MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

53 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Sure but I think this was a decision mainly based on the story that's being told and who was hired to bring the story to the screen. I don't think China is any more a priority than the domestic audience. 

This film is being made primarily for China. Obviously they'd want it to be successful elsewhere as well but first and foremost, the objective is to create the first onscreen Chinese-origin superhero from Hollywood and solidify the relationship Marvel/Disney has with the Middle Kingdom.

Also see: They were fine with Princess Jasmine not being played by a Middle Eastern actress but Mulan had to be played by a Chinese actress in the live action reboots.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

This film is being made primarily for China. Obviously they'd want it to be successful elsewhere as well but first and foremost, the objective is to create the first onscreen Chinese-origin superhero from Hollywood and solidify the relationship Marvel/Disney has with the Middle Kingdom.

Also see: They were fine with Princess Jasmine not being played by a Middle Eastern actress but Mulan had to be played by a Chinese actress in the live action reboots.

If this movie were being made primarily for China, Shang-Chi would be Chinese, not Chinese American and he'd most likely be played by a popular Chinese actor. The huge domestic success of Crazy Rich Asians and Black Panther, especially, is primarily why this movie is even getting made. Of course they want the movie to do well in China but I don't see how they've prioritized China over the domestic market. None of the decisions made thus far suggests that. 

• Like 4

Meh I just find it funny they excluded other Asian Americans from auditioning for the role but for black panther he was played by an African American (non African) or Princess Jasmine was played by a non middle eastern mixed race actress. I get those took place in fictional countries but still the point stands. I’m not hating in the film. I’m excited for it. Considering we don’t know much about the plot of the film I don’t think we can say none of the decisions made in the film reflect prioritizing the Chinese market. We’ll see who they cast in the role. 

• Like 1

China being a real place is a pretty important distinction so yeah, I don't think that first point holds up. 

It certainly looks like Shang will be Chinese American and most likely played by a Western actor, which in itself tells me that the Chinese market isn't the priorty.  Now I'll be surprised if they don't cast popular Chinese actors in supporting roles to help build the hype in China. But I think it's safe to say they want this film to be just as big a domestic hit as anything else. 

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Best looking MCU film incoming

he is the reason even for badly received movies get one positive detail pointed out to.

E.g. The Spirit (Frank Miller)

"Though its visuals are unique, The Spirit's plot is almost incomprehensible, ....

Another example of a mixed received movie

"Chasing Mavericks is made with more care and intelligence than many another film starting with its template might have been. It's better than most movies targeted at teens. And the cinematography of the big Mavericks scene by Oliver Euclid and Bill Pope is so frightening that you sort of understand why Frosty stays on the shore, watching Jay with binoculars."

He did also:

For Wright:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

The World's End

Baby Driver

For Favreau:

The Jungle Book

For Raimi:

Not only Spider-Man 2+3, but also Darkman and Army of Darkness

AoD critic example:

The Washington Post praised the film's style: "Bill Pope's cinematography is gymnastic and appropriately frenetic.

For The Wachowskis:

not only the Matrix movies, but also Bound

For Rodriguez

Alita: Battle Angel

and others

Impressive work, but also interesting how many connections he has with Marvel / Disney related directors.

And ~ cult directors

And an MCU actor per Fur (RDJ)

For the moment he is filming the newest Charlie's Angel version.

And seemingly under contract for a 20th Century FOX project I am not sure about what's happening with it for the moment:

Artemis (the book written by Andy Weir, who also wrote The Martian)

to be directed by another Marvel contact point, better said two:

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (they did Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

• Like 6

Users have screen-grabbed it and spread it on China’s parallel Weibo platform, where the hashtag “Shang-Chi casting” has since been viewed 100 million times, and the hashtag “Marvel’s first Chinese hero” has been viewed 590 million times, as well as picked up by all the major entertainment media outlets.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 4

Kroll’s tweet doesn’t indicate a Chinese actor, could just as easily be Chinese American. In fact Chinese American is probably much more likely. I hope that wouldn’t lead to any backlash if the tweet is being misinterpreted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Kroll’s tweet doesn’t indicate a Chinese actor, could just as easily be Chinese American. In fact Chinese American is probably much more likely. I hope that wouldn’t lead to any backlash if the tweet is being misinterpreted.

I got excited when I saw the name of Liu Haoran being name-dropped. I'm a huge fan of his.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:18 PM, UserHN said:

I got excited when I saw the name of Liu Haoran being name-dropped. I'm a huge fan of his.

I’m a big fan of his too, and he’s a fantastic actor with a unique gravitas. But I’m not sure how his English is... 

Not surprised that the top choice of Chinese netizens is Eddie Peng. He ticks all the boxes for superhero but his age is quite a bit older than what Marvel seems to be looking for. He’s been my pick for Namor since ages ago.

I’m on the Ludi Lin train but I’d be just as happy to see them cast a mainland Chinese actor like Liu.