Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

@WrathOfHan happy birthday:

12x:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout: Black Panther, Annihilation, Ready Player One, Black Panther Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3, Deadpool 2, Book Club, Action Point, Adrift, Ocean’s 8

10x:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4, Black Panther, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Black Panther Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

Incredibles 2: Coco, Coco Round 3, Coco Round 4, Coco Round 5, Paddington 2, Coco Round 6, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

7x:

Venom: Black Panther, Game Night, Black Panther Round 2, Blockers, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2, Avengers: Infinity War Round 3

Sicario: Day of the Soldado: All the Money in the World, The Post, The Commuter, Annihilation, Unsane, A Quiet Place, Deadpool 2

6x:

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Early Man, Peter Rabbit, A Wrinkle in Time, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Show Dogs

The Darkest Minds: Blockers, A Quiet Place, Tully, Deadpool 2, Action Point, Adrift

The Grinch: Isle of Dogs, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero, Deadpool 2, Show Dogs, Ocean’s 8

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!: The Post, Love, Simon, Tully, Book Club, Adrift, Ocean’s 8

5x:

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2, Geostorm, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Last Flag Flying

Christopher Robin: A Wrinkle in Time, Love, Simon, Isle of Dogs, Book Club, Show Dogs

4x:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: Peter Rabbit, Love, Simon, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Ready Player One

Hereditary: Annihilation, Thoroughbreds, Unsane, A Quiet Place

Tag: Unsane, A Quiet Place, Tully, Action Point

3x:

Duck Duck Goose: My Little Pony: The Movie, Wonder, Coco

Alita: Battle Angel: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

Mortal Engines: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, The Commuter, A Wrinkle in Time

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Black Panther, Game Night Round 2, Black Panther Round 2

Smallfoot: Paddington 2, Early Man, Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald: Ready Player One, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Infinity War Round 2

Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Unsane, Isle of Dogs, Book Club

Teen Titans Go! To The Movies!: Paddington 2, Peter Rabbit, Show Dogs

Searching: Book Club, Adrift, Hotel Artemis

Crazy Rich Asians: Adrift, Hotel Artemis, Ocean’s 8

2x:

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

The New Mutants: Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2

Eighth Grade: Love, Simon, Isle of Dogs

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?: Isle of Dogs, Tully

Uncle Drew: Black Panther Round 2, Deadpool 2

Sorry to Bother You: Blockers, Deadpool 2

Ocean’s 8: Game Night, Book Club

Skyscraper: Pacific Rim: Uprising, Action Point

Hotel Artemis: Deadpool 2, Action Point

Bad Times at the El Royale: Hotel Artemis, Ocean’s 8

1x:

The Current War: Wind River

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Greatest Showman

Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Early Man

Mary Poppins Returns: A Wrinkle in Time

Night School: Blockers

Blindspotting: Tully

Johnny English Strikes Again: Tully

The First Purge: Deadpool 2

Bohemian Rhapsody: Deadpool 2

Dog Days: Show Dogs

A-X-L: Show Dogs

Superfly: Action Point

The Happytime Murders: Action Point

A Simple Favor: Adrift

Mile 22: Adrift

Peppermint: Adrift

City of Lies: Hotel Artemis

Operation Finale: Ocean’s 8

The Spy Who Dumped Me: Ocean’s 8

The Girl in the Spider’s Web: Ocean’s 8

A Star is Born: Ocean’s 8

• Thanks 1

The witch would have been better if it wasn’t a horror film and focused on the superstitions of that time as a pure suspense film. The last 15-20 minutes were horrible, borderline laughable and ridiculous, and killed the film, it would have been better without any supernatural elements.

Ending a horror film seems to be a big problem these days ,”the anatomy of Jane doe” has the same problem. Brilliant build up , terrible and cliche 3rd act,

• Like 1

@Blankments @That One Guy

9:

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (All the Money in the World, Molly’s Game, The Commuter, Phantom Thread, Annihilation, Red Sparrow, Unsane, A Quiet Place, Upgrade)

7:

Mission: Impossible – Fallout (Black Panther, Annihilation, A Quiet Place, Avengers: Infinity War, Ready Player One, Breaking In, Upgrade)

6:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Isle of Dogs)

5:

The Darkest Minds (A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers, Breaking In, Upgrade)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Black Panther, Rampage, Avengers: Infinity War, Deadpool 2)

4:

Ant-Man and the Wasp (Black Panther, Rampage, Deadpool 2, Upgrade)

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (The Greatest Showman, The Post, Love, Simon, Breaking In)

Ocean’s 8 (The Greatest Showman, Game Night, Ready Player One, Breaking In)

Tag (Unsane, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Blockers)

Venom (Black Panther, Game Night, Blockers, Deadpool 2)

3:

Hereditary (Annihilation, Unsane, A Quiet Place)

Incredibles 2 (Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Love, Simon, Ready Player One, Deadpool 2)

2:

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle)

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (Unsane, Isle of Dogs)

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Isle of Dogs, Avengers: Infinity War)

Night School (Blockers, Breaking In)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

1:

Hotel Artemis (Breaking In)

Spoiler

BlacKkKlansman (Upgrade)

The Current War (Wind River)

Dr. Suess’ The Grinch (Isle of Dogs)

Duck Duck Goose (The LEGO Ninjago Movie)

Eighth Grade (Isle of Dogs)

The First Purge (Upgrade)

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (Ready Player One)

The Meg (Upgrade)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman)

Skyscraper (Rampage)

Smallfoot (Coco)

The Spy Who Dumped Me (Ready Player One)

Superfly (Breaking In)

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (Rampage)

Uncle Drew (Annihilation)

Unfriended: Dark Web (Upgrade)

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? (Isle of Dogs)

• Like 2

Just now, Thrylos 7 said:

The witch would have been better if it wasn’t a horror film and focused on the superstitions of that time as a pure suspense film. The last 15-20 minutes were horrible, borderline laughable and ridiculous, and killed the film, it would have been better without any supernatural elements.

Ending a horror film seems to be a big problem these days ,”the anatomy of Jane doe” has the same problem. Brilliant build up , terrible and cliche 3rd act,

I loved Jane Doe. But you're right. They didn't know how to end it.

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I'm so glad The Witch wasn't just about religious hysteria a la Crucible. It would have been so boring without the supernatural elements. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

, it would have been better without any supernatural elements.

It was surprising how much it does not leave any doubt, from the very first scene that witch and their magical power exist.

But at the same time the director wanted to put us in the subjective experience of people that really believed in them (something impossible for us today) and that was a way to do it and to be more original than the usual movie that would leave a doubt about it. But I would have also loved to see the movie you are talking I think.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lestranger said:

Agreed. I got out and thought it was worse than mother! I haven't seen another movie recently that asked so so much of the audience and delivery next to nothing in return. The Box called, it wants its completely insane and nonsensical plot back.

I absolutely loved it lol. But a lot of people are gonna agree with you 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

I loved the ending to The Witch, I kinda thought it made the movie. I think them not going the satanic route and keeping it based on the paranoia and superstition of the time could have been an interesting choice (but then you'd have the same problem as It Comes at Night where people would complain about the title being misleading), but I LOVE a good occult film with a bleak ending, and that whole sequence was just so dark and fun, it worked perfectly for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I loved the ending to The Witch, I kinda thought it made the movie. I think them not going the satanic route and keeping it based on the paranoia and superstition of the time could have been an interesting choice (but then you'd have the same problem as It Comes at Night where people would complain about the title being misleading), but I LOVE a good occult film with a bleak ending, and that whole sequence was just so dark and fun, it worked perfectly for me.

To each his own I guess, I remember some goats and men with black capes that growled and stuff like that in the witch ending that were anything but dark and satanic and felt out of place with the rest of the movie. It felt like a parody to me, very badly executed. It’s actually quite tricky for a bleak ending (and almost every horror film has a bleak ending these days) to work, fulci’s the beyond works for example, “let’s scare Jessica to death” ending works ,most bleak endings in new horror films not so much. Good effort by the actors in the witch though, I have to give them that with the old English they spoke. 

• Like 1

O8 is 100% carried on the backs of the performances. Thought the film itself was incredibly slight for an Ocean's or heist film. It didn't really even try to be clever, just very simple and straightforward. Which I wouldn't call a good thing for its genre. Disappointed such a great female ensemble was gathered and not given more to work with. 

• Like 1

I loved the setting of THE WITCH, that time period and all. I'd love to see more films based on the really, really early settlers of America and not necessarily the 1700's/1800's.

• Like 2

Can’t wait for next weekend when we finally have  a big enough number for Rth again.      

I didn’t see Hereditary, but I did read enough of the plot to be very happy with that.