CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

49 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Hate U Give had a pretty disappointing start. It sure as shit won't play well in conservative areas, so I'm questioning if this even hits 15M total.

The spots are too dark and aren’t appealing  enougb to bring a big opener.

maybe a hopeful future on home video. 

11 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

They didn't stop Black Panther or Get Out. 

(Get Out was so overrated) 

Yes they did. RT had to shut the user score for BP down two days after it opens because of racist. That's the reason why the score has been 79 since its opening day.

Edited by Curtis1986

Superhero fans (and GA at large) are the true free thinkers among audiences.

They are free from propaganda and trust their own free will.

Pseudo educated cinephiles are just sheeps following critics who are now sitting quite close from the edge of a cliff.

We Are Venom in deed.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Great opening for Venom, which clearly had no problem withstanding the negative reviews it got tagged with heading into the weekend. Its opening is a testament to the continued popularity of superhero movies and the combination of a well-selected release date away from similar competition (and without a major film with four-quadrant appeal for a while) and a strong ad campaign that did a good job of building hype at every turn. Legs probably won't be strong, but the audience reception seems kind enough that a domestic total over $200 million is on the table, and a sequel will surely move forward.

A Star Is Born is also off to a great start. Warner Bros did an excellent job of building anticipation for this one, and the glowing reviews, word-of-mouth, and Oscar hype should result in a long, leggy run.

Smallfoot posted very nice staying power in its second weekend. If the estimate holds, its drop is slightly better than that of fellow Warner fall animated flick Storks. Even with competition from Goosebumps 2 next weekend, it should be on track for at least $75 million domestically, if not higher if it can post really light holds in the last two weekends of this month.

Night School took a rough tumble, but that was to be expected with at least some level of overlap with this weekend's big openers. Nevertheless, a finish in the vicinity of $70 million would be solid against its $29 million production budget.

The House with a Clock in Its Walls leveled out somewhat after its hard drop last weekend. It should still be on track for at least $70 million, though Goosebumps is playing to such a similar audience next weekend that it could put a dent in this one.

A Simple Favor's momentum took a hit, probably due largely to A Star Is Born's opening. Even so, it's still looking at a solidly leggy run and a total approaching $60 million.

I'm not too troubled by The Hate U Give's soft limited opening. Awesome reviews or none, it's an adaptation of a YA novel that is going to skew young, so I'm not surprised that it didn't really find a huge audience in platform release. Next weekend's expansion will be a much better indicator of how it will perform in wide release on the 19th; with how popular the book is and how much buzz the film has generated, I still think it will do just fine when it goes nationwide.

• Like 4

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-weekend-box-office-lady-gaga-1202476614/

A Fandango survey of 1,000 moviegoers indicated prior to the weekend that 93% were looking forward to seeing a different kind of Marvel anti-hero, while 90% couldn’t wait for a future Venom/Spider-Man match-up (even though the former property isn’t part of Disney’s MCU) while 80% were going because they were Tom Hardy fans.

TOM HARDY'S POWER

Edited by Pinacolada
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4

I'm feeling confident tonight. There's something about Venom that I want to rant about, something that's been on my mind about these numbers. I think it's going to end up being long, so I'm putting it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

I think certain moviegoers need an intervention.

I get it. Marvel is the new big thing, the reason why so many movies are thriving, the reason why superhero films are as prevalent as they are. But that doesn't mean there aren't victims in its wake, and I don't think I'm happy about that.

Most people would say that the animated film Smallfoot had a solid drop from last weekend, with a percentage decrease of 35.3% as of estimates. And I think they're correct to a degree. That's a very solid hold for a blockbuster film of any kind.

It's just that I think it could've had a much better decrease. And the reason why I think that is because I think Venom, over the course of this weekend, has taken the attention of the family audience away from Smallfoot, which is arguably much more deserving of said family audience.

(Before I continue, let me acknowledge that I have seen neither of these films as of this writing. I am merely talking based on observations.)

I had just seen A Star is Born--my number one film of 2018 so far, by the way--yes, it's that good--and I decided to go to the front desk manager to make a limited-release recommendation for the theater, when I saw that a family of five--all three kids younger in age--were trying to sort things out so they could see Venom despite how packed the theaters were. I was clinching my lips together, to be frank. If I weren't as shy around people, I think I would've suggested that they see Smallfoot, an excellent, serviceable animated film. But I let the opportunity pass me by. And I could've sworn that, when they weren't able to get seats together for Venom, they simply left the building, having seen nothing. To me, that was a saddening sight.

I think there's something wrong with the people in the society that try to bring very young kids--very young kids--to a film like Venom. Venom is a film with a parasitic monster that could potentially scare young children, that's just a fact. And, for those young children, there were other options. There was The House With A Clock in its Walls--though that also has its frightening moments, though it would likely be better for kids than Venom. And then there was Smallfoot, which I think is the film that really got a portion of its business taken from it in an unjust way.

You know how film can tell children meaningful messages that stick with them for the rest of their lives, right?

Well, Smallfoot had those messages. One of its central themes was being open to new ideas, and being open to rejecting old ideas that no longer serve its purpose. And while that philosophy isn't something I can always get behind in certain circumstances as someone who leans conservative, I do believe that the idea has purpose, in the sciences, in the arts, in the business world, and in everyday life. That sounds like something kids can truly get something from, correct?

(*Trigger warning. Controversial opinion imminent.*)

Let's look at Venom's messages. It's about the battle between good and evil. And, as someone that's seen critics talk about it, as someone who's seen plenty of ads for it, that's all I can tell from it. Some kids might get something from that, but for me, I think there's a lot of kids--and people, in general--who already have, instilled within themselves, the basic 'I-don't-care-what-reasons-the-villain-has-we-gotta-be-good-we-gotta-be-heroic' song & dance type of lesson that they've already seen hundreds of times in other action movies and other superhero movies.

My central thesis is this: according to my observations, many moviegoers, and the members of the future's next generation that belong to them, are going to Venom for the primary and ineffectual purpose of simply being entertained.

Going to a film to be entertained isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've done it many times before, myself. But that doesn't mean I don't prefer films that I truly take with me as I keep walking through this life of mine. All of my favorite films have something about them that are significant, something that resonates with me long after the credits roll. The reason why I appreciated Black Panther as much as I did after seeing it was because of its messages and its relevance--Ryan Coogler made something that spoke to audiences, not just something that entertained them.

And Venom is there, just, simply, entertaining them.

So of course, I'm going to be disappointed that an opportunity for many parents all across America to provide their children with entertainment that resonates with them for life is being squandered just because Sony decided to capitalize on the Marvel hype train and make lizard-brained drivel of a film starring extraterrestrial quagmire.

If you made it this far through my rant, thank you for giving the time to read through it. You absolutely do not have to agree with me or my ideas, and I am absolutely open to questions and comments. I can only hope that, in the future, people are more aware that there are certain films out there that people can learn from, that people can look through for inspiration and guidance.

Hopefully, Smallfoot can continue to have excellent holds as the only animated film until The Grinch, which is releasing on the weekend of November 9th. I'm sure they'll be good enough to convince Warner Animation Group that it was a worthwhile venture to make as good an original film as they did. And while I'm at it, I'll say that I'm happy for everyone who worked on both of the films. The people working on these films hold American dream jobs; they work very hard behind the scenes to provide many people with a product that audiences may or may not embrace, and they're the ones who deserve to have their films succeed the most.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Venom is a film with a parasitic monster that could potentially scare young children, that's just a fact.

Venom isn't a parasite. The movie explains this  :Venom: 

4 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Let's look at Venom's messages. It's about the battle between good and evil. And, as someone that's seen critics talk about it, as someone who's seen plenty of ads for it, that's all I can tell from it. Some kids might get something from that, but for me, I think there's a lot of kids--and people, in general--who already have, instilled within themselves, the basic 'I-don't-care-what-reasons-the-villain-has-we-gotta-be-good-we-gotta-be-heroic' song & dance type of lesson that they've already seen hundreds of times in other action movies and other superhero movies.

Venom was literally sold on "THE WORLD HAS ENOUGH SUPERHEROES"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Venom kind of reminds me of the first three Transformers. It was fun to watch on the big screen and had some funny moments but if I never see it again I'll be okay.  it was dumb fun but definitely subpar compared to 90% of the superhero movies coming out today. 

5 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I'm feeling confident tonight. There's something about Venom that I want to rant about, something that's been on my mind about these numbers. I think it's going to end up being long, so I'm putting it in a spoiler tag.

Hide contents

I get it. Marvel is the new big thing, the reason why so many movies are thriving, the reason why superhero films are as prevalent as they are. But that doesn't mean there aren't victims in its wake, and I don't think I'm happy about that.

Most people would say that the animated film Smallfoot had a solid drop from last weekend, with a percentage decrease of 35.3% as of estimates. And I think they're correct to a degree. That's a very solid hold for a blockbuster film of any kind.

It's just that I think it could've had a much better decrease. And the reason why I think that is because I think Venom, over the course of this weekend, has taken the attention of the family audience away from Smallfoot, which is arguably much more deserving of said family audience.

(Before I continue, let me acknowledge that I have seen neither of these films as of this writing. I am merely talking based on observations.)

I had just seen A Star is Born--my number one film of 2018 so far, by the way--yes, it's that good--and I decided to go to the front desk manager to make a limited-release recommendation for the theater, when I saw that a family of five--all three kids younger in age--were trying to sort things out so they could see Venom despite how packed the theaters were. I was clinching my lips together, to be frank. If I weren't as shy around people, I think I would've suggested that they see Smallfoot, an excellent, serviceable animated film. But I let the opportunity pass me by. And I could've sworn that, when they weren't able to get seats together for Venom, they simply left the building, having seen nothing. To me, that was a saddening sight.

I think there's something wrong with the people in the society that try to bring very young kids--very young kids--to a film like Venom. Venom is a film with a parasitic monster that could potentially scare young children, that's just a fact. And, for those young children, there were other options. There was The House With A Clock in its Walls--though that also has its frightening moments, though it would likely be better for kids than Venom. And then there was Smallfoot, which I think is the film that really got a portion of its business taken from it in an unjust way.

You know how film can tell children meaningful messages that stick with them for the rest of their lives, right?

Well, Smallfoot had those messages. One of its central themes was being open to new ideas, and being open to rejecting old ideas that no longer serve its purpose. And while that philosophy isn't something I can always get behind in certain circumstances as someone who leans conservative, I do believe that the idea has purpose, in the sciences, in the arts, in the business world, and in everyday life. That sounds like something kids can truly get something from, correct?

My central thesis is this: according to my observations, many moviegoers, and the members of the future's next generation that belong to them, are going to Venom for the primary and ineffectual purpose of simply being entertained.

Going to a film to be entertained isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've done it many times before, myself. But that doesn't mean I don't prefer films that I truly take with me as I keep walking through this life of mine. All of my favorite films have something about them that are significant, something that resonates with me long after the credits roll. The reason why I appreciated Black Panther as much as I did after seeing it was because of its messages and its relevance--Ryan Coogler made something that spoke to audiences, not just something that entertained them.

So of course, I'm going to be disappointed that an opportunity for many parents all across America to provide their children with entertainment that resonates with them for life is being squandered just because Sony decided to capitalize on the Marvel hype train and make lizard-brained drivel of a film starring extraterrestrial quagmire.

If you made it this far through my rant, thank you for giving the time to read through it. You absolutely do not have to agree with me or my ideas, and I am absolutely open to questions and comments. I can only hope that, in the future, people are more aware that there are certain films out there that people can learn from, that people can look through for inspiration and guidance.

Hopefully, Smallfoot can continue to have excellent holds as the only animated film until The Grinch, which is releasing on the weekend of November 9th. I'm sure they'll be good enough to convince Warner Animation Group that it was a worthwhile venture to make as good an original film as they did. And while I'm at it, I'll say that I'm happy for everyone who worked on both of the films. The people working on these films hold American dream jobs; they work very hard behind the scenes to provide many people with a product that audiences may or may not embrace, and they're the ones who deserve to have their films succeed the most.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Hide contents

I appreciate your sentiment, and I have seen both movies...and I think you're being a touch tough on Venom and parents...

1st, parents have to pay a lot to go to movies, since there's no good subscription service for them.  Smallfoot offered $5 off 2 ticket deals...Venom offered $5 off EACH ticket deals...so if a family picks the cheaper one as their monthly option, who can blame them (b/c a family of 4 saved their popcorn costs:)...

2nd, an offshoot of 1...since parents are paying a lot, they want to be entertained as much as kids...so supers tend to beat cartoons.  Even my husband, 30 minutes into Smallfoot, thought "oh nelly, not another typical kid movie," and then the movie turned around for him.  But you don't tend to know that will happen in a movie.  If he was the ticket buyer, and I didn't find the double deals, we'd have passed on Smallfoot for Venom (and I'd have been bummed - it's ultimately why we passed on A House with the Clock in Its Walls, b/c they offered NO deal, and well, we already had 2 other movies of interest, none of which was "must see", but "fun to see if we can find a cheap way to go.")

3rd, I think Venom delivers more for kids than you think it does...

Spoiler

a down on his luck guy pretty much loses everything for trying to do the right thing...I mean, everything...and he doesn't ultimately quit...or turn to evil/crime...he tries to make the best of the life he has...and when faced with a tough choice again, he makes the right calls...that's some awesome kid life lessons there.  Life doesn't always work out and sometimes, you're stuck with a whole lot of lemons even when you do the right thing...and you have to be able to live with that and make some sorta lemonade.  I was bummed I didn't bring my kids b/c that's not a lesson usually given in supers.  This cocky guy tried to do right when he was on top, and got destroyed for it...but he didn't let it ruin his life or his inner goodness...he managed.  That's what you do in life.  And it's so "not in your face" lesson-screeching that sometimes happens in animated movies that it seems perfect.  

So, before I get as long as your post:)...give parents and Venom a shot - it's probably better than you think it might be:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Reveal hidden contents

Another elavator taker :Venom:

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I appreciate your sentiment, and I have seen both movies...and I think you're being a touch tough on Venom and parents...

1st, parents have to pay a lot to go to movies, since there's no good subscription service for them.  Smallfoot offered $5 off 2 ticket deals...Venom offered $5 off EACH ticket deals...so if a family picks the cheaper one as their monthly option, who can blame them (b/c a family of 4 saved their popcorn costs:)...

2nd, an offshoot of 1...since parents are paying a lot, they want to be entertained as much as kids...so supers tend to beat cartoons.  Even my husband, 30 minutes into Smallfoot, thought "oh nelly, not another typical kid movie," and then the movie turned around for him.  But you don't tend to know that will happen in a movie.  If he was the ticket buyer, and I didn't find the double deals, we'd have passed on Smallfoot for Venom (and I'd have been bummed - it's ultimately why we passed on A House with the Clock in Its Walls, b/c they offered NO deal, and well, we already had 2 other movies of interest, none of which was "must see", but "fun to see if we can find a cheap way to go.")

3rd, I think Venom delivers more for kids than you think it does...

Hide contents

a down on his luck guy pretty much loses everything for trying to do the right thing...I mean, everything...and he doesn't ultimately quit...or turn to evil/crime...he tries to make the best of the life he has...and when faced with a tough choice again, he makes the right calls...that's some awesome kid life lessons there.  Life doesn't always work out and sometimes, you're stuck with a whole lot of lemons even when you do the right thing...and you have to be able to live with that and make some sorta lemonade.  I was bummed I didn't bring my kids b/c that's not a lesson usually given in supers.  This cocky guy tried to do right when he was on top, and got destroyed for it...but he didn't let it ruin his life or his inner goodness...he managed.  That's what you do in life.  And it's so "not in your face" lesson-screeching that sometimes happens in animated movies that it seems perfect.  

So, before I get as long as your post:)...give parents and Venom a shot - it's probably better than you think it might be...

Well, that sounds really good for kids once you put it that way. I probably should've seen the film before I judged it! I still wish more people were seeing Smallfoot but I guess I'm not as disappointed in Venom as I was before.

• Like 1