YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tom and Daisy did reshoots in Montreal end of October, beginning of November.  For 2-3 weeks. But nothing can save that turd. 

There are a lot of examples of movies with reshoots and delays that finally were succesful. Just to name one: WWZ

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tom and Daisy did reshoots in Montreal end of October, beginning of November.  For 2-3 weeks. But nothing can save that turd. 

It's a Doug Liman movie. Re-shoots for only 2-3 weeks is very underwhelming.  Next thing you'll tell me is he's under budget.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Lumos said:

Jesus, the over reactions in this thread are ridiculous. There isn’t anything to suggest that this can’t still do 70m OW and 200m DOM. We have 1 preview number which is right around the same ballpark as the first and people are freaking out. Also we have opening day numbers from numerous overseas markets where numbers are up quite a bit. And the bad reviews? As someone whose actually seen then film it was a huge improvement over the first film. Definitely a film made exclusively for the fans though - which explains critics panning it. As a HP fan I couldn’t be happier. Worldwide this will probably come in higher and I can assure you there is a lot more positive word of mouth coming from this film then what this forum would suggest. 

what makes you think that a movie made exclusively for the fans will have good legs? this movie doesn't work well as a standalone (it's more like a FB 2.5) like the first one and will likely have less repeat viewings and worse word of mouth than the first.

I think it can do 70M+ OW but will fall short of 200M (should do 170M-180M unless it gets fudged or extended)

Speaking of HP-related movies....one’s got to wonder why ”Prisoner of Azkaban” from 2004, ended up as the lowest grossing HP-film at the time.

I mean...of all the first three (more family-friendlier PG-rated) HP-films, ”Azkaban” was the highest rated one in the series....and yet it couldn’t do over $250M+ DOM & $800M+ WW (it came very close with $249M & $796M WW). I stated before in theories, with POA having the smallest scale out of the first 3 films. But does anybody else have more theories of why Azkaban grossed the lowest, despite one of the best qualities? 🤔

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

3 minutes ago, Curtis1986 said:

I don't think they expected this to get a 45% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics wasn't messing around this time.

They delayed JL reviews till the very last moment (RT also had that big reveal event) and this time opened up FB2 early. Both will end up with a similar score.

Just now, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Speaking of HP-related movies....one’s got to wonder why ”Prisoner of Azkaban” ended up as the lowest grossing HP-film at the time.

I mean...of all the first three (more family-friendlier PG-rated) HP-films, ”Azkaban” was the highest rated one in the series....and yet it couldn’t do over $250M+ DOM & $800M+ WW (it came very close with $249M & $796M WW). I stated before in theories, with POA having the smallest scale out of the first 3 films. But does anybody else have more theories of why Azkaban grossed the lowest, despite one of the best qualities? 🤔

It was sorta overshadowed by the juggernaut that was Shrek 2 at the time. Also the first two films were well-received but not nearly as much as later entries were.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Speaking of HP-related movies....one’s got to wonder why ”Prisoner of Azkaban” from 2004, ended up as the lowest grossing HP-film at the time.

It was a transition movie. Couldn't have the kid friendly Columbus appeal along with a nov/dec release as the stories would get darker, and neither did it have the big villain come into play like with Gof and Ootp. Their job was to change the film tonally to suit a growing audience and that was done very well.

Edited by a2k

18 minutes ago, Lumos said:

and I can assure you there is a lot more positive word of mouth coming from this film then what this forum would suggest. 

I don't think that it will have any positive word of mouth.

I am a huge harry potter fan and I just have to assume that this was not a good movie.

This film might get toxic wom because there's almost no action scenes, there's no climax or tension or stakes. It's 100min of boring dialogue that eventually leads to nowhere.

The visuals effects are great, the cinematography and production design are stunning, the actors did a very good job (especially Johnny Depp) but the STORY isn't there.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I’d wait until the Friday numbers come in to try and get an idea of how this weekend will play out. I’m really not sure what the hell the point of Tuesday sneaks are anyways and the fact that they get added into weekends is kinda insane imo

It's really simple: money. Studios get a little profit to add into their totals, and movie theaters will generate higher traffic on a typically slow night. It's really no worse than opening at 7 on a Thursday.

Though if Disney does this tactic with Episode IX while I'm busy with finals, I'm gonna fly to Burbank and fist fight Bob Iger.

If this movie got 3 million on Tuesday, then it shows severe frontloading if it just got 6.1 million on Thursday's previews ( which started 1 hour earlier than the first movie ).

Unless we assume that the same people who watched it on Tuesday, would be watching it yesterday regardless. 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It was sorta overshadowed by the juggernaut that was Shrek 2 at the time. Also the first two films were well-received but not nearly as much as later entries were.

True. Though ”Sorcerer’s Stone” was the only HP-film before HBP, to hit over $300M+ DOM.  And ”Chamber of Secrets”, while it was a large hit WW-wise with nearly $880M in 2002, it didn’t win that year thanks to LOTR: TTT.

I guess the ogre did steal some thunder from the third HP-movie back then.

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

It's really simple: money. Studios get a little profit to add into their totals, and movie theaters will generate higher traffic on a typically slow night. It's really no worse than opening at 7 on a Thursday.

Though if Disney does this tactic with Episode IX while I'm busy with finals, I'm gonna fly to Burbank and fist fight Bob Iger.

With the way Tuesdays are acting, I'd say Tuesday is the second or third busiest day of the week behind Saturday and Friday now. So it doesn't make sense to me from that point because it's not like Tuesday's are a dead day now but I'm guessing what you are saying is correct....I just think Tuesday isn't as slow as it used to and if they're trying to get folks in theaters on a day that isn't busy maybe try for Monday or Wednesday. Though I suppose if they did it on Wednesday that's no different than just waiting until Thursday. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

A lot of the reviews and WOM blame Rowling but Warner Bros can't exactly fire her given it's her creation.

they need someone who dares to say No to her BS. If characters are bland (well, Newt and Tina are and they are leads so...) and story is confusing mess that even fans have problem following and retconning is of the worst kind, than someone should straighten her out. 

56 minutes ago, Alli said:

eh. not really? we could guess those who saw it Tuesday would have seen it Thursday. they are hardcore fans..

Maybe some did see it both time, but early limited previews in popular show time, popular place for such event would often be sold out ? Adding days and starting earlier should boost the amount.

Edited by Barnack