CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Hmm. You missed his low key shade at the end.

Commenting how small gotg2 OW was.

What shade? There was no shade. And even if there was, grow some thick skin.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Assume the preview number will end up somewhere between $13M and $14M. Not too shabby. The movie itself disappointed me. There are some fun bits and a few smiles but overall it feels pretty stale. Surprisingly devoid of any real majesty, suspense or sweep. It is fun in a Poseidon Rex, Raptor Ranch kind of way I guess. Will say opening sequence is pretty nifty. A shame that it's easily high point too.

Still, should make something around $350M DOM.

350 m DOM?

What's your OW prediction?

• Haha 1

Damn, FK is not looking good. At the end should be a big cash cow ($115M-$125M/$280M-$350M/$1.05B-$1.2B) but it’s definitely a bad drop from the first.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Honestly, laughing my ass off that this inexplicably got an early weekend thread when last week, people were asking for one and mods were outright saying we didn’t need it

the legacy of tele’s anti-animation bias lives on

I don't think we said we didn't need it (tbf we didn't need this one either).

What did happen was that we were all too lazy to put one together. JW only got one because of CJohn's fanfic thing.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

You must be amazing to talk to. So much depth.

Did my attempted humour anger you in any way? Or are you just naturally a bellend?

Edited by Jessie

Again this is just like TLJ. This will make good money, above billion. At budget of only $180m. That's very good.

It's the drop from first, which I think is disappointing. Especially since, JW performed good in every department, huge number, crazy legs. 

Of course, I am saying this with early preview numbers. It could change, and maybe this does $150m ow. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

350 m DOM?

What's your OW prediction?

With those previews? Previews I expect to be closer to $14M when updated? I'm thinking $135M+ and then with summer days it should hold up fine. Very little competition next weekend and will get a nice boost from 4th of July, etc.

Probably should've said $325M.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Premium George said:

Again this is just like TLJ. This will make good money, above billion. At budget of only $180m. That's very good.

It's the drop from first, which I think is disappointing. Especially since, JW performed good in every department, huge number, crazy legs. 

Of course, I am saying this with early preview numbers. It could change, and maybe this does $150m ow. 

Yeh I think exchange rate, World Cup, reviews all working against it internationally to some extent. 

US some of the factors could be reviews, delay and Incredibles 2. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

With those previews? Previews I expect to be closer to $14M when updated? I'm thinking $135M+ and then with summer days it should hold up fine. Very little competition next weekend and will get a nice boost from 4th of July, etc.

Probably should've said $325M.

My prediction is close to this. A good number but a big drop from the previous one.

lol I have just checked. I also overpredicted it. 150 M / 400 M.

My derby is 126 M.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Jurassic World was well-received but it's not a movie that had much of a shelf life beyond 2015 and Fallen Kingdom never looked like anything special (the "dinosaurs are brought here" premise was already done in The Lost World 21 years ago). Plus the previous movie largely banked on the nostalgia for the 1993 movie, and the nostalgia card only works for one film. A huge drop-off feels completely unsurprising to me, even if it's still on track to make serious bank.

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why are ppl predicting 350+ DOM?

3x legs?

you know not everyone shares your opinion right?

If it has same preview:Weekend ratio as Jurassic World, thats a 135M opening. Which seems reasonable. Only 2.59x legs to 350M is not particularly hard. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jurassic World was well-received but it's not a movie that had much of a shelf life beyond 2015 and Fallen Kingdom never looked like anything special (the "dinosaurs are brought here" premise was already done in The Lost World 21 years ago). Plus the previous movie largely banked on the nostalgia for the 1993 movie, and the nostalgia card only works for one film. A huge drop-off feels completely unsurprising to me, even if it's still on track to make serious bank.

So I guess this and TLJ will teach us that in 25 years when Marvel brings back 80 year old RDJ for Avengers 12 to expect a huge number and then a massive drop off for the sequel.