Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

old-fashioned-chocolate-fudge-recipe_172

550px-Rico_(1).png

I know it’s easy to pile on the movie, but it needs no fudging to get over 100M 4-day. Just Memorial Day standard drop get it comfortably over the mark

(not that it’s suddenly a great number, but in this case, the fudging implication is not accurate and unnecessary) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

Avengers: Infinity War grossed an estimated $21.25M over the 4-day weekend. Estimated total gross through Monday is $626.44M. Updated 3-day weekend estimate is $17.44M.

RTH was right again...of course!

So a 6.8 Sunday and they think it's going to drop 44%  to a 3.81 Monday ... on MD when the previous 3 years a MCU movie has dropped 17-19%

WTF is with Disney and AIW estimates? 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

So a 6.8 Sunday and they think it's going to drop 44%  to a 3.81 Monday ... on MD when the previous 3 years a MCU movie has dropped 17-19%

WTF is with Disney and AIW estimates? 

They're trying to take away from AIW and give to Solo.

• Disbelief 1

4 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

I don't think TLJ will cause any financial problems for IX.  Revenge of the Sith survived Clones.  Rogue One did well.  the selling point has always been Vader IMO.  The prequels, TLJ and TFA all had an up-tempo to them with spectacle and epicness.  the prequels succeeded too with 3 year gaps*

The prequels went off of the Vader storyline and went with Obi-Wan's character.  Rogue One featured Vader and the events in between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.  Han Solo was brought back for TFA, added to the Vader storyline and then died.  The Last Jedi continued the Star Wars story momentum while burning down the franchise.  Solo must have gone with the route that The Wolverine went with when they went smaller with the characters and scope.  There are characters to be introduced and the Han Solo backstory can be heard through the dialogue of the original trilogy just like the prequels and Rogue One reflected.  It is traditional for the Star Wars franchise to tell these characters in a film and usually new films cover anything hinted at from the original trilogy of the 70s and 80s.  I noticed with Clone Wars that they can retell things from films or other episodes in brief flashbacks and maybe Han Solo has appeared in some of that stuff before too, I don't know.  Solo: Star Wars should still make its budget back and could do well in Japan adding another 200 million overseas.

5 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

apart from the fact it's split into two films and we haven't seen the second part yet, it seems like IW is pretty much the same as all the others.

First off, if you’re pulling the “1/2” story card...you realize then considering this is a serialized shared universe telling the same broad overarching story, IW then is part 18 with A4 being part 19 of you think about it like that. IW is a complete story or chapter as much as TWS or Avengers 1 And so forth and nobody said about those “oh they’re only one chapter.” I mean come on.

And second, is this pulling another card the ole “those movies are all the same!” meme? Have a double feature of Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok and tell me those movies are duplicates. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's too bad about Solo. Could it be that a huge reason for this is the competition? The target audience is the same as the ones for DP 2 and IW, and they opened just 1 and 4 weeks ago with good reviews. I'm pretty sure the majority of people don't go to the cinema 3 times a month. I also think the reason for DP2 relatively lower than expected numbers is IW. Also, I think that they didn't promote Solo as well as they could have. They started too late and the promotion was lackluster. Something like a Solo movie could have been promoted as an event movie IMO..

• Thanks 1