie, why the fuck is he in the movie?" because there's no justification for uselessness. However, because the media is talking so much about representation, when a useless character is a minority or a woman, people say "this useless character is in the movie only to check diversity boxes/pander to _______audience/score brownie points with ______" because they think that explains why he/she is in the movie that really doesn't need that character. It's media hype about diversity that created this otherwise people would just say "useless af character" no matter who played them. many movies try to get good PR by boasting about representation as if they pioneered it. Which is why it's refreshing when we have a diverse movies such as Jumanji and nobody mentions diversity either positively or negatively because the movie treats it as something normal, not something that they should especially point out to get good press. 

• Like 4

I always find it funny when I hear right wingers whining about TLJ when some of my biggest complaints with it come from a left wing perspective.  TLJ paid every minority character dust.

Finn?  Completely pointless to the plot.  Constantly playing the buffoon.

Poe? Character arc completely botched at the end- to the point where TLJ is almost a character assassination.  He commits mutiny, and never redeems himself.  How is anyone around him supposed to trust him with anything?

Rose?  Completely pointless as well.  Clearly only there to be a love interest to Finn, because god forbid Rey end up with a black guy, or leave open the possibility that Finn and Poe might have something.

But yeah, the hate for TLJ is all angry neckbeards. /s

16 minutes ago, YLF said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Omg. Every time I see the trailer it comes off as one big gimmick. It might've worked for the first installment but who is actually excited to see that a second time?

I feel the same way. The trailer played like a gimmick comedy. But maybe that's what they're shooting for, gimmick comedies can be a lot of fun if done well.

• Like 1

my impression of sw films post 2000 with good, mixed and bad reception. the fan base is damn tolerant because of the impact of and love for ep 4,5,6.

ep 1

ep 2

ep 3

tfa

ro

tlj

solo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

There have been bad ass women characters in the movies for ages and everybody took them for granted and didn’t really need to bring “politics” , the public just enjoyed the films. I don’t  remember even the Reagan-era movie goers (a time when we had anti-communist propaganda blockbuster films , anti-Islamic/pro-jewish ones e.t.c) having a problem with strong female leads. Suddenly in 2018 if you  criticize a film starring a woman you are a bigot, an alt-right , a right winger and whatever weird terms Americans have discovered. 

Gone with the wind for example, does not just have a woman has the sole lead and an extremely strong character that actively push feminist put also the movie itself is violently feminist, biggest movie of all time at the box office, the favorite movie of Americans still today.

No I do not think that you are automatically called a bigot if you critics anything, many of the biggest podcast critics didn't like Ghostbuster 2016 without having been called anything (say filmspotting or filmcast podcast all of the people on those 2 gave them a negative review, never been called anything by anyone), I do not think I was ever called anything when a criticized movies made or starring women myself either....

I think the way the critics is made (before or after having seen the movie being a big factor for example) and writing, choice of word and so on matter here.

Edited by Barnack

18 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Whether she was written well or not, nobody should be complaining that she was Asian! 

I don't think anyone is. I do see a few people complaining she felt shoehorned in (maybe, maybe not) due to Rian wanting more representation, but that's not exactly the same thing. It's just a poor way of expressing that she's a bad character.

2 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Rose?  Completely pointless as well.  Clearly only there to be a love interest to Finn, because god forbid Rey end up with a black guy,

DoubleToasted called that shit out. Another movie did the same thing recently too.

Its mad seeing how things are in regards to this aspect. Back when Will Smith’s Hitch came out the studio only cast Eva Mendes because they couldn’t have two black people fall in love.

jj's deleted episode 8 that lives in my heart > r1 > tpm > tfa > rots > anh > aotc > rotj > esb >>>>>>>>>>>> licking movie theater floor >>>>>>>>>>> tlj

haven't seen solo yet but it could really end up anywhere tbh!

22 minutes ago, YLF said:

I wholeheartedly agree. Omg. Every time I see the trailer it comes off as one big gimmick. It might've worked for the first installment but who is actually excited to see that a second time?

You mean the trailer that has a very likeable leading star , Rudd, a charismatic female lead, Lilly, a great comedic supporting cast with Michael Pena leading the charge, some great veteran actors like Michael Douglas and Laurence fishburn (and we know Michelle pfeifer is in there too) with good jokes and great action scenes and a good villain and presents the movie as the perfect summer film ?

Yeah I can’t imagine who would want to watch that , except like a big sized portion of the GA going beyond just the MCU hardcore. This will surprise at the box office...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, water said:

jj's deleted episode 8 that lives in my heart > r1 > tpm > tfa > rots > anh > aotc > rotj > esb >>>>>>>>>>>> licking movie theater floor >>>>>>>>>>> tlj

haven't seen solo yet but it could really end up anywhere tbh!

I think Solo might deserve a special ranking:  Doesn't matter.