YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

I mean to be fair, I remember so much doom and gloom coming from the weekend thread after the first Fantastic Beasts preview numbers came out, with people saying the reviews were so much weaker than previous entries, with typical HP legs incoming. So I wouldn’t rule out barely edging out 70/200 just yet, but who knows.

550k makes 20M definitely possible for Instant Family. Wonder’s trajectory puts it at nearly 22

FB2 is coming in right about where most here expected pretty much since the first one finished up. OW DOM just over/under $70M. And, most likely a DOM TOTAL just over/under $200M. Expecting the same diminishing returns with whatever the next one's called. Probably for FB3 an OW DOM just over/under $65M and DOM TOTAL just over/under $180M.

22 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$9.1m is a lot more respectable although I wonder if it includes the sneaks

No mention is made of the sneaks as separate number so I assume they've been rolled in

UPDATE FRIDAY 7:35AM: Fantastic Beasts and the Crimes of Grindelwald came in much higher last night with $9.1M beating the $8.75M Thursday night preview of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them‘s two years ago at this time. The David Yates-directed movie is off to a great start. Showtimes began at 5PM and played at roughly 3,300 locations. The J.K. Rowling-penned movie from Warner Bros. is expected to clear $70M in U.S./Canada and not be shackled by its lackluster 45% Rotten Tomatoes score.

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

How is that different from any other franchise? And most sequels drop.

unless you're an MCU film. The MCU have produced 10 sequels and all of them have increased over their predecessors except for AoU (for obvious reasons and it did increase over A1 OS).

So why can't the other franchises follow the MCU? all they have to do is make good movies..

14 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Yea, but who does this appeal to?  The Potter loonies.  It's not like there's a lot of appeal here to the general public.  So when you appeal to one group and one group only, it's not surprising that the sequel drops.

Oh, I agree with that completely. Look what happened to SW for banking too much on nostalgia instead of moving forward. FB had a chance to be more for GA than just for fans, and it blew it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Oh, I agree with that completely. Look what happened to SW for banking too much on nostalgia instead of moving forward. FB had a chance to be more for GA than just for fans, and it blew it

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, a2k said:

Venom's 2nd weekend in China should cross 55. Around 50% drop from ow. The experts are now talking $270+ total. So matching SMH's 880 ww is on cards 215 Dom + 275 Ch + 390 OS-Ch = 880 WW

a 55M 2nd weekend for Venom would be bigger than IW's 54.1M 2nd weekend in China..

:sparta:

I'm still shocked at how well this is doing in China. I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable and funny but not to the point where it can break so many records..