Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

Unless I Feel Pretty grossed $290K or so on Friday, which seems unlikely given its gross of just over $28K on Thursday, Life of the Party has passed I Feel Pretty on the domestic front: $48.8M vs. $48.5M.

Updated Summer RT Watch:

Hereditary becomes the first summer film with an 8+ rating. Its 94% and 8.5 rating will be tough to beat. Curious to see what other films this summer will crack an 8+ rating (if any... summer 2016 had only one film do so).

2018 Summer Films RT Watch (Wide-Release — May/June/July/August)

1. Hereditary — 94% — 8.5 rating
2. Tully — 87% — 7.7 rating
3. Upgrade — 86% — 7.1 rating
4. Deadpool 2 — 83% — 7.0 rating
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story — 71% — 6.4 rating
6. Ocean’s 8 — 69% — 6.3 rating
7. Adrift — 69% — 6.2 rating
8. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 62% — 6.2 rating
9. Hotel Artemis — 58% — 5.9 rating
10. Bad Samaritan — 53% — 5.7 rating
11. Book Club — 54% — 5.3 rating
12. Life of the Party — 38% — 5.0 rating
13. Overboard — 28% — 4.3 rating
14. Breaking In — 25% — 4.2 rating
15. Action Point — 17% — 3.5 rating
16. Show Dogs — 17% — 3.1 rating

2017 — 42 wide-release films
* 18 fresh, 24 rotten
* 80% or higher: 14 films
* 8.0+ rating: 4 films (Dunkirk, The Big Sick, War for the Planet of the Apes, Baby Driver)

2016 — 42 wide-release films
* 20 fresh, 22 rotten
* 80% or higher: 9 films
* 8.0+ rating: 1 film (Kubo and the Two Strings)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Hereditary is steaming stinking nasty foul maggot infested garbage. It's worse than ICAN and Babadook.

@Krissykins @Nova @JohnnyGossamer

I didn't even remembered It Comes At Night when we were mentioning multiple horror indies in the chat. That was a good movie that should have never been sold that way it did. It is not even a horror movie in the truest of forms. It is a post apocalyptic drama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hereditary is steaming stinking nasty foul maggot infested garbage. It's worse than ICAN and Babadook.

@Krissykins @Nova @JohnnyGossamer

I had the feeling that it would be but I didn’t want to post it. I mean there’s people that consider ICAN great so whatever. Many modern horror films are just going for a gimmick without a good story to tell.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

There was never any indication of that happening, for a spin off 4th entry franchise film? That’s silly. 

It could have imo, with that opening weekend with a mediocre product with mediocre review, do show how much potential it had.

A better 8/10 type of movie, giving us a bit better trailers, maybe the movie would have overreach it's target and safe audience it went for (played really really heavy on the woman over 25 quadrant) and could have made a 50m OW run with an bit over 3.15x multi without much of a stretch. A bit of a missed opportunity, but the project was so safe (one of the safest in year's outside the direct sequel type or Super Heroes) that is still a great result without even landing the movie and at 70m didn't needed to play outside it's 2 best quadrant at all.

A bit like Murder on the Orient express in many way or Mag 7.

Rt average score

Murder : 6.1/10

Mag 7: 6.0/10

Ocean 8: 6.3/10

All rather safe project, with a logical budget, assemble cast and franchise power needing only a 6/10 movie to achieve success and Ocean 8 should easily end up the most successful of the bunch domestic, will see oversea, Murder on the Orient express is probably safe there.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, L Silverman said:

Industry tracking was never as low as $30m.  And Deadline backs me up. 

I am a bit curious here, when deadline say some trackers are as low as 30M, they mean non-industry tracker ? What are those ?

I thought ICAN was... fine? It was interesting enough. Not a movie I'd probably watch again anytime soon and it didn't make me think Hereditary was a must-see movie. But then I'm not a big horror guy.

Edited by Mekanos

Everything except Book Club and Hotel Artemis (which just had a show start with only one seat lmao) is looking at a solid increase from yesterday at my theater. Ocean's is kind of looking even tho

• Like 2

The chances of Hereditary being liked by general audiences were doomed as soon as David Ehrlich started raving about it. Far more often than not, if he likes a film, then general audiences will not and vice versa.

• Like 1

FWIW Hereditary's audience score is still in the low-70s on RT. It's been dropping all day, but that is still a pretty good score. I don't think audiences are disliking it as much as the CinemaScore suggests, just that those who don't like it really fucking hate it.

Edited by WrathOfHan

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The chances of Hereditary being liked by general audiences were doomed as soon as David Ehrlich started raving about it. Far more often than not, if he likes a film, then general audiences will not and vice versa.

Thats good news since he hated Fallen Kingdom :sparta:

Infinity War is at 43th day of theatrical run which is by Friday (June 8). Even if it misses $2 billion by Sunday, it may do it on Monday which is 46th day. Avatar passed the mark in 47 days.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2