Water Bottle

*SPOILER* SOLO A StAR WaRS StorY *SPOILER THREAD* *SPOILERS IN HERE*

• Community Manager

Too much visual noise and the worst Star Wars score drags down an otherwise fun if largely vanilla Star Wars adventure. It feels like a skippable filler entry.

Darth Maul appearance was lame and a bad choice to have him in it. I get he's brought back to life in the cartoons but how much of the GA will know this? Will people know the cartoon storylines 50 years in the future? 

The female lead needed better character development. What did she want? Who knows and that is the problem. 

The marauders getting the fuel and then they are like "you just started the rebellion Han Solo" is like....fuck off movie. You forced it and its so unnecessary. 

The universe keeps feeling smaller. Unnecessary movie. 

B

im sure @Porthos is disappointed in me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Too much visual noise and the worst Star Wars score drags down an otherwise fun if largely vanilla Star Wars adventure. It feels like a skippable filler entry.

***** SNIP******

The universe keeps feeling smaller. Unnecessary movie. 

B

A decent Lordmandeep impression, but I'm not quite sure it lands.  Missing a couple smilies for one.  Got the sentence structure down though, so thumbs up for that.

A good first effort, but maybe a little more work needed to truly replicate his style.  Let's say 7.75/10, but shows potential. 

----

Sorry, that review followed by the infamous "B" grade was too easy to pass up.  Sorry you didn't enjoy it more, though glad you liked what you did. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Hmm not sure if we are speaking about the same scene, I mean that one

Yes I know exactly which one you meant.

It was a joke because thise scene was changed for the special edition and I'm a smug who like the original better.

Here it is if you are interested (3:33) :

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
18 hours ago, Lucas said:

What I'm on about is my friend hasn't seen the Star Wars prequels because she's not interested in them. She's seen the rest and wanted to see this movie because she likes Han Solo and of course, it's a stand alone spin off movie. Meaning you shouldn't need any prior knowledge in order to get it. Once that Darth Maul scene came up though, she was really confused and had no idea what it meant or what it's about. The film was clearly playing it like you were supposed to know who that is, but this isn't a character who's been seen on the big screen since The Phantom Menace in 1999.

The problem with it is it serves absolutely no purpose to the movie itself and completely relies on the audience's knowledge of other films in order for it to mean anything.

And how does Infinity War fit into this? I haven't said if I liked that movie. I do however know plenty of people who hasn't seen all the MCU movies but still understood the movie because it treats these things well enough for it to stand on its own for the most part. For example you don't need to know who the Red Skull is because it doesn't matter to the movie, you won't react to it if you don't know who it is. With Darth Maul, the scene is about that reveal.

EDIT: Wait what? You do know the emperor was in the original cut of Empire as well right? The movie released 19 years before the first prequel even came out? You hear about the emperor multiple times in the original movie and in Empire leading up to that moment, you then finally see him in Return of the Jedi. You absolutely do not need to have seen movies that hadn't even come out by that point to get it.

Oh no she didn't get who Darth Maul was. I'm guessing she was also lost when Han Solo said he did the Kessel run in 12 parsecs in ANH. Good thing they made this movie so now she knows. But man now people who see ANH without seeing Solo aren't going to know that reference. Why can't ANH stand on its own without having any prior knowledge?

(Just pointing out this is kinda a ridiculous position to take for a franchise film. Like if you miss some franchise movies you can't expect future franchise movies to never reference them and shit. That's insane. Franchise movies build their story, their characters, their references based on what happened before.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s been 24 hours.... 

Yep. It’s gone. I cannot remember this movie, specifically the second act. Couldn’t tell you what happened there.

That's not healthy. You should see a doctor.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, RascarCapat said:

Yes I know exactly which one you meant.

It was a joke because thise scene was changed for the special edition and I'm a smug who like the original better.

Ahhh, haven't seen that for a while.

I forgot totally that detail.

My problem is, I use the English words that I do know or think to know, but sometimes I do not get it right and am aware of it. As such I concentrate more on, there seem to be a misunderstanding... than what the detail is even about. I also miss sarcasm,... for the same reason. :lol:

Other users often use terms I am less or not familiar with, so it is for me often harder to understand the other than to write. Depends on...

I'd like to watch the unchanged versions again too, especially to see what I did forgot and so on

• Like 1

Saw Solo this morning in 3D.  It barely gets by and maybe it doesn't, it's that close I still haven't made up my mind.

Dots are connected, and there is some genuine excitement, but somehow it is soulless. I guess my memory of a younger solo is too tied to the 1970s. The only solo i want to see now is the old man we saw in TFA a couple years ago. This film is technically correct in a lot of ways, with some appealing performances, but a lot of it fell flat for me.

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, AJG said:

You tell me what happens in the second act.

Sure. They go to the dude who owns a yacht Han Solo discovers the Corellian girl is with him they decide that they will rob unrefined hyperfuel so they have to go a mine but they can't just go there they have to make the kessel run they manage to do it fine then the robot starts a revolution as they steal the unrefined fuel they manage to get away but then they have to escape an Imperial ship which means going through uncharted territory of the Kessel run which they do and they deliver the unrefined ore. that's pretty much the second act.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Sure. They go to the dude who owns a yacht Han Solo discovers the Corellian girl is with him they decide that they will rob unrefined hyperfuel so they have to go a mine but they can't just go there they have to make the kessel run they manage to do it fine then the robot starts a revolution as they steal the unrefined fuel they manage to get away but then they have to escape an Imperial ship which means going through uncharted territory of the Kessel run which they do and they deliver the unrefined ore. that's pretty much the second act.

There was a yacht? The glowing blue stuff was hyperfuel?

HYPERFUEL?

UNOBTANIUM?

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, AJG said:

There was a yacht? The glowing blue stuff was hyperfuel?

HYPERFUEL?

UNOBTANIUM?

It was a space yacht ship or something. Yes the glowing blue stuff was hyperfuel, I think (I had some trouble a few times with the dialogue). @Porthos would know for sure.

But as you can see my memory works fine. :) I can still remember Overboard after all and it was worse movie than Solo and I saw it two days ago. 

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It was a space yacht ship or something. Yes the glowing blue stuff was hyperfuel, I think (I had some trouble a few times with the dialogue). @Porthos would know for sure.

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

It was a space yacht ship or something. Yes the glowing blue stuff was hyperfuel

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

hyperfuel

Man, I never remember technical names for things like that. :lol:  At least not until I've seen something a few times. But hyperfuel works as good for a shorthand as any as that's pretty much what it was.

• Like 1

I liked the movie. Maybe Han isn't as cynical as I'd like. And it drags a bit. The ending teases sequels I'll doubt we'll ever see. And Darth maul coming back was weird. The guys I saw it with didn't actually think it was Darth Maul, cause he was dead. So I explained he lived. So yeah. Solid B flick.

I think I'll be saying bye now. to all the people I enjoyed talking to, it's been a blast. To everyone else...be well and healthy and may you find whatever it is that will make you happy. 

Maybe I'll see ya around.

• Sad 5

I loved it! Had a lot of fun, though admittedly I'm exactly the target audience here. I love the expanding and world building these spinoffs do. Thought the performances were great - Alden nailed it! - and like with ROGUE ONE, I really dug the visual tone.

That being said, the Darth Maul scene is going to be really jarring for anyone not familiar with the expanded material like the cartoons and comics. As far as the movie going audience is concerned, that guy's dead. A really awkward attempt at an Easter egg, that's for sure.

• Like 4

I like the appearance of Maul. For a fan like myself who enjoyed the Clone Wars show it was a cool connection. Besides, isn’t that what a lot of fans who enjoy all the books/comics/animated shows been asking for? More connections in the live action movies to those other mediums?  

• Like 1

:sarah:was great, hopefully she won't get any blame if this flops.

They didn't explain anything about her character which was weird and a bit annoying, but a spin-off about her would be more interesting than making her the villain in a Solo 2.

But neither will probably happen now... :jeb!:

• Like 2