Eric Prime

Wednesday Numbers: Poppins 4.8M l Everything's dead. Screw everything.

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Why were people predicting gigantic numbers for MPR anyway? It never made much sense 

DVD sales mostly; also, massive cross-generational appeal with grandmothers taking the whole family to the theater. And it could still happen!

But if MPR disappoints:

- believe the YouTube Law (low trailer views, insignificant buzz compared to a BATB)

- believe GoogleTrends

Because of this I never understood the hype, but this forum had me convinced that MPR would be the SW of 2018.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Mary Floppins lesson: To have a successful musical, 

Make 

Related image

It 

Related image

Good 

Image result for lady gaga star is born gif

(ie don't hire Rob Marshall) 

The Greatest Showman

Critics trash it, audience love it, I agreed with critics, TGS was trash beside its songs.

Bohemian

Critics bash it, audience love it, I go with audience this round, critics were cluless.

A star is born

Critics love it, audience embrace it. I disagree with both, i feel nothing out of this movie besides the song again.... 

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Maybe I will, but I was also one of the only people predicting this would happen 🧐

Alright. Guess you're gonna be on ignore for the next few weeks. Shame really, I was happy for a while that you were back, but I guess I spoke too soon.

• Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, babz06 said:

I don't know. If you didn't grow up in the 70s/80s, then you don't have much connection to it. Millennials and their kids don't care that much. It'll do fine because it's Disney but i didn't understand the huge predictions either.

This. I said in the MPR thread a few days ago that I thought the big predictions for this were way off the mark. It’ll be successful, but this isn’t some $400 million DOM/$1 billion WW behemoth that’s going to kill all other films released around it. The main audience for this is going to be older people who were raised on it. Millennials and kids for the most part do not care about a singing nanny. Personally I don’t know a single person interested in it.

It’ll still crush everything in the musical mad UK though. Brits love mediocre musicals for some reason...

3 minutes ago, Blankments said:

good. let them all bomb (except Spiderman which can just disappoint)

In B4 a 2015 repeat happens and the Oscars snub another Lord/Miller animated film featuring super-heroes and unconventional animation

Just now, TMP said:

In B4 a 2015 repeat happens and the Oscars snub another Lord/Miller animated film featuring super-heroes and unconventional animation

That will probably happen sadly.

• Sad 1

In hindsight I should’ve stuck to my instincts on Poppins, but I got swept up in the hype around me and went on the $400M hype train. This was always going to have problems appealing to the 13-21 crowd and some kids even with grandparents in full force. Nowadays for family films, online hype is very important although not the end all be all, because it shows whether or not the adults are somewhat interested. This holiday was chocked with other options for kids like Grinch and Ralph 2 in November and December had Spider-Verse, Bumblebee and Aquaman. 

That said it’s still to close to call, Jumanji had insane legs and had a Cinemascore Of A- like MPR.

People overpredicted Mary Floppins because bloggers/journalists/critics were hyping it up as the greatest movie of all time, like they always do with Disney movies, yet people here fall for it every single time. I stopped giving a shit about what these people say ever since they lied saying Batman v Superman was a bad film.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Sad 1