baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

But saying that Disney won’t endure a writedown due to Star Wars merchandising is foolish. That’s an excuse up there with “the dog ate my homework”.  First, franchise pics that bomb don’t yield toy sales, especially in this current landscape with Toys R Us out of business, a national chain that owned a 15% marketshare. Second, industry sources inform Deadline that Last Jedi missed its $600M merchandise revenue target with a $450M take.

Those talk are always a bit opaque to me but if the studio really helped the studio to make 450m additional merchandise revenues with the Last Jedi, can you imagine how crazy that is.

That would be more than the 404m they made at the domestic box office everyone is talking about (620*.65), it would be like for a movie that do not sell merchandise to had a 1.5b run in China and made 2.8b at the world box office that way.

IF Solo make 15% of that (big if) that still a big game changer for a bottom line (big big if because with how much of sales are expected to be right away if a movie bomb you could have you or your partner having overproduced them), but that is around the theatrical reveneues of making 170m oversea outside China.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yikes at how BP will drop this weekend. 700m on its own is over, and who knows if Disney will really care to step in. Probably not honestly. They messed it up anyways with that dumb home release date.

They can still give it a dollar theater expansion.

• Like 1

Ok, I think Solo proves it's time for Disney to take some bold risks with the Star Wars franchise going forward. I'm thinking musical remakes of the OT.

How about a fully subtitled Greedo song cut short by a blaster bolt. Han sings "sorry about the mess" while dancing toward the exit.

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Justice League could’ve made more in merchandise than it did at the domestic box office. 

Not sure what exactly is your point, put if I understand what you are quoting correctly you are quoting an example of a movie that did just that.

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

So Solo is still going for a 67% weekend drop 

I guess the good word of the mouth hasn't kicked in yet

Maybe it'll recover next week :ph34r:

With Ocean’s 8 coming out, kinda doubtful. Notfabio said Solo might be giving up IMAX screens to Ocean. It’s certain to lose the Dolby theaters to it.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

More than that don't forget cinemas take a cut if the box office.

Say the budget was 250m then marketing was another 100m.

It would need about 700m to make a profit I would think.

700m box office performance is a lot. Amazing Spider Man 2 had a 264 million net budget, 191m world theatrical releasing cost, no access to the merchandise money and turned a small profit. If it would have saved 100m by having a small 100m release, it would have made over 100m in profit.

3 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

With Ocean’s 8 coming out, kinda doubtful. Notfabio said Solo might be giving up IMAX screens to Ocean. It’s certain to lose the Dolby theaters to it.

Imagine if Ocean's 8 makes more than Solo. This forum will be crumbling down if that happens. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

The question is will O8 get 4x Solo next weekend. Let's say $29m weekend, drop to 12.5m next weekend. O8 50m OW, seems doable.