MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

Damn, 47 minutes too slow to rehash my BW take in the wrong thread, how sad :sadno:

Anyway I was kind of expecting this movie to be like low-mid tier Marvel until now (which to be clear is still pretty good) but now I am actually hyped! If only I could have snagged on the free IMAXes tonight 😔

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

I think they’re gonna let me in in just a few. They won’t let me on my phone either, so I’ll see you on the outside :)

Please DM me with the knowledge once your out 🙂 

8 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Subtitles are getting more and more popular. People get frustrated with dub, switch to original language with English or other subs and are happy. Time will come when Hollywood won't shy away from subs. 

Annoys the hell outta me that we're supposed to buy these characters would speak English the whole time. Hopefully trailers are hiding at least SOME scenes in Mandarin. 

23 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

They just gave Suicide Squad 3/4

Yeah, this is known. Slant Magazine isn't just snobbish, they even often hate on highly praised dramas. They don't like anything. They're a little bit like Armond White but not quite as buffoonish. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Annoys the hell outta me that we're supposed to buy these characters would speak English the whole time. Hopefully trailers are hiding at least SOME scenes in Mandarin. 

I mean characters in these big movies can speak alien languages but not foreign actual languages.

Loved they used Spanish in The Suicide Squad.

If I see them not speak in hindi in Eternals (them as in Kumail character), I riot. cc @Cap

• Like 2

Isn’t it generally understood that characters speaking English in an American movie are not necessarily speaking English in universe? And same thing for movies produced elsewhere, like a Japanese production Robin Hood they’ll just speak Japanese, but in-universe it’s understood to be English (though really old English which is practically a different language itself).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Isn’t it generally understood that characters speaking English in an American movie are not necessarily speaking English in universe? And same thing for movies produced elsewhere, like a Japanese production Robin Hood they’ll just speak Japanese, but in-universe it’s understood to be English (though really old English which is practically a different language itself).

Reminds me as a kid all those old WW2 Hollywood movies where the Nazis speak English to each other. It’s one of those conceits.

• Thanks 1

The true test as to whether pandemic and vax cards can derail the box office will be seen in Disney’s Labor Day weekend release of Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten RingsThat pic is already poised to rank as the best Labor Day weekend opening off all-time at $45M over four days. The pic is fantastic, played through the roof at its world premiere in Hollywood on Monday, and is bound to overindex and make box office history. Knock on wood.

DEADLINE

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The true test as to whether pandemic and vax cards can derail the box office will be seen in Disney’s Labor Day weekend release of Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten RingsThat pic is already poised to rank as the best Labor Day weekend opening off all-time at $45M over four days. The pic is fantastic, played through the roof at its world premiere in Hollywood on Monday, and is bound to overindex and make box office history. Knock on wood.

DEADLINE

Lol Deadline, never change. 45M over 4 days isn't some earth shattering number infact it would be the lowest MCU opening ever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Lol Deadline, never change. 45M over 4 days isn't some earth shattering number infact it would be the lowest MCU opening ever.

It would be bad in terms of the MCU but solid in terms of this year and context. 

But either way, it’s probably doing 45m 3day at this rate 

• Like 1

It’s solid. Real solid actually. Highlights come from the family drama, which has decent weight to it, and some stylish fight choreography that is really exciting and full of creative set pieces that Cretton clearly had a blast developing. A solid ending to Brad Allan’s career IMO.

More specific standouts include the second half, especially in regards to the finale, and Tony Leung’s performance. He’s easily the best of the main ensemble IMO, though everybody does a good job here.

I’m sure Marvel nerds will get a kick out of it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 8

3 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

It’s solid. Real solid actually. Highlights come from the family drama, which has decent weight to it, and some stylish fight choreography that is really exciting and full of creative set pieces that Cretton clearly had a blast developing. A solid ending to Brad Allan’s career IMO.

More specific standouts include the second half, especially in regards to the finale, and Tony Leung’s performance. He’s easily the best of the main ensemble IMO, though everybody does a good job here.

Great to hear. As a Marvel nerd, my excitement is through the roof !!!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

The 3rd act is a CGI mess indeed or is just too long?

35 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

DEADLINE

That one 70m 4 day prediction will take a lot of leg work. Can it be done?