NickDisney13

Hustlers | Sept 13th, 2019 | STX | Jennifer Lopez, Constance Wu | 25th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

49 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Can anyone even grasp this movie, what it actually is? Care to explain?

It looks, by all accounts, like something that should have 6% RT and scoop all the Razzies.

I could never watch such thing - but I wonder what scam they pulled to get good reviews.

Think about it, Shay, it s obvious.

The movie should be in science fiction/fantasy tho.

In the end, Wall Street guys win and shove it up your ass.

Deep.

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Read the story it's based on. I can't guarantee all the beats are there but short version of the story not the movie:

Wu is retired from stripping and interviewed by a journalist. She recounts that she worked at the bar, was treated like shit by drunk clients, and was low paid. So star stripper, Lopez, takes her under her wing and teaches her to become a stripper cause better pay. So Wu becomes a stripper too, makes more money but is still treated like shit. Eventually Wall Street crashes, times are tough and she and Lopez come up with the plan to make more money by pretending to be high class prostitutes, drugging their clients and charging their credit cards to up to $20,000. Since clients were wealthy Wall Street brokers, $20,000 wasn't much for them and the girls convinced them that charges were right for services they provided which clients couldn't remember (for they passed out after being drugged) but they agreed. 

As the business boomed, the duo started to hire more girls but the duo kept dis-proportionally bigger cut of the loot which caused loyalty within the group to plummet. Wu emerged as the main planer and recruiter while Lopez reveled in spending on designer clothes and expensive cars which Wu didn't like for it attracted too much attention plus other girls figured that they weren't paid enough. So they started to clash.

In the meantime, men started to report to the police that a gang of stripper-hookers drugged them and charged their credit cards but nobody believed it until some guy made one of new girls to confess the scam and he taped the confession and sent it to authorities. Because drugs were involved, DEA took the case and arrested everyone. Girl immediately turned on each other to save their skin and there's even a funny moment (I hope they kept it in the movie) when DEA agent asks Wu and Lopez who was the ring leader and each pointed at the other. 

Anyway, that was the end of Wu and Lopez friendship that was already on shaky legs during the business boom, as well as the end of the business itself. There were charges, prosecution, jail time and at the end we find out that Wu isn't in the business anymore nor she talks to Lopez.

I'm sure that movie's going to make it more uplifting and more BFF than the real story with glossing over how Wu and Lopez exploited other girls for low pay.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Read the story it's based on. I can't guarantee all the beats are there but short version of the story not the movie:

Hide contents

Wu is retired from stripping and interviewed by a journalist. She recounts that she worked at the bar, was treated like shit by drunk clients, and was low paid. So star stripper, Lopez, takes her under her wing and teaches her to become a stripper cause better pay. So Wu becomes a stripper too, makes more money but is still treated like shit. Eventually Wall Street crashes, times are tough and she and Lopez come up with the plan to make more money by pretending to be high class prostitutes, drugging their clients and charging their credit cards to up to $20,000. Since clients were wealthy Wall Street brokers, $20,000 wasn't much for them and the girls convinced them that charges were right for services they provided which clients couldn't remember (for they passed out after being drugged) but they agreed. 

As the business boomed, the duo started to hire more girls but the duo kept dis-proportionally bigger cut of the loot which caused loyalty within the group to plummet. Wu emerged as the main planer and recruiter while Lopez reveled in spending on designer clothes and expensive cars which Wu didn't like for it attracted too much attention plus other girls figured that they weren't paid enough. So they started to clash.

In the meantime, men started to report to the police that a gang of stripper-hookers drugged them and charged their credit cards but nobody believed it until some guy made one of new girls to confess the scam and he taped the confession and sent it to authorities. Because drugs were involved, DEA took the case and arrested everyone. Girl immediately turned on each other to save their skin and there's even a funny moment (I hope they kept it in the movie) when DEA agent asks Wu and Lopez who was the ring leader and each pointed at the other. 

Anyway, that was the end of Wu and Lopez friendship that was already on shaky legs during the business boom, as well as the end of the business itself. There were charges, prosecution, jail time and at the end we find out that Wu isn't in the business anymore nor she talks to Lopez.

I'm sure that movie's going to make it more uplifting and more BFF than the real story with glossing over how Wu and Lopez exploited other girls for low pay.

Well, that is just terrible... a movie about the lowest of lowlifes?

Now I understand the critics saying you got no one to root for. LOL, you kidding? The Shay would like to strangle the hookers with his bare hands in the first 30 min. So - once again - what is the fucking point of this movie?!!

So glad my instincts screamed this is a terrible movie, just by looking at the "talent" involved. That is why you NEVER EVER listen to RT! Now I'll go spoil myself with the actual plot somewhere - and if they tried to portray the bitches as anything else than the murderous scumbag pigs they clearly are - there will be hell to pay.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Well, that is just terrible... a movie about the lowest of lowlifes?

Now I understand the critics saying you got no one to root for. LOL, you kidding? The Shay would like to strangle the hookers with his bare hands in the first 30 min. So - once again - what is the fucking point of this movie?!!

So glad my instincts screamed this is a terrible movie, just by looking at the "talent" involved. That is why you NEVER EVER listen to RT! Now I'll go spoil myself with the actual plot somewhere - and if they tried to portray the bitches as anything else than the murderous scumbag pigs they clearly are - there will be hell to pay.

The moment you read

"empowering"

about a movie.

Run, run away, as fast as you can.

Just run and never look back.

Run.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You are wrong. The story is very interesting and they aren't lowest of life. They didn't kill, maim, etc anyone. They didn't steal from the poor. They are not heroes but they are not the Corleones either. 

I am not wrong. I have dealt with hookers a lot in real life - and know how to deal with them. Try something like that in a country with real men = sleep with the fishes.

I also find Jell-o or whatever her name is incredibly unattractive in any possible way, not to speak of creatures like Cardi B. If I had made the mistake to go to this movie without checking - it would have ended really bad for everyone involved.

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

Were you a hustler?

No a few years ago i was a partner with some distant friends who opened up a strip club in my city.

I got out as I felt the business was rather sketch and now the place is shut down lol... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ban1o said:

LOL Scorcese and Soderbergh have made a career of films about criminals and lowlives but god forbid the film is about women lmao 

Yeah, but I never understood them either.

The only movies about criminals I could like are the ones they end with their guts out of their bodies, dying in misery like the worthless scum they are. Anything else is glorifying the worst aspects of human nature - and should be despised.

And I very much doubt that those bitches here end their lives like that. I also have the sneaking suspicion that they are being glorified and humanized a great deal.

Edited by shayhiri

7 hours ago, shayhiri said:

It looks, by all accounts, like something that should have 6% RT and scoop all the Razzies.

I could never watch such thing - but I wonder what scam they pulled to get good reviews.

So just because you don’t like the look of a film (you haven’t seen it), the reviews have been bought?

Logic! 

To anyone who has seen it, will JLo be going in the supporting or lead awards categories?