Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

IMO, the biggest story is OS collapse in traditionally SW markets. We knew that Asia minus Japan and LA were lost but horrid results across Europe and Oz cannot be swept under the rug or contributed to American alt-right or whatever the latest excuse for this debacle is in the media. SW brand failed to attract new markets and now dependency on old markets is backfiring cause they are connecting less and less.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

The amount of fake news, lies and mistruths told by the media about the box office and buzz for Solo before release really shows the lack of credibility they have.

It was obvious there was a corporate or higher interest to promote this film than an objective observation of the reality. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

The amount of fake news, lies and mistruths told by the media about the box office and buzz for Solo before release is why I just with my gut. 

This part from Deadline's article is just so funny now.

After the hoopla over a change-up in directors, Disney/Lucasfilm’s spinoff Solo: A Star Wars Story is finally opening, and its box office potential should not be dismissed. Right now, domestic projections over the four-day Memorial Day holiday are ranging from $135 million-$170 million, with overseas projected at $150M-$170M. On the low end, that’s a $285M worldwide start, though that figure could range as high as $340M.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, the biggest story is OS collapse in traditionally SW markets. We knew that Asia minus Japan and LA were lost but horrid results across Europe and Oz cannot be swept under the rug or contributed to American alt-right or whatever the latest excuse for this debacle is in the media. SW brand failed to attract new markets and now dependency on old markets is backfiring cause they are connecting less and less.  

Alt-right cant be blamed for anything - even in the USA. If that were so powerful black panther would have been a huge BOMB. Its a shitty excuse to cover up the fact that a movie is bad and no one cares to watch it.  Star wars just isnt a powerful brand anymore. Thats the only truth. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Who at Disney pissed gitesh off?

Oh FFS! Are we now going to hear about Cursed Memorial Day for the movie that did CATASTOPHICALLY OS where there's no Memorial Day? How the fuck that works? Oh, I see, LF is sweeping OS debacle under the rug cause they have no excuses for that. Now it's all about why it bombed domestically and, of course, release date - THAT THEY PICKED! - is to blame. They aren't learning anything from this fiasco, are they? 

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Alt-right cant be blamed for anything - even in the USA. If that were so powerful black panther would have been a huge BOMB. Its a shitty excus to cover up the fact that a movie is bad and no one cares to watch it.  Star wars just isnt a powerful brand anymore. Thats the only truth. 

Have you even seen it? The movie isn't bad.

I do love this forum but the one thing I hate with a passion is people's tendency to make comments on movies without actually going to see them. If you're not going to get off your ass, have a mind of your own and go see it, then STFU (about the movie, not box office).

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Are you guys really just figuring out that the trades are just PR outlets for the studios?

Fake news

But no joke, news reporting around such things, social media, youtubers and such is full of so many lies its hilarious. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, JB33 said:

Have you even seen it? The movie isn't bad.

I do love this forum but the one thing I hate with a passion is people's tendency to make comments on movies without actually going to see them.

Perhaps so but you seem to forget that the Star Wars brand is heavily damaged. They have lost the trust of the GA - just like the DCEU did. It has nothing to do with the alt-right. 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Oh FFS! Are we now going to hear about Cursed Memorial Day for the movie that did CATASTOPHICALLY OS where there's no Memorial Day? How the fuck that works? Oh, I see, LF is sweeping OS debacle under the rug cause they have no excuses for that. Now it's all about why it bombed domestically and, of course, release date - THAT THEY PICKED! - is to blame. They aren't learning anything from this fiasco, are they? 

It was Deadpool 2's fault too. Don't forget that. Ya know the movie that all but collapsed it's second weekend was also a factor for Solo bombing. Disney will go through every excuse they can find before admitting that they released a film that nobody asked for and to make matters worse released a meh movie. In other words they'll blame everything but the product that they delivered. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Alt-right cant be blamed for anything - even in the USA. If that were so powerful black panther would have been a huge BOMB. Its a shitty excuse to cover up the fact that a movie is bad and no one cares to watch it.  Star wars just isnt a powerful brand anymore. Thats the only truth. 

Haven't you heard? Cursed Memorial Day is the new Alt-Right now. Alt Right sunk TLJ (including OS) and Cursed Memorial Day sunk Solo (including OS). Totally computes. :hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Perhaps so but you seem to forget that the Star Wars brand is heavily damaged. They have lost the trust of the GA - just like the DCEU did. It has nothing to do with the alt-right. 

I'm not disagreeing with that stuff. The movie bombed spectacularly and there's no excuse. I'm referring to the movie itself.

20 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Indirectly it can. Solo is a brash figure, and very much an American in attitude, which is why he is popular there. Thats not popular right now outside the US. Speaking with others, its clear that Solo was never the popular figure here (the UK) he was in the US, thats only going to be even more true of Europe.

11 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I think it might be wise to delay Episode 9's release for a year. Have it in December 2020. That way it can give the audience a momentary break.

Uhmmm honey, December 2020 is Avatar's spot.

34 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Don't worry, Cameron will delay it for like 3 years or something, then say he has ideas for Avatar 5-7

We're a 100 days into shooting with 930 so days to go, how can this miss 2020?

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 1