WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'd lean towards Spidey or a touch less...Spidey didn't have the World Cup, which doesn't have a huge effect in the US, but it might still be a little factor (especially for Fri/Sat matinees)...Plus, the East Coast heatwave is finally breaking, so folks may decide to enjoy the beautiful planned weekend weather...and not go to the movies (where they probably lived earlier this week).

Just my gut...

There's no match on Sunday so it will probably just even itself out that way, especially since Hispanic demo goes to the movies more on Sunday anyways.

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah I'm very surprised by that runtime. Granted, The Dark Tower was shorter and one of the worst movies of last year, so........

Someday an action movie will come out that's 95 minutes long because it was written by someone who understands story structure and threw out all the unnecessary bullshit leaving only the good stuff. Skyscraper is almost certainly not that movie, but one can dream. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Someday an action movie will come out that's 95 minutes long because it was written by someone who understands story structure and threw out all the unnecessary bullshit leaving only the good stuff. Skyscraper is almost certainly not that movie, but one can dream. 

I really miss the days of the solid 90-ish min long movie, one that simply had a story to tell effectively.  Everything has to be epic now with 3 endings and 2 plot twists.  It's all LOTR:ROTK's fault.  😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Fallen Kingdom was really, really dumb, but decent fun. Some really well-crafted sequences in there.

I've heard it's 2 disconnected movies shoved together with nothing but recycled themes and scenes from the previous films and done in a way that maximizes nonsensicalness.  This movie was perfect for international audiences, they were smart to let the foreign markets lead on this one.

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hot take, JWFK was better than AMATW :ph34r:

Thats unfair to Ant Man though, since Fallen Kingdom is the second best movie of all time (after JW of course).

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

How many of the best action movies ever are 90 minutes? Serious question.

Movies like Terminator 2, Die Hard, etc. certainly aren't.

Edited by Mekanos

11 minutes ago, REC said:

I've heard it's 2 disconnected movies shoved together with nothing but recycled themes and scenes from the previous films and done in a way that maximizes nonsensicalness.  This movie was perfect for international audiences, they were smart to let the foreign markets lead on this one.

Yeah, I mean it's a mish-mash of overused tropes from the previous films. Overly fan-servicey, but I expected that. Script is truly awful, the ending is hilariously bad, and there's a 'twist' that is just makes you go "...". Bayona did a good job elevating it when he could; the opening is fun, and there is some actually suspenseful set-pieces. But there's no way anyone was fixing that script.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Disgusting run time for Skyscraper. Luckily McQuarrie and Cruise are coming to save the summer with a 147 minute run time 

147 minutes? Seriously? Now I'm having second thoughts. Geez.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1